Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random Thread

+3
Ao
Custer Thickett
AnnaMaul
7 posters

Go down

Random Thread Empty Random Thread

Post  AnnaMaul Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:19 pm

So. Lets get to know one another.

I'm 27 years old, but my birthday is at the end of next month so might as well be 28. I'm from Texas and have two kids, a boy and a girl.

Obviously I like RPG's. I got my start on Pen and Papers with Rifts. My uncle and his friends showed me the ropes when I was about 14 and I've been playing since then. I also play 3rd Edition and Pathfinder. I've dabbled in a few other systems, Star Wars Saga Edition, Mutants and Masterminds, Shadowrun and Ironclaw being the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

I play Magic the Gathering, have since 1998. No particular color stands out to me as my favorite, although I tend to have more green decks than any other. Whether that be to preference or just happen to have more of that color is up for debate. I will say I fall quite firmly into the Timmy category of players.

I'm a huge Pro Wrestling buff. I love it. I actually trained for a while but ran out of money and couldn't pay for training anymore so it fizzled out. I've spent a number of years doing E-Fedding, which essentially boils down to a competitive writing competition with a Pro Wrestling theme. Its pretty fun.
AnnaMaul
AnnaMaul
Warrior

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 17
Health:
Random Thread Left_bar_bleue24/24Random Thread Empty_bar_bleue  (24/24)
Hit Dice::
Random Thread Left_bar_bleue2/2Random Thread Empty_bar_bleue  (2/2)

Back to top Go down

Random Thread Empty Re: Random Thread

Post  Custer Thickett Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:45 pm

I'm in my early 30s. No kids that I know of. Unmarried. I'm a drinker and a smoker. I move about a bit. I'm currently in Tampa, but looking to be in Denver in a few months.

I started RP in college with 3e rules. I've been hooked ever since.

I use to live in Texas and still have some family back that way in Austin, Houston, and Tyler. Been there your whole life?
Custer Thickett
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
Random Thread Left_bar_bleue49/49Random Thread Empty_bar_bleue  (49/49)
Random Thread Left_bar_bleue6/6Random Thread Empty_bar_bleue  (6/6)

Back to top Go down

Post  Ao Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:06 pm

Hey. Cool thread Anna, great idea.

I'm Andy. 24 and married with a 2 month old daughter. I work in financial sales, so I'm often on the road during the day.

I started playing D&D just before 3rd edition came out. I was eight or nine, and a guy at camp brought a handful of mishmashed papers, maps, and dice one day. He told us we could slay dragons with them

I was hooked on the idea of being a DM, and I've DM'd most games since. My favorite part of role-playing is location building. I love making towns and dungeons come alive.

Used to be really in to MMO's, but I stopped the craziness after 8 years of Wow. I still play guild wars 2 with my wife from time to time, but it's hard with the little one.

I'm a huge baseball fan. Toronto blue jays are my jam, but I'm also a big Tampa fan Custer. Love me some Joe Maddon.

I have a basset hound and love expensive cheese.

Ha, and that's me

A
Ao
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Character sheet
Armor Class::
Health:
Random Thread Left_bar_bleue1/1Random Thread Empty_bar_bleue  (1/1)
Random Thread Left_bar_bleue0/0Random Thread Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)

Back to top Go down

Post  Custer Thickett Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:13 pm

HaHa, awesome! Smoked Gouda is the jam.
Custer Thickett
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaMaul Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:28 pm

Custer Thickett wrote: Been there your whole life?

For the most part. I live just south of Houston currently, though I spent a few years up in Dallas too. I lived in Georgia, Arkansas, and Lousianna for a time as well. I have family up in Denver, its a nice place from what I remember, although that was back in like 96ish when I visited last.
AnnaMaul
AnnaMaul
Warrior

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  Custer Thickett Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:38 pm

I've lived in all those except Arkansas, but I've spent so much time there I might as well list it to.

Which is better, Dallas or Houston?
Custer Thickett
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaMaul Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:40 pm

Custer Thickett wrote:I've lived in all those except Arkansas, but I've spent so much time there I might as well list it to.

Which is better, Dallas or Houston?  

Personally? Houston, but mostly because I enjoy living right next to a beach.
AnnaMaul
AnnaMaul
Warrior

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  Custer Thickett Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:48 pm

I think even somebody from Dallas would find that hard to argue with.
Custer Thickett
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  Shorjahl Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:29 pm

Hey everyone!

So my name is Ben, I've lived in the Sacramento Valley most of my life. When I was 19 I started my own company (Sigil Stone Publishing) and while I've completed several games and novels, I'm yet to earn one red cent from it. But that's alright, I keep trying, and I'm determined to succeed. I'm now in my late 20s, recently married, and plan to release and Kickstart my new game (hopefully successfully this time) called Vow of Honor.

I work in marketing and advertising during my day job, which can get slow and very boring (I manage PPC accounts, if that means anything to you. Basically tons of spreadsheet work.) which gives me ample time to spend on PBP games.

My first exposure to D&D was when my older brother (who is eight years my senior) was playing AD&D with his middle school friends. I was five or six at the time, and just downright fascinated hearing everything. I'd look through the books and play with the dice, but obviously didn't know how to make them work or manipulate the rules. My first game proper was run by my brother when I was about 7, I made a halfling thief who rode around on a battle cat (yes, like a house cat with a saddle) it was pretty sweet.

The first RPG book that I purchased myself was WEG d6 Star Wars Second Edition, which I loved dearly (and still have to this day.) My friends and I would try to get a game going, as we loved SW, but were still too young to properly play with structured arcs and roles. By the time I was about 12 I tried my hand at proper DMing, and ran a very short and abysmal Forgotten Realms game.

Since then I've played tons of games, and spent well over a thousand hours in the GM's seat. Most of my time now focuses on design rather than playing, unfortunately.

I've never had alcohol or anything that could be considered a drug (except for caffeine, and no I'm not Mormon.) I love meat even though my wife's a vegetarian (sigh). My favorite movie is Forrest Gump, favorite show is Breaking Bad, favorite book is Ender's Game, favorite video game is Stacraft, favorite tabletop game is probably Vow of Honor (biased I know.)
Shorjahl
Shorjahl
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 12
Health:
Random Thread Left_bar_bleue4/4Random Thread Empty_bar_bleue  (4/4)

Back to top Go down

Post  Ao Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:02 am

Hey thats awesome Ben!

Arthur (Osvald) and I are working on a card-based RPG game called 8bit Legends, and have been for some time. Perhaps we can send it to you for playtest some time in the future Smile

Really neat. Don't give up on that dream, for sure!

Cheers
-Andy
Ao
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgeless Kilik Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:17 pm

I'm Matt; 33, married, a rampageous 1-year-old son named Henry and a high-anxiety cockapoo (which is a type of dog, I am told) named Obie.

My wife and I moved to Denver (where she's from - I grew up in Massachusetts) last year after living in NYC for ten years after college. I work from home now (which is awesome) running marketing for a web start-up.

Like David, I'm a long-time pro-wrestling fan (I once went to an elementary school Halloween party in the 1980s dressed as The Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase...no regrets) and briefly did some consulting work for the WWE in my NYC days, which was sweet.

My cousin and I saved our allowances to buy all of these AD&D splatbooks back in the day, but neither of us ever played a game. The idea sort of fell off along the way, until I rediscovered TTRPG after college when I realized that I didn't care what anybody else thought about my hobbies or interests. I've been playing pretty actively for the last five years, primarily 4E and 5E (since they started playtesting), along with a bunch of Dresden Files, Pathfinder, and a handful of others here and there along the way.
Forgeless Kilik
Forgeless Kilik
Warrior

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
Random Thread Left_bar_bleue33/33Random Thread Empty_bar_bleue  (33/33)
Random Thread Left_bar_bleue3/3Random Thread Empty_bar_bleue  (3/3)

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaMaul Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:49 pm

Forgeless Kilik wrote:
Like David, I'm a long-time pro-wrestling fan (I once went to an elementary school Halloween party in the 1980s dressed as The Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase...no regrets) and briefly did some consulting work for the WWE in my NYC days, which was sweet.

You just made a friend for life. What kind of consulting work did you do?
AnnaMaul
AnnaMaul
Warrior

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  Custer Thickett Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:03 pm

I watched some wrestling when I was pretty young back in the early 90s.  The Road Warriors were my fav because I was a pretty big madmax thunderdome fan at 7, lol.

Random Thread Roadwarriors

Remember us?
Custer Thickett
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaMaul Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:43 pm

Custer Thickett wrote:I watched some wrestling when I was pretty young back in the early 90s.  The Road Warriors were my fav because I was a pretty big madmax thunderdome fan at 7, lol.  

Random Thread Roadwarriors

Remember us?

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWHAT A RUSH!

Hell yeah. Road Warriors are legends man.
AnnaMaul
AnnaMaul
Warrior

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Random Thread Empty My Intro

Post  Kellar Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:45 pm

Hey there,

I'm Bear, 33, I've lived in the same area of Wisconsin for a large part of my life but I've traveled a lot for work and vacation. I have four kids, three from marrying my wife, and one with her. Our youngest is 21 months old and she's quite a handful! I'm still doing the school thing, although I'm doing it online to maintain a full time job (I work in tribal gaming, in Surveillance) and maintain my hobbies.

I've played HeroQuest since I was 11, that was first foray into fantasy gaming and I've been hooked on it ever since. I've played Magic: The Gathering in various incarnations and sold off my collection just after the Wrath Cycle. After that I played 2e, 3.5, then Pathfinder, then 4e and now 5e with this group. I'm currently DMing a Play by Post Dungeon Worlds campaign for my nephews and keeping in touch with them that way since we generally get together during the holidays.

That's about it for a quick write up, I'm a bit behind the group in posting for the first go around so I'm off to do that now!

Bear
Kellar
Kellar
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  Custer Thickett Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:07 pm

Dungeon World IS AWESOME!

Kellar wrote:Hey there,

I'm Bear, 33, I've lived in the same area of Wisconsin for a large part of my life but I've traveled a lot for work and vacation. I have four kids, three from marrying my wife, and one with her. Our youngest is 21 months old and she's quite a handful! I'm still doing the school thing, although I'm doing it online to maintain a full time job (I work in tribal gaming, in Surveillance) and maintain my hobbies.

I've played HeroQuest since I was 11, that was first foray into fantasy gaming and I've been hooked on it ever since. I've played Magic: The Gathering in various incarnations and sold off my collection just after the Wrath Cycle. After that I played 2e, 3.5, then Pathfinder, then 4e and now 5e with this group. I'm currently DMing a Play by Post Dungeon Worlds campaign for my nephews and keeping in touch with them that way since we generally get together during the holidays.

That's about it for a quick write up, I'm a bit behind the group in posting for the first go around so I'm off to do that now!

Bear
Custer Thickett
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  Custer Thickett Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:10 pm

Oh damn, HeroQuest as well? That was the first experience I had with DND like rules as well. I was probably 13 or 14 living in the sticks out in Louisiana. My parents bought it and played it with me when they were in town. Great game. I still have some of the minis and use them when I can get offline games together.
Custer Thickett
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kellar Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:21 pm

Yeah, we had two of the four expansions and played those quite a bit. My brother in law had found an extra set sitting at a Goodwill near where he lives and said JACKPOT! and bought them on the cheap. We used that to teach my nephews how to play rpg's and I got them interested in Dungeon World as a result, so it's been a long time coming.
Kellar
Kellar
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  Ao Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:46 pm

What was the appeal of heroscape? The miniatures (toys? action figures?) always looked really janky to me. The terrain was kind of neat, but I didnt really understand how it was to be used?

Was it a really good skirmish game? Or was it like, a lego-d&d hybrid?

-Ao
Ao
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  Ao Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:47 pm

Dungeon World IS awesome. I've read a lot of RPG rulebooks, and reading DW got me more excited than anything until 5e came out.

Custer Thickett wrote:Dungeon World IS AWESOME!

Kellar wrote:Hey there,

Bear
Ao
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kellar Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:58 pm

Ao wrote:What was the appeal of heroscape? The miniatures (toys? action figures?) always looked really janky to me. The terrain was kind of neat, but I didnt really understand how it was to be used?

Was it a really good skirmish game? Or was it like, a lego-d&d hybrid?

-Ao

Heroscape was a game system all unto itself. I did have the Valhalla game set, but there were so many others that came out at the time. They even had Marvel Comics characters as part of a set too. The tile system they had were pretty neat too, it was all hexagonal pieces made into different forming shapes to build terrain, bridges, heights, etc. The terrain and heights added bonuses and penalties to attacks and movements, and terrain factored into "line of sight" for ray attacks and ranged attacks. That game system is way different than HeroQuest though. HeroQuest was straight up dungeon crawling with missions included in the main game, and mini expansions were added to increase playability, and often surrounded the strengths of one of the character classes. HeroQuest definitely can be pulled into roll20 and be played as a quick and dirty game without much setup needed. Just setup the dungeon, pick a class and start playing.

Bear
Kellar
Kellar
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgeless Kilik Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:22 pm

AnnaMaul wrote:
Forgeless Kilik wrote:

You just made a friend for life.  What kind of consulting work did you do?

So, it's a bit weird.

I was the number-two guy at this TV packaging start up in NYC (We would make up ideas for TV shows and try to sell them to networks...you can make a good living doing that, even if nothing you create ever gets on the air. Anyway.)

My boss' kids went to school with Shane McMahon's kids, and they got to know each other. One day, Shane was like "My dad could really use some help; do you think you could do something there." My boss, who knew very little about wrestling, mentioned this to me in an offhand way and I was like "GIMME A HELL YEAH".

So I spent a bunch of nights hanging out with Shane (who was long gone from the company in a formal way -- this was 2011), hearing his ideas and sharing mine, trying to figure out how to tell longer-form stories within the WWE format. It culminated in going up to Connecticut to pitch Vince and the senior staff a whole bunch of ideas about show structure and content. As a fan, it was totally sweet. As a consultant, we didn't get the gig -- but they did end up doing a bunch of the things that we had suggested in this like 20 page proposal I wrote, so in my heart I feel like I did my part.

Was definitely one of the highlights of a weird gig that I did for a couple of years (I'm in marketing now).
Forgeless Kilik
Forgeless Kilik
Warrior

Character sheet
Health:
Random Thread Left_bar_bleue33/33Random Thread Empty_bar_bleue  (33/33)
Random Thread Left_bar_bleue3/3Random Thread Empty_bar_bleue  (3/3)

Back to top Go down

Post  Osvald Hale Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:16 pm

Hey guys,

I'm a 27 year old American ex-pat (Naples, FL) dude living and working in Toronto, Canada.

No children, just a cat from the pit of hell itself.

I'm a lifelong sci-if/fantasy/comic fan, got into the nerd game early. Masters of the Universe to Hellboy to Firefly to Akira to Lovecraft, I ain't picky.
My tabletop RPing began with 3e d&d , but I put most of my time in with Pathfinder and some throw back 1e campaigns. Dropped out of the scene for awhile to avoid 4e, excited to try this (my first) 5e campaign.
Had some fun with systems like Star Wars saga/d20 modern/shadow run as well!
More recently I've been keeping things to console gaming and table top war games (WH40k) and reading everything I can find by Laird Barron.
Outside of my day job I do some freelance illustration/design and play in a few local bands.
I also know our DM, Andy, personally--I contribute art/development assets to a few gaming projects he is working on up north here in my spare time!

Excited for this campaign, seems like we have a really good group of people!

Osvald Hale
Osvald Hale
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Health:
Random Thread Left_bar_bleue41/41Random Thread Empty_bar_bleue  (41/41)

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaMaul Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:10 pm

So. We have any Dragon Ball Z Abridged fans here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nYozPLpJRE&list=PL6EC7B047181AD013

If you've never seen it, its basically a group of guys took Dragon Ball Z and condensed episodes down to about 10 minutes each with new voice overs and, incredibly, its own storyline that manages to follow the original and yet still do its own thing. The biggest difference though is in the personalities. Like Goku is an idiot who neglects Gohan(as hilariously as posisble). Vegeta is even more Vegeta than he is in the real show(you'll know what I mean after you watch it) and so on.

They are currently on episode 43 and are at the beginning of the Cell Saga. They have also done a few of the movies, and also do an Abridged version of Attack on Titan(but its a side project and only has one episode).
AnnaMaul
AnnaMaul
Warrior

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  Ao Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:47 pm

This is actually really cool,

I watched DBZ as a kid. Ive been meaning to rewatch them, but its a big commitment. You say this follows the same general story?

AnnaMaul wrote:So.  We have any Dragon Ball Z Abridged fans here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nYozPLpJRE&list=PL6EC7B047181AD013

If you've never seen it, its basically a group of guys took Dragon Ball Z and condensed episodes down to about 10 minutes each with new voice overs and, incredibly, its own storyline that manages to follow the original and yet still do its own thing.  The biggest difference though is in the personalities.  Like Goku is an idiot who neglects Gohan(as hilariously as posisble).  Vegeta is even more Vegeta than he is in the real show(you'll know what I mean after you watch it) and so on.

They are currently on episode 43 and are at the beginning of the Cell Saga.  They have also done a few of the movies, and also do an Abridged version of Attack on Titan(but its a side project and only has one episode).
Ao
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  Osvald Hale Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:31 pm

Yeah! They actually did an amazing job on those, though I've only watched about ~15 episodes worth.
Osvald Hale
Osvald Hale
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Character sheet
Health:
Random Thread Left_bar_bleue41/41Random Thread Empty_bar_bleue  (41/41)

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaMaul Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:48 pm

Ao wrote:This is actually really cool,

I watched DBZ as a kid. Ive been meaning to rewatch them, but its a big commitment. You say this follows the same general story?

Yeah. If you know the story of the original series, this follows that. Radditz-> Nappa/Vegeta ->Frieza -> Androids/Cell. And then they've done a few of the movies which are also all pretty good. Like both Cooler movies and stuff. The big difference is that these are a very comedic version of the main series, so its all about the laughs.
AnnaMaul
AnnaMaul
Warrior

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaMaul Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:29 pm

Any NFL fans by any chance?
AnnaMaul
AnnaMaul
Warrior

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  Ao Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:03 pm

Im a burgeoning Vikings fan. My brother in law is from minnesota and hes teaching me the game. Im canadian right, we have the cfl and it sucks lol.

Whose yr team anna?
Ao
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaMaul Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:05 am

I grew up a Cowboys fan, my dad's favorite team is Packers so I have a lot of love for those two teams. My #1 team though is the Houston Texans.
AnnaMaul
AnnaMaul
Warrior

Character sheet
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down