Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Making Decisions

Go down

Making Decisions Empty Making Decisions

Post  Ao Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:10 pm

There comes a time in PBP games where some, especially folks who dont quite know one another yet, find it awkward to take the lead on making decisions. The problem is, as a DM I find it very hard to advance the timeline if people don't let me know -exactly- what they want to do.

If I don't know exactly what you want to do, I have to take a guess. And if I guess, then Im playing your character for you...something I refuse to do out of principle and the fact that it makes the game significantly less fun for the players.

Therefore, this is how I handle situations within my PBPs - it is a system that lends to the idea of people taking charge:

The last idea put forth is the one I will act on

What does this mean exactly?

If Harvuth says: "Let's go to the Cider Lowlands!"

And Cedric posts 4 hours later, saying: "No no no, there is a dragon there. Let's go to the Ciderwood instead"

Then you will be going to the Ciderwood. Now you might find this unfair, but let's remember that D&D is a game about making decisions together. You will all be acting for the greater good of the party; if a major discrepancy occurs then we can talk about it, but generally if someone goes against an idea previously put forth its for good reason.

The extremely large benefit of this, is that -everyone- can feel free to make a decision in their post. For example, Midnorton might say: Let's go the abandoned keep!

And then cedric might respond: Good idea Midnorton, but lets go get rope first.

To which Tanis might say:

Indeed, but we'll need some super rope from Travethyl, in the next town. So let's head there first.

In the end, the plan gets done, and the stream of consciousness is accepted.

Cheers,

-Ao
Ao
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Character sheet
Armor Class::
Health:
Making Decisions Left_bar_bleue1/1Making Decisions Empty_bar_bleue  (1/1)
Hit Dice::
Making Decisions Left_bar_bleue0/0Making Decisions Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum