Chapter Four

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Dwan Bolduum on Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:08 am

Three months to live... The fact fills Dwan's mind with fear. Dwan's body seems to work on autopilot as he exits the apothecary and wanders the streets of Baulder's Gate. Partially being lost in a big city and partially from being lost in thought Dwan travels to the poorer side town.

He is snapped out of it when he is shoved into an alley by two men. The two approach Dwan as he looks up from the ground, the leader of the two draws a long knife out from his cloak, Give us your money you old drunk! Dwan looks toward the two and sees the second assailant look around nervously. The money! I'll have no problem letting you bleed out, nobody's going to miss one dead dwarf.

These poor souls, he thinks as his body starts to change shape. The assailants appear to mistake his growl as a drunken groan, before they can react Dwan transforms into a large black Direwolf. He bares his teeth at the two attackers and barks loudly. The skittish screams and runs from the alley, the other takes two steps back before realizing that his partner has left. Dwan approaches slowly and lets his fur stand on end as he growls at the man. The knife clatters to the ground and the man runs.

This Dwarf will not die easily.

=====================================

As the sun sets on the City Dwan walks his way up the gangplank he looks towards Cecil and Kellar hard at work training on deck. Dwan sees some dark red spots decorating Cecil's sides and limbs.

That boy will hardly be able to move tomorrow, that's when the real training will begin.

=====================================

As the group decides their next course of action on the ship Dwan tells his friends about his curse.

I will continue to take the herb that I was given to hold it off, but even with that Lady Isylte says I can only make it three months before the curse takes over. I don't wish to derail our journey while we have some traction but I must find the Lady Mush-ra at some point in the coming months, and I'd rather we get this over sooner rather than later. When we stop near Calimshan I suggest at least finding out where we can locate the woman.

=====================================

In Athkatla Dwan joins the group to meet with the High Harper he listens closely as Custer and the rest of the party discuss further ventures with this group.
avatar
Dwan Bolduum
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 224
Join date : 2015-01-29

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 14
Health:
57/57  (57/57)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Custer Thickett on Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:38 am

It takes another full day for Custer and the others to get all the supplies from Woodrech loaded on Trios Pistoles. With the other goods that Artimus had acquired, the ship was stuffed full and sitting low in the water. The loss of space had become a burden for most, but Custer counted himself lucky, and barely noticed aside from the changes in his own space where his gear was stowed. Still, he preferred the piece of mind he found with a sturdy wooden chest with a well crafted lock. He slept better now than he had on the journey in.

He spent some time working with Cecil and Ara. Kellar's interest in Woodrech's bastard kept him from getting too involved with the boy's training, but the conversations they shared trimming the lateen sails were productive. "Ya father sent ya with us for Thorold's own god an ya know it, yeah? It's less to do with ya than all that. He wants ya safe and made it clear what he'd see done to me iffen ya go getting killed. Ya gonna do fine with us, boy. Find ya strengths, yeah? Might be they not here," Cuss points at his flexed bicep, "But here," Cuss points at his head, "Or here." Cuss points at his crotch. When Cecil laughs, Cuss scolds him, "Whoa, easy on that rope, boy, ya going to pull the wind out of it!"

His mood was sour in the harbor of Athkatla. Cuss had never spent time in the jewel of Amn. The last time he saw the beautiful buildings of the capital city, it was from here looking beyond the docks. He had to leave without walking her streets, a fact he'd not repeat today. So, he paced up and down the deck, cussing at anything that came near. "Shut the fook up ya damned seagull. The hells ya know about it anyhow?"

In the promenade, Custer was all tourist. He bounced from stall to stall more akin to Ara than the Halfling his friends had come to know over many weeks. He smiled, laughed, and talked non stop. "Oiy, we've this back home, and me thinks Walton's look and smell better. Ooh, but this. I've never seen this. Look, Osvald!" Cuss hands him a breaded snake wrapped around a crispy grilled bird leg the size of Custer's head. The merchant behind him turns a shade of red as he yells, "Touch it you buy it! Three silver for that one!"

If not for Dwan's uncomfortable insistence, Cuss may have never left to get the group to the White Pearl. For this, Custer was grateful. The distractions of childhood dreams were pleasant, but his life had purpose now, and he'd see his quest complete. Esmeltaran was counting on him.

Custer rises to greet the beautiful dark skinned lady as she approached the group, offering a shallow bow as she introduce herself. He remained standing, his cloak pushed over his shoulders, as she sat and helped herself to wine and a plum. He covers his mouth with the closed fist of his right hand and politely clears his throat. Then he brings the hand forward and upturned, gesturing in the direction of each individual as he introduces them to Asial. His dialect is more proper than his friends were used to. "My lady, I present to you the Founder of the Kraken's Fist and Captain of the Trios Pistoles, Artimus DeLonde. Dragoon and Dragon Slayer, Kellar the Blue. Last in a long, ancient bloodline of heros, Lord Osvald Hale. Former Champion of the Golden Army, the Noble Dwan Bolduum."

Custer then swings his arm across his waist as he bows low, "I am Custer Thickett." Custer rises slowly to give his eyes times to see her entire form, smiling behind a plum. "We are the Saviors of the Soulwood, and together, we captured the former Harper Sorren, foiling his plot to crush the temple of Umberlee in Bauldur's Gate by summoning the Flamelord through the Urn he stole from the vaults here in Athkatla."

Cuss helps himself to the wine, pours a cup, and then offers the decanter to Artimus. He then sits across from Asial, and continues, "We've come to you for help. The realm is in grave peril. It seems that Sothis's attack on Esmeltaran was but the beginning. The mad god Cyric plots to conquer Toril, and has called to him many powerful mortal allies in his quest for items of power that would allow them to do just that. We believe that his priest are in the Small Teeth with an army around them. If they find what they are looking for, Amn and Tethyr would burn in an instant."

Custer sips the wine, then keeps talking. "We know that nobility from the Drow underdark have turned from Lloth to Cyric in this. We've also reason to believe a magical curse that turn the living into an army of undead just outside Bauldur's Gate might be connected. Might be."

After answering some of her questions and letting others weigh in, Cuss looks at Dwan, and his eyes widen. He interrupts, "My Lady, before I forget. You said you were a Calishite Princess. Might you have association with the Lady Mush-ra?"
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Osvald Hale on Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:10 am

The city was beautiful. That Osvald could not deny. But the hundreds of ships berthed at her docks meant thousands of coins, and that much wealth drew danger to it like flies to a fresh corpse. They best be on their guard.

The ranger looked down from the crows nest to Ara and Cecil sprinting along the deck under orders barked from Savoy to get the Pistoles prepared to dock. He thought about warning them both to stay on board...

'Ah, but it'd be no use anyway. Ara's too headstrong, and Cecil has grown too eager to prove himself. They'd only resent the order and sneak out on their own accord.' He thinks glumly before sighing. Throwing a leg over the guard rail he steps down into the rigging to don his armour and prepare to enter the city.

...

The buzz of the massive Market was intense, a myriad of smells both intoxicating and foul merged into a throbbing medley Osvald could only describe as Commerce. Here trinkets, weapons, foods, pets of every kind and description were for sale. It was a little overwhelming for the woodsman, but Artimus and Cuss especially seemed right at home. Kellar seemed to lock eyes with something for a moment, straitening and walking prouder than usual. Certainly more than a few eyes were on the massive man, blue skin shimmering gold in the sunlight. Whatever the affliction was, Kellar seemed healthy enough...

They paused at a stall heavy with the smell of frying grease, Cuss shoved a crunchy looking blend of meats into Osvalds face.

"Ah.. Yea, It looks quite good Cuss... What... Uh... what is it?"

Later, the stop at an armorsmithy for a time while Orbaugh is fitted for a coat of mail. Osvald thought to protest, but since the poor little dragon hadn't regained his flight yet, the ranger saw no harm in him gaining some protection. Plus, he seemed to like it, chittering happily and curling around Kellars shoulders.

Osvald wondered what they spoke of, in their secret conversations... perhaps how best to slay the larger of his kind?

...

The ranger shifts nervously under their hosts eyes and Cuss waves him arm across them slowly and speaks his flamboyant introductions. Osvald trades an awkward glance with Kellar and Artimus, though the later seems to be throughly enjoying the pomp.

When Cuss bows, Osvald lowers his head and does the same.

Introductions complete, Cuss launches right into business. Osvald knows better than to interrupt his shrewd tongue, and walks to the cushions near Kellar, Prefering to stand, but allowing the other more diplomatic members of the party to engage their lady host.

=====

Osvalds gonna stay out of the fancy talk, he knows Cuss and Artimus have got this.
avatar
Osvald Hale
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 268
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Toronto, Canada

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
41/41  (41/41)
Hit Dice::
4/4  (4/4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Artimus DeLonde on Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:41 pm

In the Harbour
===============

The cool air chills Artimus' skin, the Lacrimoso (Sad or down) melody of the coming winter. A counterpoint to summer’s Vivacious Symphony.

Artimus passed the wheel to Ara with a wink while he disappeared below deck to retrieve his thick wolf furred cloak. A warm feral embrace to match the cold's seeping whisper.

The Wheel was massive in the young guttersnipe's hand. The boy beamed, a ship, a crew, a life in his hands.

When Artimus returned, Ara signaled his reluctance to let the helm go with an upwards glace that said "Just a moment longer".

"You zee now what I zee Mon petite souris. Zhiz life is freedom, and it waz alwayz meant for me. Had I not created my whole world, I would have zertainly have died in other people'z."

High Harper
========
High willows cast peaceful shadows over the cloister of men that sat awaiting the audience of the high Harper. Polished marble pillars stood as echoes to the stallward guardsmen that dotted the mansion.

The plush cushions pushed their way uncomfortably into Artimus' legs; he balanced himself much in the same way he would brace for ebbing waves of the sea. He balanced a small plate with an assortment of cheese, bread and figs.

Artimus gladly accepted the decanter from Custer filling his glass.

“So, friends. How may I be of service?”

My lady, I present to you the Founder of the Kraken's Fist and Captain of the Trios Pistoles

Artimus Cringed at the mention of his name and the Kraken's Fist

"Mademoizelle Azial, it iz an honor to be in your audience, not becauze of your title, but becauze of the deedz your people carry out. Additionally, I admire your zubterfuge, zometimez it iz... necezzary"

Artimus said as he produced a white Razela bloom from his cloak, almost a characature of himself.

“Zomething my fine friend Cuzter here zeemz to forget, The Organization, and itz memberz are zecret.  I hope I can truzt you with thiz.”

Passing the flower to the Dusky, thin woman with a smile.

[Charm] 1d20+6= 21
==============================
Questions for the High Harper

- Do you have any knowledge of the rod
("he gifted it to her, bestowing upon Loleith not only the power of godliness, but the power of creation. He called the rod - the Halichondath.")?
- Why has Athkatla been so slow to respond to the threat of force that attacked Esmelteran?
- What would be needed to get the forces of Amn to respond to the threat?
- Does she think someone is intentionally influencing Amn to turn a blind eye to Sothis and his army?
- Does she have any information on Verdi de Vecci, his movements or whereabouts?


Setup trade deal with Drexel
Charm Asial, and attempt to gain information

Luck Reroll


Last edited by Artimus DeLonde on Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:21 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : EDIT TO CLARIFY ROD = HALICHONDATH)
avatar
Artimus DeLonde
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 528
Join date : 2010-08-16
Age : 33
Location : GTA

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
50/61  (50/61)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  DiceMaster on Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:41 pm

The member 'Artimus DeLonde' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 8, 15

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Ao on Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:36 pm

Asial smiles, the sweet scent of her perfume ambient in the clearing. She accepts the flower from Artimus, a cunning grin on her crimson lips.

“You wouldn’t be the first rogue of the sea to charm me with a glance and a flower.” she laughs, as if it was her own private joke.

“Thank you, Captain DeLonde. I know of the Kraken’s Fist, and rest assured that I’ll keep you and it a secret.”

She nods at Custer, pointing at a ripe blue cheese in recommendation as a few of the fellowship try and navigate the voluminous and sophisticated offerings.

“Your concerns are grave, halfling.”

Asial listens intently, nodding as Custer explains the situation.

She then turns to Artimus, as he asks his questions.

“I know of the situation in Esmeltaran. Geld and Andrianna sent me a missive, and I’ve done what I can to investigate the sacking from afar. It is nebulous, fellowship. Rumblings of this ogre warlord Sothis to the south, the one that rides the blue dragon, are shaky at best. News travels quickly across Amn, but few believe the stories to any degree.”

She takes a deep drink of wine.

“The Council of Six, Athkatla’s governing body of anonymous lords, have dismissed talks of blue dragons as folly. One hundred Athkatlan Honorgarde were dispatched to Esmeltaran, and nothing more. Knowing the way the Honorgarde operate, they’re likely interfering more than helping. No, the council believes that these warbands riding freely through the roadways of Amn are nothing more than an organized orcen uprising - a matter to be solved provincially.”

Asial tightens her lips, sitting back upon the pillows. A bluebird swoops low, skipping across the table and making off with a cracker.

“It has long been the case that Athkatla’s interests begin and end with Athkatla. Amn is a nation of capitalists. It is in the blood of this country to be self-interested. Only when the warlord Sothis knocks upon the great golden gates will the Council of Six respond. This is why Amn needs the Harpers, despite their mistrust for our organization.”

She drinks again, placing her glass down.

“So. We may stew in the wrongs of our world, or we may solve them. I do not know, Artimus, if any of power in Athkatla or Amn abroad are pulling the strings of this calamity. Surely, a thousand pockets stand to benefit in times of war and strife. And Custer, this information of the Drow is fascinating. Undoubtedly, Sothis and these men of Cyric have ties to the Underdark. All filth flows that way.”

“To respond to these threats, it will take a measure of politicking. I can assist in this way. I have influence in the merchant community, and if they feel their caravans are unsafe, they will bend the council to increase its presence on our roadways. Perhaps then they will be be unable to ignore the forces of Sothis roaming our countryside.”

Asial stands, pacing towards an enormous bush of violet blooms. She plucks one, breathing deeply from it.

“There is no doubt that this threat has roots in the Small Teeth. The Harpers have one who rides with the Road Wardens of Imnescar. He is a ranger named Olufsen.”

Osvald’s ears perk up. Olufsen… a ranger of the Small Teeth, a road warden of Imnescar? It couldn’t be…
Olufsen The Shadow? An older cousin of his, of the Hale clan. Osvald had not seen him since he was a boy…

“Olufsen operates from The Fangwold, the road warden’s keep between Esmeltaran and Imnescar. Tell him I have sent you. He will offer you his aid, I am sure of it.”

Asial sits back down, looking tired.

“Amn is fortunate to have you, fellowship. This business of Cyric, and Ogre Warlords is troubling. I hope you will be able to unravel its web. In the meantime, I will extend my influence here, and provide you with what resources I can. I will send word to Olufsen about the situation. In the meantime, please enjoy my hospitality, and stay as long as you will.”

She cocks her head at Custer, when he asks of Lady Mush-Ra. Asial chuckles softly.

“I don’t know who told you of Lady Mush-Ra, master Thickett.” she says, a broad smile upon her face. “I have not heard her name since I was a girl.”

“She is a legend of Calimshan. A…myth, most would agree. Lady Mush-Ra is a gnarled old woman, who rides through the desert in a chariot of ivory, pulled by horses of pure white. They say she is the queen of the desert, and the mistress of a powerful Genasi named Qjiar, who can heal any illness. Needless to say, I have never met her.”

Asiel smiles again, amusedly. And then, she motions again to the ripened blue cheese, and to her slender hips.

Vainly, she remarks; “If it were not for this cheese, fellowship, I would be a much thinner woman.”

=============================

Ok fellows.

Artimus, Asial knows nothing of Verdi Di Vicci, and Im not sure what Rod you were inquiring about? Is it in your marketplace post? I haven’t read it yet.

If that’s all fellows, I’d say let’s set sail. Tell me your next destination, even if you have some small followup questions. Here, or in the marketplace, you can tell me how you spend the rest of your day In Athkatla…but let’s get on with it shall we!

EXP: +20
avatar
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 28
Location : ON

Character sheet
Armor Class::
Health:
1/1  (1/1)
Hit Dice::
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Osvald Hale on Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:11 pm

Osvald rests a hand on Dwan's shoulder as the lady speaks her knowledge of Mush-Ra. He worries for the proud dwarf, this news does not bode well.

The audience finishes with a bittersweet tone, some questions answered, many more left unfettered in the veil of mystery. Osvald gently takes the High Harpers hand, and thanks her for her hospitality as the party leaves the audience chamber.

When they clear the buildings doors, and are safely out of ear shot of the guards, He motions for the party to follow him down the first secluded side street.

After the fellowship have all entered the alley, Osvald waits for a moment for a passersby to stroll through their midst carrying Brussels of fragrant herbs, before huddling in and speaking his thoughts.

"I think it's best the Harpers are kept unaware of the Rod. Just as Sorren left their order, there are doubtlessly many other who wouldn't think twice of a swift betrayal at the promise of power. Let's allow the Harpers and the provincial powers to focus on the larger scale conflict brewing, and let us keep to our secret mission--just as the Cryicists use the Orcish hordes to mask their goal. Now, and we al--" He stops abruptly as a family passes, hand in hand. "We ought to put it to a vote, by I think the trail is warmest to the north of the small teeth. The man lady Asial spoke of, the ranger Olufsen. I know him, we met many times when I was a boy. He's a distant cousin, but my blood. He's seen enough winters to know this one bodes something worse than just bitter cold--he will help us." He pauses again, looking to the others in turn.

"I vote we sail south, past the river Esmel, and head further on to Imnescar, there keeping the Trois Pistoles close to the sea where she'll be safer should all out war erupt. From there, we travel the trade road until we reach the warden way-station. Once we establish the situation, we can move on to stock Mountains Root as a base of operations, or head elsewhere as need dictates." Osvald shifts slightly, looks to the others awaiting a response.

...

As the party breaks and heads back towards the vessel, Osvald takes Dwan aside--"I know your condition is dire, Master Dwarf. Perhaps we should consult another Calishite in the city before we depart... A city as big as this hold many secrets, a few of which must certainly be of use?"

=====

Osvald wants to head to the way station and see Olufsen by way of Immescar.
avatar
Osvald Hale
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 268
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Toronto, Canada

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
41/41  (41/41)
Hit Dice::
4/4  (4/4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Artimus DeLonde on Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:54 am

Vainly, she remarks; “If it were not for this cheese, fellowship, I would be a much thinner woman.”

1d20+6 Charm [16]


Au Contrare ma ‎rose du désert, your form is queztionlezz, and I muzt take care or find myzelf captive to it.

Artimus flirted as he sensually finished an entire wheel of cheese. All way down to the rind. Nibbling the small bits in the corner. All the while maintaining unwavering eye contact.
====
To Dwan
=====
Rezt Azzured Mazter Dwarf, We will not turn a blind eye to your needz,  regardlezz of what comez of our interdiction in Zothiz's rize. We will zet out to find thiz healer, zhis Lady Muzh-Ra  before the end of the zecond month.
====
Strolling down the streets of Atlathka
====

Artimus Listened intently to Osvald's intentions, to keep their movements layered and hidden only sharing what they must.

"We can keep our cardz  cloze to t'ze chezt, however we will have to venture an inquiry to zome. We rizk expozure and it iz nessicary.  Olufsen is a good start, and we have another zhread to pull on at zhe keep between Ezmelteran and Imnezcar. I am in agreement, if we are in agreement zet uz zail tuit suite. Z'hey call it the Road of Fangz, perhapz we take a bite out of Zothiz, non?
====

Messages to Catsgruth

"We have made port at Atlathka and make out way to you at the keep of the roadwarden'z. If you and your brotherz are in need of anything, make it known. I have a zmall zpace in the hold zet azide for the for the good men that guard the Road of Fangz. Bezidez it givez uz a reazon for making zhe journey keeping our true aim zercet. You know what I cautioz man I am Mon ami. Keep your prizoner fresh, We may have to azk zhe tough queztionz.  [I'm hoping the proximity allows for a faster response]

=========
Artimus expertly flirts with Asiel
Messages Catsgruth and obtains anything the roadwardens request
1d20+6 Charm


Last edited by Artimus DeLonde on Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:36 pm; edited 3 times in total
avatar
Artimus DeLonde
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 528
Join date : 2010-08-16
Age : 33
Location : GTA

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
50/61  (50/61)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  DiceMaster on Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:54 am

The member 'Artimus DeLonde' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 10

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Custer Thickett on Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:24 pm

Asiel wrote:"dismissed talks of blue dragons as folly...  a matter to be solved provincially."

"Folly?  Far from it.  We..."  Cuss stops talking as some jump at the sudden appearance of the bluebird.  Cuss glances toward Dwan, Clever.  "We saw the blue beast dive into the City at night and crush the old royal Meiritin castle to the ground before dawn, just like that.  When daylight showed us the scars of their brief passing, the sky itself was marked to show their pride in having murdered, raped, and burned half my city to ashes."  Cuss drains his wine glass, and rest the empty vessel in his lap as he listens.

Asiel wrote:"I have influence in the merchant community,"

Custer waits for the appropriate pause to interject an off topic question, then ask Asiel, "My lady, perhaps your influence in the merchant community has brought you some small word as to the recent travels of Trader's Glory and me, uh, my father, Lincoln Thickett?"  Custer tilts his head as he observes Asiel faintly frown, and quickly explains, "I wish to know my sister is safe.  I've not seen her since they, uh. evacuated."

Asiel wrote:"Needless to say, I have never met her."

Cuss looks at Dwan and Osvald grasping the dwarf's shoulder.  His left cheek twitches with frustration.  His newest friend's situation seemed so dire.  There had to be another way.  He looks back to Asiel, "Then mayhaps you know of someone familiar with magical curses?"

[Rolling investigate, with advantage based on Artimus's charm. +1]
9 Sad trombone

Osvald wrote:"Just as Sorren left their order, there are doubtlessly many other who wouldn't think twice of a swift betrayal at the promise of power... let us keep to our secret mission."

Custer interjects as the family passes by.  "Ya right, Lord Hale.  Captain,"  He looks up at Artimus, "I'm sorry for the loose tongue on ya Fist.  Me thinks I woan be doing that to ya again."

Osvald wrote:"We can move on to stock Mountains Root."
 

"We going to be needing a wagon and two oxes to pull.  Might make for better cover anyhow.  Merchant's caravan, yeah?"  Cuss shrugs.

Artimus wrote:"Z'hey call it the Road of Fangz, perhapz we take a bite out of Zothiz, non?"

Custer throws his head back and bellows a laugh only as a Halfling can.  As he catches his breath, "Aye...  Aye."

"When do we depart, Captain?  If time allow it, I'd like to call on some house contacts before nightfall.  Doan worry, I woan be drinkin, much.  I can be back on board by morning.  Might be I'll take Cecil wit me so he can drag me back, yeah?"


Last edited by Custer Thickett on Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  DiceMaster on Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:24 pm

The member 'Custer Thickett' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 8, 4

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Kellar on Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:21 am

Kellar thought about his new title, Master at Arms. What does one even do as Master at Arms... on a ship? I usually just hurt things until they die. His thoughts wavered in and out while the others spoke with the High Harper. He thought about Andrianna. After the others spoke, Kellar approached the High Harper and said, "I don't know if you've much contact with Geld and Adrianna, but I thought I'd ask how they are?" The High Harper nodded and looked at Kellar with an inquisitive eye. "Interesting, you ask about both, but really your concern is for one. Andrianna, is well, Master Kellar. She's beena Harper for a long time, there's little you need to worry about. But it is nice that she has someone like you asking after her," she said.

Kellar's shimmering scales reflected his thoughts in front of the High Harper. "She didn't mention this... aura, about you. There was mention of light blue skin all the same," she said. Kellar looked up at her and replied, "It's complicated." She smirked. "Yes, most men often are complicated." Kellar bowed low to the High Harper and turned to leave with his companions.

... In the side street...

"I agree with Lord Hale, sail further south and then make for his homestead," he said. "That should still give me enough time to work with Cecil and make him somewhat combat ready. I'll need him for when we face the dragon anyway." Kellar looked at each of his companions, waiting for an agreement to head further south and then make their way back toward Mountain's Root. Now Dwan's issue...

"I agree with Artimus, we need to resolve your matter before the second month. It will take time to track down Mush-Ra and who knows how long they'll need to heal you properly. If there is a chance that the plague can be cured outright, we may want to share that knowledge with the Harpers or the Kraken's Fist and get it back to Baldur's Gate," he said. "Whatever you need Master Dwarf, just ask," he said as he put a hand on the Dwarf's shoulder.
avatar
Kellar
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 485
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Wisconsin

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Ao on Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:43 pm

Asial looks at Custer, frowning.

“I’m sorry, master Thickett. I’ve not heard of your father, or your sister, arriving in Athkatla. I am familiar with Lincoln Thickett. I’ll keep an eye out for him.”


[Nightal 5th, Hoares Landing]

Trois Pistoles glides through the jagged, rocky coastline of Amn as seabirds circle the crows nest.

Sun cascades across the white-capped tips of waves, and all round you can see fishing boats bobbing in the water, between towering plateaus of rock and moss. Great arches of stone corral the mercantile craft along this less-traveled waterway, toward Hoares Landing.

Ara stands upon the bow, holding fast to the forestay as the ocean sprays in his face. Ahead, the modest log-walled hamlet stands exposed to the sea, home to a port much larger than seems appropriate.

The docks are busy, Bertrand raising his voice over the din as Pistoles slips into a berth, knocking gently off of the wooden walkway.

“Anchor to port, lines to starboard!” yells the Cormyrian, as Ara deftly leaps with the longline, cleating the boat off.

Cecil still topples about awkwardly, trying to find his sea legs and give a hand.

Meanwhile, a balding customs official saunters over to the side of the schooner, waving up to captain Delonde.

“Cormyrian, ah?” he shouts, pointing to the name. “I had a daughter that married a Cormyrian. Fool of a girl. And she could have had a practical Amnian farmer - to think!”

He coughs, pulling his quill out and writing upon a thick pad of parchment.

“I’ll need the manifest, captain. Plenty of boats in Hoares today. Please make haste.”

[Nightal 7th, Farmlands near Imnescar]

The oxen pulling your wagon snort headily in the fading daylight, the sun dipping below the horizon as you trundle over the farm-plains of Imnescar. The road is worn, the iron wheels of the carriage snagging repeatedly on holes and rocks as you bounce around inside the minimally comfortable accommodations.

You’ve been traveling for over a day with this small group - a trio of fishermen carrying their wares from Hoares to Imnescar. They are dull, simple folk. Speaking little, and reeking of fish.

Now, you can see the walled city rising up over the plains, overlain against the Small Teeth off in the distance.

One of the fishermen, Duggal, coughs into his shirt, and lights up his pipe.

“What are you lot doing up this way anyhow? Yer guardsman, are you? T’aint no caravans headed east along the Fang toward Esmeltaran. Nor goin’ south along the Trade Way through Lion’s Pass. Nope. Ogres and goblins pourin’ out of the Small Teeth like rats in a grainhouse. Won’t find much work here, boys. Might be the Imnescar guard have need of some able bodies, ta patrol the roadways.”

Here, Duggal points to a cadre of horses riding across the plains to the north. Fourteen men in shoddy chainmail riding full-tilt a mile away.

“Been more an’ more of em guardsmen riding round here. Which means there’s more an’ more abominations roving around an’ murdering honest folk like us. We’re done with the teeth. This land is blighted. This’ll be our last trip to Imnescar, afore the whole city comes down in flames. Like Esmeltaran did, a while back.”

The wagon trundles on, as the stars begin to twinkle in the sky.

[Nightal 7th, Imnescar Gate]

“Hold!” shouts a voice from atop a heavy stone gate. Your wagon sits, alone, in front of the closed portcullis. Two guards move towards you, as your eyes look past the wall into the rising city in front of you.

A series of bridges spanning low, craggy valleys have brought you to the walled city of Imnescar. It is a three-tiered city, with winding pathways rising up through increasingly wealthier districts to the palace, the seat of Imnescarrian nobility.

You can see its greystone parapets looking out over the countryside, standing in defiance of the small teeth to the south.

“Papers…” says the guard gruffly, looking out past your wagon into the countryside.

Roman, Duggal’s partner, passes off the papers to him. The guard looks up in disapproval.

“You lot are foolish to be out this late. Should’ve stayed the night at Trademeet, and rode here in broad daylight. Warband massacred a Tethyrian performing troupe from Brost just yesterday, not a quarter mile from the south wall. Cut em down, an’ took their wagon. Roads ain’t safe, traders. You ought to be smarter.”

The guard looks at the paper, waving at his companion situated atop the gate. The portcullis begins to rise slowly.

“On you go then. Last time we’ll be opening that portcullis today. You’re in for the night.”

==========================

Ok guys, welcome to Imnescar.

Imnescar is a fortified city, sitting just north of the “Lion’s Pass”, which is a pass through the Small Teeth to the lands to the south.

The fishermen will drop you off in the lower ward of the city, leaving you to fend for yourselves. The ride was free (you offered them protection).

Also, Bertrand & Ara & Cecil are minding the boat back in Hoares Landing.
Imnescar is separated into three major Wards, each Ward elevating the city by 50 feet. The Low Ward housed the citizens of lesser status and the bulk of the trade warehouses. Moderate inns and taverns are scattered from gate to gate. The High Ward housed the richer or higher-status citizens. The Castle Ward, which is the highest, includes the city's castle and surrounding compounds with the smiths, barracks, stables, training grounds, and stock warehouses.

There is a temple to Helm here, called Stormwatch. It’s a militaristic place - a great cathedral set into a large plaza. Clerics of Helm often double as martial leaders of the Imnescarrian guard. So you’ll see them patrolling the perimeter of the city in their regalia.

Also, as in most places in Amn, there’s a sizeable temple to Waukeen here called the Spring of Gold. It’s a four-walled white structure with a great golden dome for the roof.

If you’re making preparations to head east, let me know how you intend on doing so.

The Roadwarden’s Keep - The Fangwold - is about 50 miles to the east. About a two day’s journey on foot, and say 8-10 hours by horse)

Preparations, questions, etc.

EXP: +20
avatar
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 28
Location : ON

Character sheet
Armor Class::
Health:
1/1  (1/1)
Hit Dice::
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Dwan Bolduum on Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:36 am

Dwan sits idle while the conversation with the High Harper takes place. The politics required for such an organization, makes me glad I left the city long ago. Dwan's patience seems to have been slipping since he received the news of his impending doom.  On the ship he snapped at Ara for trying play games with the Dwarf.  I still need to apologize to the boy.

His ears perk up at Custer's mention of the healer. He eyes Asial eagerly while awaiting her answer.  Surely someone with these kinds of contacts would be able to point us in the right direction.

Needless to say, I have never met her.

Fuck! He thinks to himself. Finding a single person in an entire region is difficult enough, finding someone that is borderline a myth? His body shakes slightly from rage. Just as he is about to speak up Dwan feels Osvald's hand on his shoulder. Unsure if it is out of pity or a call of restraint Dwan realizes it would do no good shouting about something that cannot be changed.

I won't be alone on this one.

Dwan relaxes and listens halfheartedly to the rest of the conversation. Listening closer at other mentions of healers and the like, but not getting his hopes up.

________________________________________________________


Once the arrangements with the harpers have been settled Dwan joins the group as they exit the city, stopping shortly to buy a few travel rations.

As Dwan boards of the Trois Pistoles he sees Ara hard at work under the tutelage of Bertrand. He seems to be picking up this life rather quickly. Still so young to have grown up this much. I shouldn't have been so tough on him. Dwan takes a step towards the boy but decides against interrupting the boy's lessons and heads back below deck.  

________________________________________________________


Which means there’s more an’ more abominations roving around an’ murdering honest folk like us.

Abominations? What do you mean abominations? Are these ogres and goblins deformed in any way?

_______________________________________________________

(maybe more in a bit, didn't get as much time during lunch as I wanted)
avatar
Dwan Bolduum
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 224
Join date : 2015-01-29

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 14
Health:
57/57  (57/57)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Kellar on Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:08 pm

"We should find a place to rest for the night. Find a path of least resistance to our destination," Kellar said. He looked around at his surroundings, it seemed to be well protected from outside forces. Perhaps not as well protected from dragons. He stretched hard and let out a yawn. "I just need to pick up a few rations and an extra waterskin while we're here, otherwise I'll be ready to head out at a moment's notice," he said.

"Dwan, perhaps there are a few more healers here that you could speak with that might have insight about Mush-Ra. We'll have to cast a wide net if we're to find the only person that can heal you," he said. Kellar tried to sound reassuring, but he knew that his words may fall flat. He knew what it was like to be afflicted by something out of his control. He looked down at his hands and watched the glimmer float over his skin.

"Lord Hale, more horses might be in order to travel swiftly. If we have to use tactics against a larger force, we'll need to be mobile. What do you think," he said. "We didn't have a chance to talk on the Pistol, what was it that you wanted to discuss," he said. Kellar waited for his response and then talked with Custer.

"Hard to say what happened to your family. But, if they're anything like you I'm sure they're somewhere safe, or making a good run out of nothing," he said. "As for our current task, perhaps some extra bolts and healing ointments might be in order. What do you think?" Kellar discussed other small matters that had little to do with their plans. He was looking to pass the time until they had to move on again.

Actions:
Kellar opened dialog with Dwan, Osvald and Custer. In the event a direct reply is made, I will attempt to post more dialog in response.
Kellar will make suggestions to his companions, and will agree with their choices and support their decisions.
Kellar did not open dialog with Artimus at this time, but will respond to him.
Kellar will find an Inn for rest and reserve a private room to discuss their chosen path, if needed.
avatar
Kellar
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 485
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Wisconsin

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Custer Thickett on Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:44 pm

"A quarter mile, ya say? That's a bit bold for bandits, no?" Custer asks the guard at the portcullis.

Custer looked up at the stonework on the face of the gatehouse, tracing the contours of the carvings in the fading light of the day. The strength of the fortification reached into him for comfort as he crossed the threshold into the city proper, listening to Kellar talk to Dwan of healers and Osvald of horses. Should have bought a wagon I said. No room they said.

He spots the polished white walls and golden dome of the Spring across a sea of mostly vacant stalls in the market, abandoned canvases flapping in the alpine wind. Against the desperation of a city being slowly cut off from the world around it, the temple stood out proud and strong in the lower tier. Duty required a visit and tithe.

Kellar caught Cuss's attention. "If they anything like me, somewhere safe's the last place they'd be, no?" Cuss turns to the market, thrusting his chin in it's direction. "We can find some supplies in what's left of this pit. I've need to cross it to see me Lady, anyhow. I've plenty of bolts. Stocked and even some silvered back in Bauldur's Gate. Doan have any antitoxin, though."

To Dwan, Cuss said, "Mayhaps me Golden Lady knows ya desert queen. Will ya come to the Spring of Gold with me, or would Selûne frown to see there?"

..................

Like Dwan, I have run out of time to post. Might add more later tonight.
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Ao on Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:52 pm

The streets of Imnascar are silent in the twilight, as you walk through the Lower Tier of the city.

Vacant market stalls, some of which have not been occupied for some days or weeks, are tucked in between the more permanent structures of the city.

You pass a small group of labourers, who walk past you without a second glance. Up ahead, some Imnascarrian militia consort with a tall, broad-shouldered warrior bearing a mace and shield. The sigil of Helm is emblazoned on his shoulder.

The militiamen ignore your approach, but the cleric nods your way. He stands in front of a tall wooden apartment, with enormous oak trees framing its stonework entryway.

"Ho there-" he says, approaching you.

"Able-bodied travellers I see. My name is Jehuty, and I am captain of the guard here in the lower ward. I am sorry to interrupt you, but I would be remiss if I did not."

The streets yawn on through more residential structures, and you can see that this neighbourhood is far from wealthy. One of the militiamen rounds the corner with a drunkard in tow, who is screaming obscenities about government and ogres.

Jehuty shakes his head, motioning down the street.

"Cut him loose, Aulg. Drunks are the least of our worries."

Sobered from his altercation, the man staggers away from the frowning soldier and disappears down the street. In the distance, even here, you can see the small teeth towering over the city on the horizon, as the moon climbs above her peaks.

"Again, I am sorry to interrupt you. But as few traders are coming to Imnascar these past weeks, I felt I must ask you your business?"

He raises an eyebrow expectantly.

"We have a small band of outriders headed into the small teeth, and we're desperate for more swords. Are you on business? Or might you help a city in need?"

Jehuty smiles kindly, awaiting your response.

===================

Exp:+20
avatar
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 28
Location : ON

Character sheet
Armor Class::
Health:
1/1  (1/1)
Hit Dice::
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Kellar on Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:21 pm

"Good evening, Captain. I am Kellar the Quick," he said. "Our business is our own, as some halflings would tell you. However, I would be willing to help as long as my companions are. We tend to stay as a unit," he said. "It seems odd that you would be traveling out into the Small Teeth during the twilight. Some things are home in the night."

"I'll defer to my companion, Lord Hale. If he says we should help, then I will help. Otherwise I wish you luck in your endeavors into the wild," he said. Kellar turned to his companions.
avatar
Kellar
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 485
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Wisconsin

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Custer Thickett on Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:16 am

Cuss tries to take careful measurement of the guard's intentions when he nods their way and starts to walk over.  

[Rolling insight +1]
20

If Cuss has reason to believe the guard is not looking out for the greater good of the city, then he will keep walking without comment.  Otherwise;

Cuss reaches for his necklace of charms.  He rubs his symbol of Waukeen out of habit, then moves to the Kraken's Fist.  Cradling it, he thinks to the others, Might be they're close.  Might be this one has seen em.  Might be we gain his trust, and he'll tell us what the city knows of Kesian and Sothis, yeah?

Cuss continues walking toward the Spring of Gold, and he does not bother looking at the paladin as he speaks out loud, "We're just up from Esmeltaran, albeit we took the long way to get here, no?  I've a mind to see me Golden Lady's temple, and pay her me thanks for safe travels, iffen ya doan mind a walkin with us while we talk, yeah?"

Cuss also defers to Osvald, following Kellar's lead.


Last edited by Custer Thickett on Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  DiceMaster on Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:16 am

The member 'Custer Thickett' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 19

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Dwan Bolduum on Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:32 am

Dwan makes conversation with his colleagues as they walk through the streets of Imnascar.

Dwan, perhaps there are a few more healers here that you could speak with that might have insight about Mush-Ra. We'll have to cast a wide net if we're to find the only person that can heal you.
Mayhaps me Golden Lady knows ya desert queen. Will ya come to the Spring of Gold with me, or would Selûne frown to see there?

Yes, since it looks like we may be here for a day or two maybe someone may know a bit more about the lore of this Mush-Ra. Selune shines brightly on all, Custer. I will visit the priest's of Waukeen with you. It may be wise to keep the story of the undead to ourselves, I don't want to set off any panic because of my, condition.

I'd also like to meet with a few medicine women while in town as well, this Mush-Ra sounds like the type only a few of the obscure would know about.

Though I say tonight we worry about getting a warm place to sleep, a tall flagon of ale, and maybe someone to keep us warm in our beds. All three I hope.
Dwan says with a chuckle and wry smile on his face.

"Ho there-"

Dwan's muscles start to tense up as he scans his surroundings. Two alleyways behind us, one to the man's left, and a few narrow roads. Dwan's escape plans start to form before he spies the sigil of Helm on the man's shoulders.

Custer wrote:iffen ya doan mind a walkin with us while we talk, yeah?

Dwan Bolduum at your sevice, its been a long, tiring road we've traveled. Talk of protection and assistance can surely be made over food, yes?


============
Dwan chats it up with his buddies.
Dwan wants to get some food while talking it up with Jehuty.
avatar
Dwan Bolduum
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 224
Join date : 2015-01-29

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 14
Health:
57/57  (57/57)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Artimus DeLonde on Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:23 pm

Earlier in Hoars
======
“Cormyrian, ah?” he shouts, pointing to the name. “I had a daughter that married a Cormyrian. Fool of a girl. And she could have had a practical Amnian farmer - to think!”

“Ha-ha J'm'exuse, My apologiez for your luck, rezt azzured, not every Cormyrian iz a drunken fool, only the onez that would marry your daughter it zeemz, EH?”

Artimus said, with a knowing my smile and a slap on the shoulder.
In Imnescar
==========
"We have a small band of outriders headed into the small teeth, and we're desperate for more swords. Are you on business? Or might you help a city in need?

Aside to the group

“We've had zuccezz thiz far lending out protection to otherz. The road iz dangerouz and, nothing againzt thoze zimple anglerz we traveled with from Hoarz zhiz far, it zoundz like theze men can zwing a zword.”

To Jehuty

“Who are zheze Outriderz and why do zhey make for the teeth, We've heard wind that the roadz are dangerouz, whizperz of Orcz, men driven mad and.." Artimus looked around aa he lowered his voice to a whisper "...Dragonz.”

“If there’z a ztrong horze to ride, I may be inclined to join theze men on the road, az long az it'z underztood we are, how you zay, free agentz”

To Kellar

I wonder your thoughtz Mon Dragoon on a matter of militia. If we take the road with theze outriderz, would it be  wize to outfit ourzelvez and the outriderz with zome zpearz. They’ll allow uz to break a charging force if we encounter the riderz or Zothiz, and If we meet the dragon herzelf, Zomething for the beazt to clear her teeth of our corpzez.

Artimus finished with a grin.
[100 gold surrender for ten spears]



====
In the evening

Artimus Circulated around the Taverns that marked each of the Gates of the Middle and  low wards. He ordered wine and asked questions of true interest between off colored jokes about the women of the Castle Wards indiscretions and the low wards over abundance of goats.

The Mariner made regular mention the good work to be found in Esmelteran for guardsmen, merchant and tradesmen alike. He also dropped words of safe passage up the river Esmel on Merchant Vessels. He asked about cultists, if anyone had left  Imnescar under strange circumstances.

With the Exodus of Imnescar's citizenry. There was a golden opportunity to hasten the rebuilding of Esmelteran, relieving its people of the slow burden if rebuilding town and citizens, protect the city and perhaps have the fist profit and grow from the exchange.

In the reprieve of the evening Artimus concentrated for many hours, channeling into the icon around his neck

Message to Garvan.
The day has come mon ami,  do you remember those dark days, under the isle of Lotora, in the Halls of the Makers.  I have not forgotten the promise I made.  There seems to be a way to buy the debt on your head.  you will have to come out of hiding under that burlap sack you call fishers breeches and take the open sea again. See Hallstadd, the dye maker.  Take his payload and stow it on your wayfarer (small fishing vessel).It will take the whole of your hold, sail to Atlathka and see Drexel,   He shall pay you a handsome sum for what you carry. Then Leave from there for Hoares, up lake esmel, Savoy will meet your there. and let you know the rest.

Message to Savoy
It seems we have a rare opportunity. Men seeking work will be headed from Inmescar. Form the tradesmen under a union, call yourself the blue moon trade union. promise a contract rebuilding Esmelteran. The swordsmen, rangers and able bodied men, refer them to the Esmelteran watch. When a boat full of fresh guardsmen and workers and supplies walk off the Trios Pistoles. Pellagra will look like a hero and we have a hand in the labour. In Esmelteran, see what is needed in the city, since the attack and from vacation of the elder Thickett.  He had a full ledger, let us find what he's left on the table.

Message to Pelegar
I have found strong arms to help with the protection and rebuilding of the city. Savoy will discuss fair terms for their payment.

and a favour Capitane.  I know you have the Raven's Reach in dry dock under confiscation. We will need it to help ferry goods for the city and men. I hope you can arrange its "abscondment"
====

Artimus is for riding with the outriders

-Gathers info about the Dragon, Cultists and the Rod 8+6-14
-Tries to influence the peoples leaving the city to head for Esmelteran by way of boats in lake Esmel at Hoars. Persuasion 10+6=16
-attempts to piece together a trade deal! Persuation on Pelegar 20!

Blast, Luck reroll if AO permits!  [8, 10, 20]


Last edited by Artimus DeLonde on Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:32 am; edited 5 times in total
avatar
Artimus DeLonde
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 528
Join date : 2010-08-16
Age : 33
Location : GTA

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
50/61  (50/61)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  DiceMaster on Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:23 pm

The member 'Artimus DeLonde' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 7, 2, 10

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Ao on Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:13 pm

[Nightal 7th, The Rusted Wheel, Imnescar]

Jehuty sits across from you, lanternlight flickering in his eyes. Upon Dwan’s request for a hot meal, the captain of the guard had smiled kindly and walked you down a few adjoining laneways to this quiet inn, The Rusted Wheel.

It is a small place, tucked in between two larger buildings, and a ways down an alley. Only a modest wooden sign betrays its secrecy - hanging from a low beam, a fire-branded wagon wheel. Six tables, jammed into a space scarcely large enough to fit five, are empty but for your party plus Jehuty. Lanterns light the place softly, but shadow still dominates its corners.

A young woman with long red ringlets smiles kindly, the daughter of the proprietor. Moments ago she brought you hot meals of steaming plum-turkey, paid for with Jehuty’s coin, and now she sets down a few flagons of ale.

Jehuty smiles.

“Thanks, Elise.” he says softly. The man could be fifty, or twenty five. Long, silvered hair is tied up into a rough topknot, and his face is bordering on unshaven. Deep lines are set into the folds of his eyelids and jaw - far more prominent than the creases any young man is entitled to.

He looks at Dwan.

“I hope the meal is enjoyed, master dwarf. This is one of Imnescar’s gems…few can roast a turkey like Allain can.

[Custer, insight]

The halfling gazes into Jehuty’s face, trying to make sense of his hospitality. But the man seems reasonable, and kind. Custer can detect no falsehood in his words or mannerisms.

“Kellar the quick, was it? We won’t be traveling in the twilight. No, our cadre is headed out at first light. We ride for the lion’s pass, and back.”

He listens to Artimus’ probing questions, and nods.

“Yes, we have strong horses and strong men. Though I doubt we’ll return without casualties.”

The starkness of his words lands uncomfortably. Jehuty looks up from a turkey wing, his eyes bright and alert.

“Pardon my frankness. But my lord Helm teaches his followers to be bold, and honest. I am not afraid of the odds.”

He goes back to gnawing on the turkey bone, dropping it onto his plate and wiping his hands on a damp cloth beneath his flagon.

“Two days past, a road warden by the name of Olufsen rode in from the fox gate. His arm was bound and slung, and his neck was raked by more than one crossbow bolt. He left a missive with Aulg - allegedly, ogres are amassing in the Lion’s Pass. Dire news, if it’s true.”

He rubs his temples, taking another drink of mead.

“By the time I heard of it, Olufsen had already departed for the Fangwold. I rode him down, begged him to stay, and return with us…but he insisted that he must return to the keep. Gods, those damnable road wardens are good for a warning of impending doom, but never a bulwark.”

Jehuty pushes his empty flagon away.

“So, now we ride. If the ogres do amass in the pass, in numbers greater than we can handle, then the city will need to be conceded. These are dark days, fellows. Will you ride with us?”

His request hangs in the air, in the modest inn.

========================

Ok guys

A couple of follow-ups to your requests:

*Dwan, you cannot find a medicine man or woman in this town. The cleric of Waukeen, Obai, offers you healing at a price, but balks when he sees your wound.

*Artimus, in talking to a few of the impoverished souls in the lower ward, you discover that they shake their heads when you ask about cultists, Cyric, or the rod. They have no idea. But the dragon…their eyes widen, and they nod. They’ve seen it circling the peaks of the small teeth.

*Artimus, your dealings between the people of Imnescar, Garvan, and Pelegar seem to be underway. Tradesmen of varying pedegrees nod as you speak to the need for their labours in Esmeltaran. By the time you step away, a half dozen of them are already arranging passage for the river Esmel.

*Artimus, Pelegar contacts you back after several hours. He expresses his gratitude, and says he will see what he can do after Raven’s Reach.

+50 XP to all for the really interesting round of posts guys. Thanks!



avatar
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 28
Location : ON

Character sheet
Armor Class::
Health:
1/1  (1/1)
Hit Dice::
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Custer Thickett on Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:44 pm

Jehuty wrote:"Will you ride with us?”

Cuss recoils from the table, his arms outstretched and pushing him away.  "Ogres?  As in more than one, yeah?  Oiy, let me tell ya about Ogres.  From atop the hill below the Meritian Palace in Esmeltaran, we watched as an army of Orcs and foul Humans charged through a burning gate into the city.  They had ONE Ogre.  We watched it take down, what?  Thirty?  Yeah, at least Thirty.  It took the focus of one hundred to bring it down.  An only twenty of theirs got the best of us, no?  We took the gatehouse, but we lost my two best house guards and many more.  Licked.  That's what we did.  Hid and licked our wounds when the Blue Beast came to finish what that army started.  Ogres, Heh!"

Cuss stands, still holding the edge of the table.  "Listen to me, Jehuty.  Before they came for us, some in the City knew."  Cuss looks around the room at other interested ears.

[Rolling perception or insight +1]
16

He leans over the edge of the table, tilting his head in suggestion for Jehuty to lean in closer.  Cuss's voice was barely a whisper.  "Where do ya Shadows hide?"  Cuss straightens slowly as he speech eases louder.  "We ride we might know their number before they kill us out there.  We look for collaborators, then we might know when they coming, which by my count is more valuable when they have a..." Cuss leans in again.  "a Dragon."


Cuss motions to Kellar while still leaned over the table.  "My blue friend there happens to be an expert Dragon hunter."  The straightens again.  "Kellar.  What would ya do to fell a Dragon with an army of Ogres?"

...

At the Spring of Gold.

The temple was lavish, as Waukeen expects of her followers.  As the sunlight danced around the peaks of the Small Teeth at the beginning or end of the day, so to did it paint and dance on the meticulously shined white walls of this large golden domed house of Custer's Golden Lady of Luck.  The love of his people.  Cuss wished only that he could have wore his finer clothes on this journey so that he may present himself true before her here.  Yet, his head did not hang for he knew she was watching him.  She would not be disappointed by his appearance, even as her priest's eyes and face protested it when Cuss approached him.

He knelled in feigned humility, "Me Lord, forgive me abrupt approach, but Our Lady has had me traveling far with little time for rest or leisure.  She has shown me wonder and terror.  Things to come in the circumstance of a normal day."  Custer reaches for the Cleric's hand, pulling at his arm as the man subtly struggled.  Cuss looked up at his face and frowned.  "Are ya one to be so fooled by soiled garbs that ya can't see one of her chosen before you."

Obai paled with uncertainty.  It was not just the bold approach of the well worn travelers, the smell of the stout ones beard, or the dull stains of blood on the cloak of the other that worried him to the point his mind became cloudy.  It had been that way for days.  First it was whispers of Dragons in the fall of Esmeltaran.  Then whispers of the same Dragon in the mountains near the city.  Then the closing trade roads as hordes of foul beast slaughtered those conducting the righteous business of his Lady. The Market was near barren.  And now, the whispers of his dreams stood before him.  He was sure of it.  His stare never left the amulet of Waukeen hanging around the Halfling's neck as he spoke.  "You..."

....

Into the evening, Cuss notices Artimus's plotting in his conversations, and quietly slid to the Captain's side to listen, and then assist.  He became very impressed with the Cormyrian at work in an effort to assist Cuss's home.  Artimus had earned Cuss's respect long ago, but this was the first time he'd began to admire the man.  He was truly a master of his trade.  Cuss was lucky to be near enough to him to observe and learn.  After downing the last swig of hard cider in his tankard, Cuss remained staring at the ceiling as he thought, Thank ya, Me Lady.  Thank ya, Agata.

....


  • Cuss thinks that if this is like Esmeltaran, there are those in the City that are plotting with the enemy.
  • He'll ride out if that is what the group decides.
  • At the temple, he will share his stories with Obai and try to persuade the cleric to take some of the priceless valuables from the temples either to below ground vaults, or out of the City all together.
  • Cuss assist Artimus in persuading tradesmen and other common folk to leave the city for Esmeltaran.


Last edited by Custer Thickett on Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:48 pm; edited 3 times in total
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  DiceMaster on Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:44 pm

The member 'Custer Thickett' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 15

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Kellar on Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:31 am

Custer Thickett wrote:Cuss motions to Kellar while still leaned over the table. "My blue friend there happens to be an expert Dragon hunter."  The straightens again.  "Kellar.  What would ya do to fell a Dragon with an army of Ogres?"

Kellar looked down at Custer and thought for a moment while drinking from his cup. "The ogre you speak of in Esmeltaran was battle hardened and well fed. Most ogres are nomadic and are only as strong as their last kill and feeding. They're really the most literal creature you can come across when considering their intelligence," he said. "All things considered, having them available to fight a dragon might be a bad move overall, there's little they would do to put up a fight against it and would most likely turn against us. Evil begets evil, afterall," he continued.

"If you're going to thin the ogres and rout them, you'll need to have lances and people that can handle them. Going in with close combat weapons will get them killed. Not from the ogre's attacks, but from when it falls," he said. Kellar grabbed a few condiments on the table and set them up in a pattern. "We'll need to setup a fan like this, and then set outriders to the left and right to box them in right away. They'll need to ride a bit ahead of the main force. It should force the ogres to close in on themselves and allow the main force to drive through the heart of them with their lances and trample them as well," he continued.

"The lances will be a one time use when the riders on horseback. If you have enough riders with horse-bows following up in the back, they'll be able to pepper the remaining ogres while the main force circles back at the end of the pass. They'll have nowhere to run as they're fired upon with arrows. I would suggest one volley to prevent firing against their own riders," he said. "The main force circles back with swords drawn on horseback and ride through with one strike against an ogre each."

Jehuty wrote:“Kellar the quick, was it? We won’t be traveling in the twilight. No, our cadre is headed out at first light. We ride for the lion’s pass, and back.”

"If it's all the same, I have a lance and a bit of free time. If you would prefer that I lead the main force I can take that task willingly. Riding at dawn might provide enough advantage on an approach, but it would have to be a walk with the horses until we're within range of the ogres. Otherwise the element of surprise would be lost," he said. "The more I think of it, perhaps Lord Hale would take a small squad of archers along the pass and provide flank support to the riders." Kellar waited for Osvald's input before speaking completely for the ranger in ranger related tactics.

Actions:

Kellar will offer to ride with Jehuty and lead the charge with the other people on horseback that have lances.
Kellar provides a rough plan on the table with condiments. He will defer to someone else who has a different/better idea.
avatar
Kellar
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 485
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Wisconsin

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Artimus DeLonde on Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:35 am

"Hmmm" Artimus Droned.  "In truth our intentionz were to head to the keep of the road wardenz. Perhapz we can accompany your riderz..."

Artimus thought on the road ahead for the outriders of Imnescar, south to Lion's Gate, to face ogres. Who were these men to ride with the intent to face down such adversaries? In numbers... as Cuss has so aptly pointed out.

Artimus considered too the darkness that seemed to seep through the earth to choke the life from this land. A good man profits as all ships rise.

Men and Women were going to mill from this bulwark stone tiered city down the road south.

If some were lost to wolf or worg or orge it would be... bad for business.

Artimus tightened a fist, leather gripping against itself, as their intentions seem to be at odds, they couldn't ride south and east at the same moment.

“Mmmmmmmmm.” Artimus droned again.

“If we ride againzt theze Ogrez, we muzt have a plan, an edge, we can match their ztrength with ztrength, there muzt be zome guile, zome advantage. “

“Tell me,  thoze Ballizta that mark the edgez of the ward zpirez. How hard would it be to mobilize a trio of them on, zay a wagon or zomething.”


======================
Can some of the castles defenses be repurposed to be mobile, anti-orge \ anti-dragon devices


Last edited by Artimus DeLonde on Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Artimus DeLonde
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 528
Join date : 2010-08-16
Age : 33
Location : GTA

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
50/61  (50/61)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Osvald Hale on Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:37 am

Kellar and Cuss both look to the Ranger, and Osvald meets eyes with Jehuty. "We're no mercenaries--but we'll hear you talk. Fate has had a way of bringing us to those with whom our goals are mutually aligned. I'm Osvald."

...

Osvald watches Kellar shuffle condiments and empty flagons, outlining a plan to assault the Ogres while scarfing down a second helping of dinner. It was a relief to eat without your plate sliding to and fro on a ship at sea--though the cramped, darkened corners of this modest inn did uncannily resemble the galley of the Trois Pistoles.

At mention of his name, Osvald drops the leg bone he'd been gnawing on and leans forward onto his elbows, assessing the strategic value of the salt shaker that signified him.

"It's a good plan Kell, but we must be careful to not make too many assumptions. We don't know the terrain where we'll encounter the Ogres, and without a stretch of land to manoeuvre, cavalry is all but useless. As Artimus has said; we need to tip the odds in our favour. I agree that a scouting party should ride out ahead of the main group, it's foolhardy to ride half-blind; knowing a foe awaits around a bend, but uncertain which." He pauses, slides the salt shaker towards him and places a half full flagon and piece of bread beside it.

"I can take a group of strong riders: two--three at most, the strongest archers among us, preferably--into the foothills of the Small Teeth south of the fang road, and use the game trails to keep just ahead of the main group. I can relay anything we find to you with--" He pauses, having almost mentions the Krakens Fist, "With, ah... signals? Then, it's a matter of bringing the fighting to ground we prefer. It will still be a dangerous battle, by any account. Jehuty, I fear, is right. There will certainly be casualties." The ranger pauses again, and grins. "But since when has death not been a certainty?"

He looks down the table to the Dwarf in their company:

"Dwan, I'd ask you along with the scouting party as well. Your abilities and forest-craft would be of use--I've no doubt."

Osvald looks to the others:

"Well it seems like we're in agreement, we must go east as is, and we've a better chance of making it to the Fangwold if we travel in numbers with the outriders. Ogres are dangerous, aye, but is seems they lay on our path. Any among you think differently?"

He lets the question hang.

=====

Osvald likes Kellars plan but volunteers to do a little scouting while they move to preferably. He's curious where Artiums is going with the siege weapons, but that is out of Osvalds depth.

He'd like to get 2-3 volunteers from the outriders, the strongest archers preferably, and has asked Dwan to join them as well, hoping in wolf form he can be a huge help.
avatar
Osvald Hale
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 268
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Toronto, Canada

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
41/41  (41/41)
Hit Dice::
4/4  (4/4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Ao on Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:42 pm

Jehuty smiles as he watches Kellar and Osvald discuss their plans. He can see that you’ve already made your decision.

Patiently he waits for you to finish speaking, and then he extends his hand to shake yours.

“Gentlemen. You are a service to Imnascar and her people. This will not be forgotten.”

He sits back in his chair, ordering another round of ale for each of you.

“Kellar the Quick, your plan is sound. Flanking the ogres is our best chance of survival, should we elect to ride upon their camp. But, I fear that may not be possible…”

Jehuty frowns thoughtfully.

"We’ve only a dozen outriders at our disposal. They will be our rear host, as you say Osvald. We’ll have them ride a quarter mile behind us, while the five of you and myself scout the land and the situation. Should we determine that our lances will win the day, we’ll bare down upon them.”

He pauses, drinking the ale as the red-headed server girl places it in front of him.

“…But if what Olufsen said is true, we’ll scarcely have a chance. If the ogres amass in numbers like he has spoken, then our only hope will be retreat.”

Jehuty broods for a moment, and then looks at Artimus thoughtfully.

“It is an interesting idea, mariner. We may be able to mount a ballista on the rear of a wagon. That will take two of our lances out of the fight, to pull the carriage. And if the foothills become too craggy, we may lose it, especially if we find reason to retreat. As much as that weapon would be of service to us, I won’t risk the horses or the men for its own sake.”

The night drags on, and you can feel yourselves beginning to tire. After the round, Jehuty stands and disappears into the kitchen of the tavern. He emerges a moment later, gesturing upstairs.

“I spoke with Allain, fellows. He and his daughter Elise will host you tonight. They have but one guest room, but it is spacious and should accommodate you for the evening. I will return at first light and we will ride, heroes.”

He smiles, a confident smile. As he walks past, he claps Kellar on the back, and slips out the front door.

========================

EXP: +20 to each and all

(preparations if you need to)
avatar
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 28
Location : ON

Character sheet
Armor Class::
Health:
1/1  (1/1)
Hit Dice::
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Dwan Bolduum on Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:39 am

Dwan tosses the remains of his turkey down on his plate and places a satisfied hand on his stomach.

“I hope the meal is enjoyed, master dwarf. This is one of Imnescar’s gems…few can roast a turkey like Allain can.

Mmm.  Indeed, sir Watcher, this turkey was a piece of art.  Light use of rosemary and lemon, and the use of butter to baste the bird.  It makes one want to have more than-  you know what? You only live once, I will have another.  Dwan catches the attention of serving girl and gestures for another bird.

Custer wrote:Ogres?  As in more than one, yeah?  Oiy, let me tell ya about Ogres...
Kellar wrote:The ogre you speak of in Esmeltaran...

Once Kellar explains his tactics Dwan butts in.  He's right, Cuss. Though I have no knowledge of the ogre you fought at Esmeltaran, the creatures themselves are quite dumb. Manageable if one is prepared.  When I was part of the fighting in Shanatar the Duergar would often try to use ogre's in their attempts to fight us back.  The creatures were unaccustomed to such close quarters and we would often be able to lure them into tighter confines and hit them with our siege weapons, crossbows, and traps.

--------------------------------

Osvald wrote:Dwan, I'd ask you along with the scouting party as well. Your abilities and forest-craft would be of use--I've no doubt.

I'll gladly join you Sir Hale. We'll need to work on some signals before we depart. He subtly points to the Kraken's Fist around his neck. This things don't work when I... change my state of mind.

Dwan glances quickly towards Jehuty and is relieved to not see his demeanor changed. Dwan closes his eyes and focuses his thoughts into the Kraken's fist and toward each of the members of his group.

I'd rather we not disclose the full extent of my shape shifting abilities while we journey south. From experience most of these people are overly superstitious and I often find myself fleeing towns in a hail of shouts, rocks, and arrows. Jehuty seems trustworthy and steadfast, but I've seen better men changed after finding out what I do.

Either with the nod of approvals or with returned messages from his comrades Dwan joins in on the planning for tomorrow's attack.


Last edited by Dwan Bolduum on Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Dwan Bolduum
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 224
Join date : 2015-01-29

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 14
Health:
57/57  (57/57)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Custer Thickett on Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:08 am

[Phone at airport. Will clean and add to later.]

"Twelve? Oiy, me Golden Lady better be with us then. She always finds me fit to be outnumbered, yeah?" Cuss runs a hand through his nappy black hair.

Cuss eats and drinks as he listens to the other speak of tatics. At the end of the discussion, Cuss hurls an idea across the table. "If there are so many, then we may find our time better spent preparing the walls than stinging them in the pass. Let's be quiet heading up. Walking the horses as you say, no?"

Cuss helps Artimus and Osvald persuade on strategy.

... boarding plane
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Custer Thickett on Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:23 am

That night, before sleeping, Cuss prepares three vials of poison for his bolts. He'did need to drop the last ingredient in each vial to activate the foul contents, but he could do so quickly before any engagement. Each vial could coat 3 bolts and was good for an hour once active. Cuss wrapped the vials in thin leather and tied them together on his belt for safer travel.

Then he prayed himself to sleep, which to others looked like he was mumbeling to an invisible friend that talks back.
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Kellar on Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:20 pm

"Twelve riders is not a lot, that's not even enough to rout goblins," Kellar said. "I'll still hold on my position that a main force should lead straight up the middle toward them. So... six in the main body, three to each side. Lord Hale and the others from a perched position for arrow fire," he said. He turned to Dwan, "Master Dwarf, do you have something that could slow down the ogres and make them immobile, even for just a few moments?" He awaited Dwan's response and continued.

"It might work if you have something that can slow them after we make our first pass through the ogres, they won't be able to pursue because they're unable to move right away. A volley from Lord Hale and the other archers during that instant could cripple them," he said. He looked at Jehuty. "Having a small number in the main force might be a good option considering that the pass might be narrow. What can you tell me about the pass? How wide is it? Is there enough room to maneuver three horses abreast and turn as needed?" he said.

Kellar waited for Jehuty's response and then stood up from the table. "I'll head off to my room for the night. If there's anything else, I'll be up for a while going over my armaments," he said. Kellar arrived at his room and removed his armor and helmet and sat them on the lounge chair in the corner; he removed the lance, javelins, chains and Battle Axe. He removed a small flask of oil and rag from his pack and began to sharpen and oil each of his weapons. His golden scales shimmered with each slide of the stone against metal. Orbaugh climbed up on the bed and lazily rested his head at the end, watching his Master.

Kellar removed his clockwork belt and moved the gears and listened to the soft click of the anchor point move left and right. He pulled at the anchor and felt the click and lock. "This is still functioning right, it'll need to be when we find the dragon," he muttered. He oiled the mechanism and the chains. He tested the carabiners and oiled their hinges and dropped them back in their pouch. He stood up from his work area and stretched, he looked down at his hands and he could see his breath. It's cold... "Interesting."

Kellar grabbed a javelin with his left hand and then concentrated on his right hand. Make it the same as this one. The air grew colder in his left hand and a single pillar of ice formed, extending out from his hand on either side. He grimaced at the cold formed ice in his right hand, it had weight similar to the javelin in his left hand, but felt... alien. The end of the ice javelin formed into a barbed point, with several serrated points. "Orbaugh, what do you think?" Orbaugh lifted his head and nodded slightly. It cold in here. "Hmph."

Kellar thought again about the javelin in his right hand and it began to melt and turn to slush. He concentrated on his chest and felt the pain of dying. He remembered Shorjahl burning from the inside out. He remembered Andrianna. He looked at his right hand, the shimmer of golden scales grew bright at his hand and a pillar of fire erupted from his hand, making a new javelin. Orbaugh raised his head again. That better. Much warmer! Kellar shook his head and grinned at Orbaugh. Figures. He opened his hand and the flames disappeared, leaving a vapor in the air.

"Wait until they see this tomorrow."

Actions:

Kellar adds a couple last minute questions to Jehuty.
Kellar will agree to any adjustments to the proposed plan of attack for the morning.
Kellar prepares for battle in his room.
avatar
Kellar
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 485
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Wisconsin

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Dwan Bolduum on Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:33 am

Kellar wrote:Master Dwarf, do you have something that could slow down the ogres and make them immobile, even for just a few moments?

If we have the time to shape the battle field to our advantage, I can set up the same thorns trap I used in the woods. It won't do much damage, but it will buy you all a few extra seconds to land some blows. We should also get a few barrels of gunpowder to bury in the ground. At the right moment we can set off these barrels and cripple the beasts before they can close in on us.

Jehuty, do you know of any wizards, artificers, or someone who deals with magical wares in town? I have an idea on how we can set off the charges without worrying about timing it right and running from the explosions ourselves.


Once the course of action seems to be agreed upon, Dwan stands up, cleaning the last pieces of meat off of his plate and finishing his ale.

I will need to spend some time tonight preparing for the battle. I will see you all in the morning.
avatar
Dwan Bolduum
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 224
Join date : 2015-01-29

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 14
Health:
57/57  (57/57)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Osvald Hale on Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:09 am

After the meal is completed and the battle plan formed, Osvald rises from his seat at the bench, stretching and cracking his knuckles.

[b]"Well, is seems in any case we'll need our strength for tomorrow. I'm turning in, I'll see you all at first light." [/b{

Osvald takes his leave, and heads to the room. He does a thorough check on his gear, and,once satisfied everything is in good condition he lays down, asleep moments after his head hit the pillow--happy to again sleep without a ship bucking beneath him.

=====

Sorry all, gnarly week, just a quick one.
avatar
Osvald Hale
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 268
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Toronto, Canada

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
41/41  (41/41)
Hit Dice::
4/4  (4/4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Artimus DeLonde on Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:34 pm

Artimus sat among Jehuty and his friends.

"Well if are to to faze.." he stopped, eyeing Jehuty, choosing his words carefully "what'z ahead... perhaps theze ogrez will be whetztonez for our own zharpening"

Besides, Bonne renommée vaut mieux que ceinture dorée. (A good name is it's own reward.)

=======================================
Sorry for the short one gents. been a none stop one.
avatar
Artimus DeLonde
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 528
Join date : 2010-08-16
Age : 33
Location : GTA

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
50/61  (50/61)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Ao on Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:38 pm

[Nightal 8th, Lion’s Pass]



The sun burns high in the sky as you ride into the jagged foothills of the Small Teeth, gnarled and twisted trees creating a luminescent canopy above you. It has been six hours since you rode from Imnascar in the small of the morning, at a hastened pace.

You traverse the Trade Way, following in worn wagon-ruts that have served the sword coast for centuries. And, fresh tracks have not been lain here in at least three rainfall.

As far as the eye can see, brilliant cadmium yellow leaves adorn the sichmur trees. The air is cold and refreshing, blowing from the north. Despite its frigid countenance, only the highest peaks of the Teeth in the distance are adorned with a gentle wreath of white snow. Painterly pink shadows fade into the blue and black depths of her valleys, a gaping maw of endless twists and turns.

You ride, the five of you, and Jehuty. Looking behind you along the winding road, you can see the outriders main host about a quarter mile back. Only twelve men in scale mail with halberds, riding at a brisk pace in time with your progress.

Jehuty pauses for a moment, signalling back for them to follow suit. After a brief moment, they come to rest.

The cleric guard captain surveys the landscape, watching as a flock of black birds flap up from a valley beyond, framed against the towering, endless peaks of the mountain range.

“We’ll be upon the Lion’s Pass in another hour, fellows. If there truly are ogres massing, we’ll see them from a ways off. Best that we take ourselves off the main road, and ride through the fringe. The host will follow slowly, and if we run into trouble we can always double back.”

Jehuty turns to face the road ahead, when suddenly a loud shout echoes through the valley floor.

His head whips backward, down to where the host is fanning out in alarm. The soldiers are brandishing their halberds, waving them around and moving into a phalanx amidst a cloud of dust.

“Helm - what is this?” said Jehuty, grabbing his reins and beginning to turn his steed around.

Across the verdant, yellow landscape birds flap out of the canopy, as a swarm of shadowy figures charge out from the forest fringe beside the host. They hold swords and axes high, and there are at least thirty of them in number.

“Fellows! With me!” shouts the cleric, kicking hard into his horse and taking off down the road.

The sun blazes overhead, long shadows cast backward as Jehuty disappears down the ridge.

The warhost scrambles, bracing for the charge. They are flanked, enemies attacking from both sides. Arrows streak out of the treeline, one rider collapsing off his horse as the assailants hack at the beast, rearing its legs and flailing madly…

=======================

Ok fellows. The five of you are a quarter mile away from the host. Riding at full speed, your horses can close on the fringe of the combat in about 5 or 6 minutes.

Dwan, if you had preparations to make, or if any of you wanted to do things in Imnascar, you can do that in the trade section.

Take this post rotation to let me know how you plan on approaching the combat. You can get there quickly by riding down the road. Going through the woods might give you more cover, but you’re going to take twice as long. If you elect to ride that quickly through the woods (for the element of surprise), you’ll need to make a DEX check (DC 15) or else your horse will be injure (resulting in fun shenanigans).

Don’t make combat rolls today, but prepare to cast any spells and let me know what your tactics of approach are.

Cheers

EXP: +20

Ao
avatar
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 28
Location : ON

Character sheet
Armor Class::
Health:
1/1  (1/1)
Hit Dice::
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Kellar on Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:51 pm

"Quickly now!" Kellar said as he kicked his horse after Jehuty. He turned to his companions and said, "If you want, split into the trees and circle about to hide our numbers, I'm with Jehuty to draw their attention!" Things never go as they should. No one dies today.

Kellar's visor closed over his eyes and the jawline from the bottom of the helmet closed around his chin. The golden scales shimmered and then hardened over Kellar's armor. (Kellar used Blade Ward) He drew his lance and cradled it in his arm and he barreled down the road beside Jehuty.

Actions:

Kellar suggests a potential split of the group, some on the road and some in the woods. He will not contest other ideas and will continue to ride forward.
Kellar casts Blade Ward, gains resistance from B, P & S damage until the end of his next turn. (AO, however you want to handle next turn, I would imagine after the first round of combat).
avatar
Kellar
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 485
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Wisconsin

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Custer Thickett on Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:33 pm

Custer kept his well worn travel cloak pulled tight over his shoulders as his donkey swayed in stride with the horses.  He’d been in the teeth before, but he never would be comfortable in their frigid bite.  ”Wasn’t this bad…” he mumbled thinking on his last trip into their maw.  It was thoughts of that last trip that kept him distracted.  His eyes scanning the horizon and sky above busy looking for the shifting shadows of the blue dragon.  Show me again me Lady.  Where?

His ass arched it’s head to look back at him, a sniveling smile upon its face as if it could feel Custer’s discomfort.  The animal batted its gums against the reigns hanging in its mouth, likely to relieve its own discomfort, but to Cuss it seemed as if he was being mocked.  He narrowed his eyes staring back at the beast.  Don’t you do it again, ya filthy…  Cuss tightly held the leather, expecting the donkey to throw another fit at any moment.  He’d not be seen on his back this time.

Jehuty commanded a halt and spoke of the distance remaining.  As the proud man of Helm spoke, Cuss’s eyes wandered.  He straightened in his saddle, suddenly aware of a new song in the trees.  The leaves rustled and whispered in the wood, but he could not hear what they were trying to say.  Then came the shout from below.  Custer instantly felt foolish upon seeing the attack pour from the trees into the main column.  His thoughts whined with voice of Agata, How’d you miss that, Cuss?  Head in the clouds again?

Looking for you, me love…

Jehuty and Kellar were charging back down the slope in an instant, bloodletting instincts driving their charge.  Cuss reached for K’Tesh’s bow at his side, pulling it free and cocking it loaded as he looked to the others fleeting moment of indecision.  Oiy, Might be they have us trapped but me thinks they climbed into the cage with us, yeah?  

Cuss tightened the leather straps of the reigns in his left hand, the material moaning in his grip.  He kicked into the donkey to urge it into the woods, yet the animal was of no mind to head towards the sounds of battle.  Custer tried to encourage it with insults, ”Move, ya good fer n… ya got me goin round me elbow to get to me ass, yeah?”  The donkey turned up the hill, ”Oh no ya don’t.”  With no time, Cuss took a risky option, and stuck the animal with the pointed tip of his loaded crossbow.  The Ass screamed and bucked at him.  Cuss pulled at it hard to aim it downhill through the trees as he fought to keep his balance with one hand.  He stuck it again, and ducked a low hanging branch in a wild descent upon whatever was down there…

[Rolling DEX +6, proficient.]
26

Where he'd found the animal difficult in their ascent, the chaotic bucking tumble down the hill through the trees seemed a familiar dance to him. He bounced, ducked, turned, pulled, and poked as branches reached out to grab him. The whispering of the leaves became the applause of thousands in awe by his graceful dance upon the sure footed yet foolish animal.


Actions:

  • Cuss loads one bow as he has to hold onto his Ass with one hand.
  • Cuss heads through the trees to the left, encouraging his animal to keep pace with the other’s charge by sticking it with his loaded bow.
  • Cuss will look for leaders when he gets close to the battle, in hopes to take a shot at one as he gallops past the melee.  He would like to get back between the battle and the city so as to not be cut off.


Last edited by Custer Thickett on Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  DiceMaster on Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:33 pm

The member 'Custer Thickett' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 20

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Artimus DeLonde on Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:20 pm

The warm sun glistened and glimmered across the amber blond peaks of small teeth mountain range that rose out of the south over their six hour trek. The cool granite of Imnescar was replaced by citrine dotted landscapes that rose suddenly and deep blue grey canyons that dove and twisted. A beautiful vista, that stood in stark contrast to what lay within.

The hastened pace of the journey pushed their mounts till the frothed around the mouths and sweat gathered around their necks.  Artimus comforted the slate grey animal that he rode, petting it’s strong neck.. This horse was older, nine or so and tri-angled scars on its flanks told the story,  it had battle before and seemed to know the rising danger of the road that they travelled as well as any of the outriders in the legion. It knew and yet it still galloped, a stern majestic bravery, holding at bay the panic that seemed to grip every of its kind.

==============
Jehuty pauses for a moment, signalling back for them to follow suit. After a brief moment, they come to rest.

Chaos erupted at foyer to the Lion’s Pass as a swarm of shadowy figured poured out of the forest fringe. Artimus joined the charge urging on the grey steed pulling in behind Kellar, lessening the targets available for archers that would surely be in hiding in the brush.  Artimus considered grabbing for a spear that hung of the horses flank but instead gently pulled his Drucchi edge from its scabbard and prepared for a passing charge. He would cut a rider or two down as he passed their line. Slipping his blade gracefully through the first and brutally through the second, perhaps knocking the man to the ground.

To the left he saw Custer disappear into the trees, where the blackbirds took flight.

A thick gob of birdshit struck the Mariner in the shoulder.

Good luck.


Last edited by Artimus DeLonde on Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
Artimus DeLonde
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 528
Join date : 2010-08-16
Age : 33
Location : GTA

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
50/61  (50/61)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  DiceMaster on Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:20 pm

The member 'Artimus DeLonde' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 7

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Ao on Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:13 pm

The frost kissed trees blur past your vision as you charge down the long road, following Jehuty. Ahead, you watch as the guardsmen whirl about in a frenzy, spears thrusting and cutting as the black-clothed assailants spill out from the woods.

Custer careens through the bushes, on pace with the fellowship thanks to his daring venture into the valley. Trees whip past he and his mount, as the halfling pushes the donkey to the end of its rope. Roots and stones threaten to trip, throwing them almost assuredly down a ridge or into a tree, to a bloody end.

But the rogue holds tight, guiding his mount towards the pitched battle…

[…]

“With me!” shouts Jehuty as you close on the battle. Keller can see that the warhost is badly outnumbered. Already, three have been pulled from their horses and they fight a bloody battle on foot.

Orcs and rapier-wielding humans step into the ring, moving with trained reflexes. These are not zealots - these are fighters.

Black cloth covers their mouths and hairline, revealing only sinister eyes peering out from beneath. The white triangle is emblazoned on their tabards and tunics - the symbol of Sothis, undoubtedly.

Jehuty’s mount kicks up dust as he tears past a stand of trees, arrows whistling out behind the battle cleric. He shouts a curse, breaking a shaft out of his chainmail and holding his pole arm high.

In the treeline, you can see arches thrumming their bows into the melee. Already, several of the horse-mounted outriders have pulled bows from their backs, and are busy mounting a ride-by counter attack into the archers.

Artimus rides behind Kellar, his mount slow and challenging. Osvald and Dwan are farther behind yet, watching as the battle unfolds…

From out of the trees, Kellar is halted upon his horse. Jehuty disappears for a second as an outrider rides past, dipping a spear into the neck of a marauder. His cowl is ripped from his face as the spear retracts, bringing with it a death-bearing spurt of blood.

But the dragoon is already watching as an enormous orc lumbers out from the treeline.

The brute is undoubtedly the chieftain. A tall, battle-scarred veteran with deep, grizzly cuts across its face. Dark, knotted chainmail hangs from his shoulders, and he drags an enormous great axe alongside him.

He is accompanied by a champion in plate mail, almost as enormous as he. And behind them, a host of marauders - two with bows, and two with axes.

As a unit, they watch you ride in.

The chieftain grins, and charges you.

=========================

Ok guys. Custer is in the treeline directly behind the orc chieftain and his men. Further to the north, the battle rages on - you are slightly apart from it.

Custer, because of your excellent roll you’ve caught up to your fellows despite being in the woods. I’m going to award you advantage, and the ability for a sneak attack of course. In addition, you will not be able to be targeted next post rotation (real element of surprise there).

All stats are up in the lair. You’re approximately 30 feet away from the chieftain.

Osvald + Dwan, you're a little farther back. I'm giving advantage to the orcs if they choose to fire upon you with bows (you're just a clear shot).

The sun burns overhead.

EXP: +20
avatar
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 28
Location : ON

Character sheet
Armor Class::
Health:
1/1  (1/1)
Hit Dice::
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Kellar on Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:24 pm

Kellar spotted the leader as he closed in on the melee. He shouted, "Svent wer Rimem! (Translation: Kill the Chieftain!) Kellar's golden body glided along the ground on horseback. He cradled his lance under his arm for impact! (Attack Roll= 10+7= 17; Success!; DMG= 6,5+6= 17! The lance found its mark as it drove between the armor of the Orc Chieftain! Kellar growled at the Orc as he rode past and let his lance drag from the open wound.

"Outriders! Attack the Chieftain! Weaken their resolve!" He shouted as he circled around and came charging back toward the chieftain! The golden scales floating above Kellar's armor and skin starts to flake away into the wind.

Actions:

Kellar made his first attack! Kellar commanded the Outriders to concentrate on the Orc Chieftain.
Note: Blade Ward has faded, and Kellar has not reapplied the spell.


Last edited by Kellar on Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Rollz n Actionz)
avatar
Kellar
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 485
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Wisconsin

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  DiceMaster on Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:24 pm

The member 'Kellar' has done the following action : Dice Roller

#1 'D20' : 10

--------------------------------

#2 'D6' : 6, 5

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Artimus DeLonde on Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:24 pm

tabdak tabdak- tabdak tabdak- tabdak tabdak- tabdak tabdak- tabdak tabdak- tabdak tabdak- tabdak tabdak

The slate steed strode boldy through jagged foothills. Trees whipped by becoming a stream of ruddy brown and yellow. The fleeting season stealing the life from their limbs and leaf. Artimus could see a sliver what lay ahead past Kellar's glimmering scales and wide, plate covered back.

"Outriders! Attack the Chieftain! Weaken their resolve!"- Kellar

Artimus kept his eyes trained on the Dragoon's lance arm waiting for the moment. Kellar, marking his target readied the heavy pinion of war that he carried. In another man’s hands it would have seemed impossible, but the dragon hunter handled it with ease.  

The mariner urged his steed to the right coming alongside the lance and Kellar. He gribbed his edge in his off-hand and swung wide, like a farmer reaping the waiting harvest wheat. The Drucchi edge glided down the Kellar's lance sailing into the chieftain’s body bringing with it a bounty of blood.

Artimus flicked the blade loose, turning it as he turned the old warhorse further right, bringing the ebony Elven sword swiftly into the chieftain’s wrist where he gripped his massive ax. It too bit, like an asp in the reeds.

The scream of a Brown-tailed Hawk echoes off the hills. It had been hunting at the fringes. It's cry broke the din of battle as it dove plucking a raven out of the sky.

Artimus continue on his path bringing his horse around for another pass on the chieftain (  the intention being that I will be out of his immediate range, the chieftain will have to pick up his giant ax and turn around to move towards Artimus)

===============================================================
Expends 2 swordsman dice on a hit,  Two attacks on the Chieftan.
Attack1 1d20+3+3   Dmg 2d8+1+3+2
Goading attack, add superiority die to dmg, Chieftain has disadvantage on hitting any target but me until end of his next turn DC17 Wis
Attack 2  1d20+3+3   Dmg 2d8+1+3+2
Disarming attack add superiority die to dmg Chieftain drops his axe unless he makes a DEX save dc 17


Last edited by Artimus DeLonde on Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:30 am; edited 4 times in total
avatar
Artimus DeLonde
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 528
Join date : 2010-08-16
Age : 33
Location : GTA

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
50/61  (50/61)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  DiceMaster on Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:24 pm

The member 'Artimus DeLonde' has done the following action : Dice Roller

#1 'D20' : 11, 6

--------------------------------

#2 'D8' : 3, 6, 7, 1

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Custer Thickett on Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:53 pm

Custer's eyes dart from target to potential target as he ducks another branch.  His reckless decent would put him right on them soon.  A glimmer of reflected sunlight caught his eye, drawing his attention to the champion and chieftain moving out of the trees ahead of him.  They had not yet spotted him, their attention squarely on Kellar's shimmering scales.  Cuss focused forward, and guided his Ass near the edge of the treeline to bring him just up behind the shiny man and his companions...

tabdak tabdak"Svent wer Rimem!"tabdak tabdak CRRRACK!

The Chieftain was turned by Kellar's blow as Artimus flayed his flank and arm.  Cuss outstretched his arm and lowered the sights on the massive head stretching open to roar at the passing riders.  Twing! sang the string, streaking the bolt forward to the mark...

[Rolling Assassinate with Advantage] +6
14

and whistling harmlessly past the Orc. Out of the corner of his eye, Cuss spots another low branch.  He lets go of the reins with his free hand and grasp the branch, kicking free of his Ass to swing up into the tree and leave the Donkey to kick about among the archers. 

[Rolling Dex, proficient] +6
13

Cuss scurries high into the branches, hiding among the multicolored leaves, calm as a summer breeze.  

[Cunning Action to Roll Stealth] +9
15

There he observes the battle unfolding below.  He pulls a vial of poison free from his belt and dips two bolts inside.  After stowing the vial, he loads K'Tesh's dark bow with one bolt.  Then, he pulls his light colored bow free and cocks it loaded with the other bolt.


Last edited by Custer Thickett on Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  DiceMaster on Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:53 pm

The member 'Custer Thickett' has done the following action : Dice Roller

#1 'D20' : 6, 8

--------------------------------

#2 'D20' : 7

--------------------------------

#3 'D20' : 6

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum