Chapter Four

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  DiceMaster on Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:04 pm

The member 'Kellar' has done the following action : Dice Roller

#1 'D20' : 2

--------------------------------

#2 'D6' : 1, 2

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Artimus DeLonde on Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:53 am

Artimus lunged forward angling to land a killing blow on the enraged orge. The brute was slashed and scissored, bleeding out and flailing with something close to panic but closer to repugnant anger. The creature turned the strike aside with a wild swing.

Artimus pressed again, the tip of the Imnescarian spear finding it's mark. He twisted the spear, rending ventral from valve. The Mariners face twisted cruely as he heaped pain into the fires of pre-emptive punishment.

He drew the spear back with a wet slop as black-red fluid sloshed onto the ground prompting step jump back abruptly, drek like this would stainh is fine leather boots.

Artimus eyed the battle field and caught sight the escaping orge with Kellar and Custer in pursuit.

The range was great and not getting any better.

ACTION SURGE

The Mariner heaved a barrell of air into his lungs, holding the full measure corked by pursed lips. He cocked his arm over his shoulder and stepped once, again, and a third time wrenching his arm on the last stride letting loose--

He envisioning a shooting star streaking across the moon.  

As it took flight he gave a nervous half smile, hoping not to strike an ally with the wild javelin.

=========
miss, hit, hit
Expend one swordsman die for disarming stike
DC 17 Dex or drop horn


Last edited by Artimus DeLonde on Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:13 am; edited 6 times in total
avatar
Artimus DeLonde
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 528
Join date : 2010-08-16
Age : 33
Location : GTA

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
50/61  (50/61)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  DiceMaster on Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:53 am

The member 'Artimus DeLonde' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 4, 6, 15

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Dwan Bolduum on Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:10 am

The panic on the remaining Ogre's face instills worry in Dwan.  As he sees the hulking beast turn away and reach for his horn, Dwan raises his scepter again.  The now familiar feel of the surrounding static fills him once more, though weaker than the last two strikes.

I haven't given it enough time.  He watches the Ogre make it's move out from the battlefield, its strides speeding it along.  

*Step*  

The static grows with Dwan's urgency.

*Step*

Power surges into the Dwarf as the Ogre reaches the edge of the storm cloud.

*Step*

As Artimus's spear flies through the air Dwan swings the scepter down, aiming the strike at the ogre's back.

The bolt seems to take on a life of it's own and divert's from Dwan's strike point striking in front of the Ogre and causing an explosion of earth to slam into it's body.

=====================================

Rolling damage and dodge in lair.
avatar
Dwan Bolduum
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 224
Join date : 2015-01-29

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 14
Health:
57/57  (57/57)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Ao on Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:51 pm

Artimus’ javelin sails through the air, rippling along its shaft as mud and dirt explode from Dwan’s call of lightning.

The ogre stumbles, nearly falling to his knees…

[Artimus, disarming strike vs. Mok = Failed]

…but the beast catches himself, contorting in defiance to his flaccid musculature as the javelin sails harmlessly by.

He slows for a moment, lifting the horn to his lips, and pressing out a deep, gut-level bellows…

The horn sounds long and deep, a bassy tremor that echoes through the valley and sends carrion birds flapping up from the trees into the searing blue sky.

The water in the lake ripples with its force, and the Ogre turns round defiantly with a hard glare before continuing into his run…

There is no question. Whomever the signal was meant for in the valley, certainly heard it.

==================|

Ok fellows. Any of you wishing to try and cut down the Ogre as he retreats can follow up and catch up automatically if you have a mount. Just know that that takes you closer to the pass, probably by several hundred feet.

To slay the ogre, I’m just going to ask for a DC15 Strength check from a character of at least 15 Strength. I’ll allow an assisting character (of at least 15 strength, also) to provide advantage.

If you fail that check, then you can come up with an interesting way that the ogre eluded you, and disappeared into the foothills surrounding the pass.

Don’t forget - theres the origin of the black arrow from the forest to investigate. And, of course, whatever might have heard that horn……..

PS - Artimus, I don’t believe you can use disarming strike as a ranged attack. I let it slide this time, but please look it up and verify.

EXP: +20 for posting, and +450 each for slaying the ogres. no experience awarded for stopping the horn blast, sadly.

avatar
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 28
Location : ON

Character sheet
Armor Class::
Health:
1/1  (1/1)
Hit Dice::
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Custer Thickett on Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:42 pm

The donkey's pace increased as the horn bellowed through the trees, across the water, and echoed off the mountain peaks.  Ifreann Fuilteacha! (Bloddy Hell) Cuss thought as he reached for the Kraken's Fist bouncing beneath his cloak's clasp.  Palming it, he thought If it gets away, then our chances of infiltration are nil.  They'll expect the disguise.

Cuss gripped the saddle horn tight, and leaned hard to the left, coaxing his ass to turn toward the Ogre's path.  "Lets cut em off, yeah?  Come on!"

[Dex check to try to get ahead of the Ogre and cut across his path into the treeline.  Donkey uses dash. +3]
7

Hunkey! cried the donkey in protest as it turned around and headed back towards the others and the fallen.  Soon, Cuss was bouncing past Dwan at the shoreline, shouting insults at the donkey as it started turning circles and trying to buck him off.  Honk Honk Hunkey!

Finally having enough, Cuss took the bolt out of his mouth that he had intended for the Ogre, and started sticking the ass to send it barreling for the trees.  As it galloped, Cuss slug his bow over his shoulder and retrieved the length of rope and grappling hook hanging off the side of his pack.  He looped it over the donkey's snout, and pulled it taught to hold the animal's mouth shut, muffling its baying.  They disappeared into the trees past the battle's scene.  

Cuss talked to the animal, trying to get it to slow.  He was no good with animals.  Never had been.  He couldn't even keep his puppy alive.  

Cuss dropped the hook into the roots of a passing tree, and dove off the ass, rolling into a thick bush.  

The rope straightened and pulled hard at the donkey, whipping its head back and causing it to stumble to a stop.  It would have cried out if not for its mouth being tied shut.

From under the bush, Cuss heard Agata's whisper.  'You're an asshole.'

[Cunning Action Stealth Roll +9.]
28

-----

Hiding in the woods near where the black arrows came from.


Last edited by Custer Thickett on Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:12 am; edited 3 times in total
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  DiceMaster on Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:42 pm

The member 'Custer Thickett' has done the following action : Dice Roller

#1 'D20' : 4

--------------------------------

#2 'D20' : 19

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Kellar on Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:37 pm

Kellar raised a hand and drew forth a javelin of ice and rode forward. He watched the ogre fleeing. The javelin left his hand and soared. Strength Check= 2+7= 9; Failure! "It's too late, he's already made the call with that damned horn. We won't have much time until reinforcements return. Lord Hale, what do you think?" He waited for the ranger to respond. He dropped from his horse, and Orbaugh dropped to the ground and began sniffing the ground and looking at his reflection in the water. Master, water is clean, cool. I like it.

Kellar looked at the ogres that were slain. He noted the black arrows. "Hale, is this familiar to you? Black plumed arrows, those shots were accurate. Saved us some work I think." He held his side, remembering the axes he took to his side to protect his horse. He shut his eyes and focused on his wounds. Shimmering scales seeped into the wound and began stitching itself closed. Second Wind= 9+4= 13 HP recovered He brushed away the golden scales and he saw a dark blue line where he was struck. He stowed his lance and checked the dead ogres for missives, weapons, and provisions. Perception Roll= 13+3= 16; Success?

He walked back to where he dropped his cloak and picked it up. He wore it again as golden scales shimmered over his skin and armor. "I'm ready. What are we doing?"

Actions:
Kellar used Second Wind and is back at full health.
Kellar used Blade Ward, gains Resistance.
Kellar will follow Hale's orders and direction.


Last edited by Kellar on Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Rollz n Actionz)
avatar
Kellar
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 485
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Wisconsin

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  DiceMaster on Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:37 pm

The member 'Kellar' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 2

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Ao on Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:00 pm

Custer sits, catching his breath, in the underbrush of the wood as his donkey rubs its back against a knotty pine tree.

[Custer, stealth results;]

The halfling knows he is virtually invisible, crouched in the dark thicket like water-predator floating through a swamp.

As he sits, his ears perk up. Looking from out the bush, a dark cloak flourishes around a tall man who drops from a tree overhead - undoubtedly the black arrow archer.

He stands over six feet in height, his greasy hair drawn up into a topknot and his face framed by an enormous, bushy beard.

The cowl of his cloak is bunched around his neck, and he moves nearly silently through the woods with his bow in hand…

[…]

Kellar watches as the ogre disappears into the foothills. Undoubtedly out of reach, now.

Whomever dwells in the pass would know of them imminently.

Suddenly, the nearly imperceptible sound of bushes rustling reaches your ears. You turn to the treeline, and see a tall man walking towards you with his bow in hand.

His eyes are cold, and his expression grim. He looks at the lot of you quickly, and then lowers the bow.

“Asial said you were coming.” he says in a slow, gravelly tone. “Seems you know how to cut your way through a pack of ogres. That’s convenient, because his-“ he points to the pass “-friends will undoubtedly be expecting us now.”

He sighs, chewing on his bottom lip.

“I am Olufsen. And we should get off this beach. Now.”

===============

Ok lads, Olufsen will try and get you guys to follow him back into the woods. Custer, you have surprise on him because of your sneaking, if for some reason you mistrust or intent on doing something other than what he’s suggesting.

I’ll ask that you guys ask any questions you have of him this post rotation, but ALSO express your intentions (approaching the pass, how you’re going to do that, not approaching the pass, whatever)

EXP: +20
avatar
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 28
Location : ON

Character sheet
Armor Class::
Health:
1/1  (1/1)
Hit Dice::
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Custer Thickett on Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:20 pm

'I can't just go letting em loose out here, now can I?' He argues back to Agata.  

She may have responded if not for the interruption of the tall man.  'Wha, ah.  Those are the eyes that have been watching us.  Surely he knows I'm out here, somewhere, no?'

Cuss carefully slips a quarrel into his crossbow, and quietly follows him out of the treeline.  Chances are that he was Osvald's cousin, but Cuss knew better than to bet his friends' lives on such an assumption when their enemy is the God of Murder and Lies.  

He stops in the man's long shadow and keeps his bow level and ready.  He'd wait for Osvald's lead before lowering his guard.

If Osvald introduces him, Cuss will bow low.

When appropriate, Cuss says, "The cloaks got us this far, but I spect we'll not be able to simply walk up the pass with them now, no?  Mayhaps we stirred enough suspicion to confuse their lower ranks.  Might be we can still hide in the crowd or fool a single sentry, yeah?  Best if we have another way to the towers.  Is there such a path?"

........

Rolling Stealth for travel.  28
Rolling Perception for travel. 7


Last edited by Custer Thickett on Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  DiceMaster on Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:20 pm

The member 'Custer Thickett' has done the following action : Dice Roller

#1 'D20' : 19

--------------------------------

#2 'D20' : 6

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Kellar on Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:37 pm

Kellar watched the large man with the bow emerge from the treeline. "This the person we're looking for Lord Hale?" He asked while he was removing the gold and trinkets from the ogres and stowing it on his horse. He shuffled the coin by weight in his hand and stopped at each of his companions and dropped seventy-six gold pieces in their pouches. "Not much good it will do out here, but when we get back to civilization it'll be useful."

"Olufsen, I am Kellar the Quick. I have no problem following you into the wood, as long as Osvald can confirm your identity." He looked back at the pass and then the tree line. "I don't think heading toward the pass will be a worthwhile endeavor. If you know of a different path that we can take I would be satisfied with that as long as we reach our destination. What does everyone think?" Kellar waited for the others to respond.

Actions:
Kellar will follow as long as Osvald confirms Olufsen as his cousin (right?).
Kellar kept the jewels they found (for Andrianna, unless people want them).
Stealth Roll= 8+5= 13
Insight Roll= 12+3= 15 (To determine the actions of Olufsen as being genuine and will not harm the party.


Last edited by Kellar on Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Rollz n Actionz)
avatar
Kellar
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 485
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Wisconsin

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  DiceMaster on Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:37 pm

The member 'Kellar' has done the following action : Dice Roller

#1 'D20' : 8

--------------------------------

#2 'D20' : 12

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Dwan Bolduum on Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:52 am

Dwan calms his composure and wills away the storm cloud. Better not give its allies any easier ways to track us. Dwan took a moment after the clouds were gone to admire the blue sky and the beach that they are on.

As the hunter emerges from the bushes, Dwan rounds his horse over to listen to his warning. This man looks familar, Dwan thought, not being able to place where he has seen him before.

Olufsen wrote:I am Olufsen. And we should get off this beach. Now.

Hale's cousin, that makes sense.

Greetings sir, I am Dwan Bolduum. Dwan turns to the group to speak I'll have to agree with this man, we were lucky enough to catch this ogre scouting party off guard but I think we should retreat from this place before they bring more seasoned warriors for us to battle with.

===================================================
Introductions
Dwan thinks they should go
avatar
Dwan Bolduum
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 224
Join date : 2015-01-29

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 14
Health:
57/57  (57/57)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Ao on Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:13 pm

The ranger slinks into the shadows as you follow him, Olufsen moving swiftly over fallen trees and dead branches like a spectre through the darkened forest.

He jumps off a small ledge, setting down behind a shoulder-height boulder bordering a small stream. The ranger stands tall, waiting for you to congregate around.

[Osvald/ Im assuming that you’ve drawn your hood about you and that he cannot see your face. You can reveal yourself when you’d like…]

“Fortune favours me, that you would wanter into this tract of the small teeth.” he says quickly, watching you filter in.

“This mission - this I thought I would carry alone. The harpers have done well by me - you seem able with blade and bow. Who are you, fellows. And why do you follow me into the dark?”

His words hang in the air, with a cautious confidence bolstered by his cold, scarred stare.

He listens for a moment, considering you.

“The cleric, Keisan. I’ve followed him and his cadre for months, knowing full well that the venom of Cyric breeds in these hills. I watched as they built an allegiance with these ogres of Sothis, and underestimated them even while their combined forces marched on Esmeltaran. Now, Imnescar is poised to suffer a similar fate. Dark times in these mountains, fellows…”

His gruff voice trails off, as he peers around the boulder, staring back at the path from whence you came.

“But none of that matters. Not in the face of this new threat, that you’ve uncovered. I don’t know much of gods or artifacts of power, but if Asial claims the Realms are threatened, then I will listen.”

Olufsen crouches down, clearing aside the leaves and needles that cover the forest floor.

“The men of Cyric have been digging. Indiscriminately, it seemed. Any old ruin, tomb, or hole to the under dark has been kissed by their shovels this past year. And now we know why. They are searching, friends. Searching for some record, or some hint as to the location of the Halichondath…the rod of creation. And whatever it is they were looking for - they found it.”

He stops for a moment, looking up at you poignantly.

“A few weeks ago, a war band of them - southerners - dug up a crypt in the east, near the Brown Lands. They emerged from the tomb with the corpse of an orc, its skin emaciated with the stink of undeath…recently turned. I have seen many such exhumations…the Cyricists have autopsied seemingly every one of the many corpses these mountains have entombed over the last millennium. But this one was different…”

Olufsen stands, grabbing a branch from a nearby tree and snapping it into a small stick.

“They cut open its chest, and within…within it, they found a large compass of brass. Surely, there have been other artifacts unearthed…but in this case, not a day later, Keisan himself rode into the valley with thirty of his men. I could have handled the five, if I had known their discovery was what I sought. But it was too late…The masked cleric rode into camp, slaughtering the five men who had recovered the prize. Poor fools. And then, as quickly as they came, they rode out. Here -“

He points to the distant mountain range, past the pass.

“…to the Twin Towers of the Eternal Eclipse, where Keisan holds his court. I do not know what the compass is, fellows. But it is clearly of import. And the sooner we retrieve it, the better.”

Now Olufsen crouches down, drawing a rough map of the area in the dirt.

“I was awaiting nightfall for my approach. But your accompaniment expands our options.”

He points to an illustration of the pass, where you were headed.

“The pass is guarded by an ogre stronghold, members of Clan Maul. Grol’s lieutenant, Unthuta, and his advisor Eeram lead a cadre of a two dozen ogres, and perhaps three dozen orcs. Most of the orcs are sentries, and poor ones at that. I’ve slain seven in the last day…their patrols are lazy, and complacent. They’ve not seen much action.”

"The ogres, as you've seen, are a much greater challenge..."

Olufsen points to an illustration at the front of the pass….a ‘gate’, of sorts.

“Their front gate is wood, and often unsecured. With horses, we could likely crash into their camp and catch them surprised. It would be bloody…but could be effective.”

He pauses for a moment, and then draws another illustration further to the west of the pass, at the tip of the forest.

“There is another way. A half-mile to the west of the pass, there is a cavern network that terminates in this forest. The patrol that I dispatched came through its mouth as a hunting party, and so I believe that it will lead us into the depth of their camp. However, there’s no telling what we might expect within the caves, and we’ll have to leave our horses.”

He looks up from the map, with a questioning glance.

“What say you, fellows?”

========

EXP: +20

Let Olufsen know which way you’d prefer - through the front gate, or the cavern network. Or, another possible way? Also, give me a broad scope of your tactics, and how you plan on approaching your anticipated path.

Ao


Last edited by Ao on Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 28
Location : ON

Character sheet
Armor Class::
Health:
1/1  (1/1)
Hit Dice::
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Osvald Hale on Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:11 pm

“Fortune favours me, that you would wanter into this tract of the small teeth.” he says quickly, watching you filter in.

“This mission - this I thought I would carry alone. The harpers have done well by me - you seem able with blade and bow. Who are you, fellows. And why do you follow me into the dark?”

His words hang in the air, with a cautious confidence bolstered by his cold, scarred stare.


Osvald steps forward, pulling back his hood. "The men of Hale wander not idly in the small teeth. Hello, Uncle. It is good to see you." as a grin bright as a summer morning crosses Osvalds face.

"Os... Osvald? Osvald Hale?! Olufsen exclaims as his stern countenance fades and bright wonderment fills his eyes. Laughing, the two embrace--Osvald hoisted right from the ground by his uncle and the two clap eachother on the back and trade greetings.

Now, side by side, The group can see the familial resemblance between the two--Through Olufsen was thicker set with a heavy brow and wide nose, the two men shared Osvald's unmistakable lopsided grin.

Olufsen cuts their reunion short, promising to speak more after the task at hand.

Osvald relays what they know so far of the situation in the teeth and Amn to his uncle, while the others freely interject their thoughts and flesh out the tale to its full extent.

Nodding thoughtfully, Olufsens gruff demeanour returns and his begins drawing on the forest floor...

Watching his uncle work, the casual manor in which his talked of deeds most men could only dream to achieve, Osvald felt again the pang of regret towards the decline of his family and their lands. The imposing figure carving doggedly into the skin of their homeland was a physical reminder of the glories of old. They had so much to speak of--Osvald only hoped there would be time after all this madness.

After Olusen outlines his two options, Osvald muses a moment and adds his piece:

"I'm loathe to leave the horses at the cave entrance, but we'd almost certainly loose a few if we charge head on. You mention the orc's seem amateur--I can't see them relegating many ogres to patrolling the cave tunnels. Less room to manoeuvre, and they'd likely want to keep the core of their force in close defence of this... Compass... So, I suppose I side slightly on taking the cave route--but we risk the dangers of the under dark should the system delve deeply. Hmm. Kellar, how do you like our odds at a frontal assault? Anyone one have their thoughts to add? As always, I say we put it to a vote, unless one of us can discount an option entirely."

=====

Osvald is leaning slightly to the cave idea but wants to hear other opinions?

If there is a moment on the trail, Osvald will ask his uncle about himself in the ~12 years since they last met.

Specifically, - if Olufsen has any other family remaining
- time and manner of Osvalds brothers deaths
- what happened to the free folk that were once under their protection
- size, composition, and ability of the ranger core Olufsen is working with

Rolling stealth with adv. in case we start moving[/b] 12+7=19


Last edited by Osvald Hale on Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:17 pm; edited 3 times in total
avatar
Osvald Hale
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 268
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Toronto, Canada

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
41/41  (41/41)
Hit Dice::
4/4  (4/4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  DiceMaster on Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:11 pm

The member 'Osvald Hale' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 6, 12

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Ao on Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:07 pm



Olufsen Hale
Ranger of The Small Teeth
avatar
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 28
Location : ON

Character sheet
Armor Class::
Health:
1/1  (1/1)
Hit Dice::
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Kellar on Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:23 am

Kellar listened to Osvald and Olufsen trade niceties. The discussion of going through the tunnels or a direct assault was had. "If it means anything, the camp might be alert to our presence, but the lack of response right away means they aren't that close." Kellar thought for a moment and then continued. "Odds against an enemy force in their camp with a crude fence aren't that good actually. We'll be assaulting them in their own domain. Knock the gate over and then be swarmed by orc and ogre sounds like what Olufsen said. Bloody."

"Heading into the darkness is not much better. Despite the odds against the ogres, I think having the sky over our heads would be more favorable than trudging through the darkness. I can see in the dark with Orbaugh's help, it is just that our track record for being in the dark is not stellar." Orbaugh's head popped over Kellar's shoulder and he gave a nuzzle with his tiny chainmail covered head and dropped to the ground. Orbaugh sniffed and examined their surroundings.

"I vote for a direct assault on the pass. Some planning should be had, Olufsen knows their number and their layout, right?" He waited for Olufsen to reply and waited for his companions to provide their feedback.

Actions:
Kellar votes for the direct assault on the ogre camp at the pass.
Orbaugh Perception: 16+4=20
Kellar Stealth: 16+5= 21


Last edited by Kellar on Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Rollz n Actionz)
avatar
Kellar
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 485
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Wisconsin

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  DiceMaster on Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:23 am

The member 'Kellar' has done the following action : Dice Roller

#1 'D20' : 16, 7

--------------------------------

#2 'D20' : 17

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Artimus DeLonde on Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:59 am

Artimus eye'd Olufsen, taking taking in the man of the black feathered arrows. He was gruff like Osvald, weathered skin and black under the fingernails. His ruddy skin was tanned by the sun and thickened by wind and cold. A man of the mountains. He struck the mariner as a shrude man, His cunning and gorilla tactics had kept him secret and breathing, despite the murderous inhabitants in the small teeth.

Olufsen carried another quality of the Hale’s, he had the air of a man that could chew rocks and cave a man’s face in with one stiff headbutt.

Impressive stock.

Bonjour mon amie, I am Artimus Delonde, Captian of zhe Trois Piztoles, It zeemz zhe lady of zhe moon zmilez on uz all. It iz no miztake we meet here today. It’z clear to me you’ve been a zhorn in zhe zide of Zozhiz and Cyric. Perhapz togezher we could be poizon in zheir veinz or a blade againzt zhe zhroat.

My zhoughtz are wizh your petite nephew. Zhe cavez are a rizk, but zhey will hide our ingrezz. Wizh zhe zounding of zhe horn zome zubterfuge iz necezzary, worzh zhe zmell of mildew and a touch of danger, Non?
Artimus offered, rubbing his battered shoulder.
(Second wind)
=========
Messages sent out via the fist.

To Pelegar:
The same force that moved on Esmelteran now moves on Imnescar, we are evacuating city. Expect refuges mon ami. If you have not already made ready the raven’s reach, do so. Lives hang in the balance.

To Savoy:
I hope you have received the men and women bound for Esmelteran. It will be the first of perhaps many trips. An attack on Imnescar is imminent. We may have to help the refugees Mon ami. Send me your report. Have you received Garvan yet? A second ship may be made ready via Pelegar.

To Catsgruth:
Cycrists rise against Imnescar today, The people of the city flee to Esmelteran. The aid of you and the roadwardens can save many lives. Move swiftly my friend.

avatar
Artimus DeLonde
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 528
Join date : 2010-08-16
Age : 33
Location : GTA

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
50/61  (50/61)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Dwan Bolduum on Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:04 pm

Dwan listens intently as the ranger lays out the plan of attack.

Being a dwarf, obviously underground works well for me, and if we must make hast I cast my vote that way... But from what I hear the alliance between Clan Maul and the Cyrics are precarious to say the least. We should use that to our advantage.

I propose a third option, or at least some other action we can take to create a distraction so that we can easily infiltrate the camp. I propose that we spark up conflict between the two factions and let them kill each other, or at least start a big enough fight that nobody will think to look for us.

We have Cyric weapons and armor that we have been using for disguise, why not take out some ogres and make it looks as if the orcs are the attackers?

I would not have suggested this months ago, but Artimus and Custer have both proven their ability in subterfuge and I believe we can use it to our advantage.

Say nay if you wish, but it's something we should consider.


================================
Dwan proposes starting a war between the two factions. If nobody is behind this he will go the cave route.
avatar
Dwan Bolduum
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 224
Join date : 2015-01-29

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 14
Health:
57/57  (57/57)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Ao on Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:32 pm

Olufsen nods, addressing the fellowship.

“Your decision is sound. I can stand behind the charge, Kellar, but I think your fellows are correct. For now, at least, the cave is our most promising option. We may yet change our minds.”

He turns, whistling gently as a shadowy black-and-tan horse weaves from out of the woodwork. He mounts up, waiting for you to do the same.

“It won’t take us more than an hour. I trust you can move quietly?”

[…]

The forest gives way to a grassy hillside, with gnarled and knotty trees growing out of rocky outcroppings leading through the feet of the pass.

Olufsen guides you carefully, and at once moves you into a small rock shelf at the sound of voices around a corner.

But after long moments of waiting, he deemed the route clear, and you now find yourselves gazing down at a small pond in front of a gaping cave mouth.

You’re perhaps 500 feet away, looking upon the shady clearing where an enormous, oblong hole exposes a subterranean stream emptying out into the emerald waters in front of it. Even from this distance, you can feel the chill rising up from the cave mouth, inky blackness spilling out.

“We leave the horses here.” Says Olufsen, dismounting and tying his mount to a tree. He pats the horse, removing his bow and standing atop the ridge.

“Nephew, you and I will watch your companions as they descend to the pond. Wait at the cave mouth for a moment, Kellar, while the halfling, dwarf, and the good captain remain in cover. Should Clan Maul show themselves, we will be ready.”

===============

Ok guys - last chance. if you decide to go a different way with this, theres still time to change your mind.

The cave looms ahead - inky and black. An emerald pool - perhaps 100 feet in diameter, is drained into from a river within the cave.

Olufsen is suggesting that Kellar approach alone, to draw out any enemies, while the rest of you wait in ambush.

Let me know if you agree, and if you will comply. Or, let me know another strategy you will use.

Also useful, in case no one shows themselves…what will your marching order be entering the cave, and how will you illuminate the way for those of you without dark vision?

EXP: +20
avatar
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 28
Location : ON

Character sheet
Armor Class::
Health:
1/1  (1/1)
Hit Dice::
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Kellar on Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:36 pm

Kellar listened to Dwan's suggestion. "Clan Maul and Keisan are linked through the end result. Whether for good or ill, their fanaticism will carry them through. I think you are onto something with subterfuge and disrupting their ranks a little more. Our small group can only do small things to such a large force. Sothis stands to lose quite a bit of ground if doubt is cast in his direction. Olufsen mentioned recovering the artifact and... do what with it?"

"So, another vote for underground. If that is what everyone wishes, then I will go along with that. We will be without horses again." Kellar sighed and waited for the others to continue discussing strategy.
avatar
Kellar
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 485
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Wisconsin

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Custer Thickett on Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:55 pm

Discussing with Dwan and Kellar, Cuss adds, "Thank ya for the compliment, Dwan.  An ya right at seeing what I was saying about splitting them up, Sothis and Cyric.  Clan Maul might be a tougher group to do it to, though.  We spent some time with em once, and though it was brief, we learned a lot about their leadership both then and from a former associate, no?"  

Cuss glances to Kellar and Osvald for nods, then continues explaining, "Grol killed all of the former elders in his clan that stood against his turning them to Cyric.  One of the last sacrificed himself to save our friend, Grol's betrothed, Anna Maul."

"Grol's went so far as to have the Clan paint symbols of Cyric on themselves and their shields.  He had them turn the long hall of the camp into a sort of Cyricist temple with elaborate tapestries depicting the halfling's mortal accomplishments."

"Kesian owns them.  They are Maul only in name, and we took their axe."


...

Looking into the abyss beyond the cave's entrance, Custer hears a faint, familiar laugh from deep inside his thoughts.  He glances down at Olc, the hand crossbow that once belonged to K'Tesh Hun'ett.  Frowning hard and lost in contemplation.  He startles when Olfusen says, "We'll leave our horses here."

He motions he is fine as he tries to listen to Olfusen's plan.  When the man finishes, Cuss rubs his chin before his eyes widen.  A common look prior to his voicing an idea.  "Ya right!  This is a perfect place for a trap, no?"

As Osvald's eyes narrow, Cuss lowers his voice.

"Look, ya said ya took a hunting party that came out of these caves.  Might be they have friends that'll come looking for them, yeah?"

Cuss shrugs with open arms.

"Mayhaps we can set up and wait for em.  We could take em by surprise and leave one alive for details on the camp.  Iffen it were my call, I'd say we let em find one of the bodies near the mouth and drain the others of what blood is left so they go getting their feet good and covered in it when they come out.  Then we can just follow the clumsy beast back to their camp, no?  If they outpace us, then we follow the footprints until they fade."

Custer looks at each face considering the suggestion.

"Sure they'll come back through the cave in some force to find who's out here.  Might be that's when we can slip past em and into the camp.  A split of their forces as ya say, Kell.  We'd just need to find a good place to hide while they come through, so we can go getting behind em, yeah?"

......

Rolling Stealth.
25


Last edited by Custer Thickett on Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  DiceMaster on Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:55 pm

The member 'Custer Thickett' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 16

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Dwan Bolduum on Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:35 pm

We leave the horses here.

Dwan dismounts and comforts his horse. Whatever blackness that blackness is it's effecting her all the way out here. Dwan whispers into his horse's ear and pats her gently to sooth her.

We do have a great vantage point here, Olfusen, but I don't think we should be sending one of us alone to find out if there are ogres in the tunnel, its too risky. At least not without deception. I can change into something more common and see if there is anything in there without drawing attention to ourselves.

Dwan starts to secure his gear and waits to hear if there are any objections to this plan.

--------------------------------------------------

Dwan proposes changing into a rat or bat or something to scope out the cave before giving everyone the all clear.
I haven't decided on which animal it will be yet. Dwan is waiting to see if there are objections
avatar
Dwan Bolduum
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 224
Join date : 2015-01-29

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 14
Health:
57/57  (57/57)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Ao on Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:48 pm

As the fellowship begins to disperse, one question hangs in the air...

...will Dwan scout the cave, as an animal?

===============

EXP: +20

Hey guys. I had a whole other post I was working on, but Dwan scouting the cave means I need to write it from a different perspective.

So, I need the decision. Are you scouting it? And as what animal? How deep will you go in?

The rest of you; how do you plan on supporting Dwan? Are you going to be near the mouth of the cave?

The treeline is about 75 feet away from the mouth of the cave, if you want cover to hide in for ambush. Otherwise, youll be in the open next to the sapphire shimmering pond in front of the cave mouth.

Let me know

-Ao
avatar
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 28
Location : ON

Character sheet
Armor Class::
Health:
1/1  (1/1)
Hit Dice::
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Osvald Hale on Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:03 pm

As they approach he cave mouth, the group trade thoughts on tactics. Osvald listens while the others and his uncle share their pieces, each option seeming valid and equally fraught with peril.

The rangers breath billows in pale clouds in the chilled air, and he clears his throat just as Dwan speaks up--a bold plan, and wise. Osvald looked at the dwarf. The proud Druid was always surprising him. There was much yet to learn about this warrior turned mystic, and Osvald valued his insight.

"I'm with Dwan. Olufsens plan is sound, but I would not risk One of our number in the open against unknown foes. Master dwarf, your boldness is ever appreciated, but if you do this thing--be safe and do not delve deeply. Keep the light of the entrance within sight. Is there a form you could take that could carry the fist with you? A bat, perhaps? We'll need it to contact eachother, otherwise we risk losing you in the deep."

Osvald looks to Cuss.

"'Tis an ingenious plan, Cuss--but I fear we may be waiting a day or more for our foe to show himself, and there is no telling what may transpire in conflict. We may be left waiting without a target to follow. If at all possible, I agree we capture one of their number and learn what we can about the enemy hold before entering the caverns. Time will tell. Dwan, if you're ready... We should tie the horses loosely to some small branches a distance from the cavern. They won't wander if they think they're tied securely, but should fear or hunger grip them once we've gone, they'll work themselves free easily enough with any luck."

Osvald meets his Olufsens stern gaze, nodding toward him.

"Lead on to the ridge, Uncle. I'll man the overlook with you until we confirm our path ahead."

=====

Osvald agrees with Olufsen about taking up concealed position around the cave entrance, but, if Dwan still volunteers, agree with the dwarfs assessment that an unassuming creature-form should enter and scout the initial area on the cave.

Osvald will only move ahead with the plan if Dwan can carry and communicate using a krakens fist--I assume the trinket, removed of its chain, could be carried by a bat, or rat?
avatar
Osvald Hale
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 268
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Toronto, Canada

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
41/41  (41/41)
Hit Dice::
4/4  (4/4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Kellar on Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:45 am

Kellar listened to Dwan's suggestion. "A scout into the tunnel could work I suppose. I would suggest we move as a group down to the entrance, and then take up a hidden defensive position. Takes care of the threat and we may spring the trap if there is one for us." He removed his lance and summoned the golden scales to cover his armor. "Lead on, when you're ready."

Orbaugh, keep an eye out for movement as we move toward the cave.

When the group approaches the cave, he will suggest: "Orbaugh can go with if you'd like, he can see well enough and is capable of paralyzing enemies. Might be useful instead of sending a "bat" alone. What say you?"

Actions:
Kellar used Blade Ward.
Stealth Roll= 11+5= 16
Perception Roll= 8+3= 11
Orbaugh Perception Roll= 20+4= 24


Last edited by Kellar on Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Rollz n Actionz)
avatar
Kellar
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 485
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Wisconsin

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  DiceMaster on Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:45 am

The member 'Kellar' has done the following action : Dice Roller

#1 'D20' : 11

--------------------------------

#2 'D20' : 8

--------------------------------

#3 'D20' : 3, 20

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Dwan Bolduum on Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:54 pm

After receiving the approval of the group, Dwan makes his way down towards the cave mouth.  About halfway to the opening Dwan's face and body starts to distort.  His face elongates and he shrinks down into the shape of a rat.

Dwan scurries along the edge of the path stopping every few feet to listen for any nearby threats.  When he reaches the mouth of the cave, Dwan turns in along the edge and looks to see if there is anything near the mouth of the cave.

8+3 11

If Dwan doesn't see anything he proceeds into the cave another 15 feet and look around again. And will proceed to do so until he finds a threat, or anything interesting.

===========================================

Dwan changes to a rat and scouts the mouth of the cave.

Perception 11


Last edited by Dwan Bolduum on Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Dwan Bolduum
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 224
Join date : 2015-01-29

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 14
Health:
57/57  (57/57)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  DiceMaster on Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:54 pm

The member 'Dwan Bolduum' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 8

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Artimus DeLonde on Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:04 pm

Olufsen
There is another way. A half-mile to the west of the pass, there is a cavern network that terminates in this forest. The patrol that I dispatched came through its mouth as a hunting party, and so I believe that it will lead us into the depth of their camp. However, there’s no telling what we might expect within the caves, and we’ll have to leave our horses.”
“It won’t take us more than an hour. I trust you can move quietly?”

Dwan
I would not have suggested this months ago, but Artimus and Custer have both proven their ability in subterfuge and I believe we can use it to our advantage.

Artimus bowed with a small flourish hearing Dwans acknowledgement of Custer and his guile.

“I am glad someone appreciates my... artistry.”

Kellar
Clan Maul and Keisan are linked through the end result. Whether for good or ill, their fanaticism will carry them through. I think you are onto something with subterfuge and disrupting their ranks a little more.

Listening tot Kellar a thought meandered into the mariners mind.

“Perhaps we can use some of the weapons or signets carried by the ogres to further implicate the maul clan in an move against Cyrics...”

Artimus moves back to the bodies to gather what he can to implicate the Ogres.


avatar
Artimus DeLonde
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 528
Join date : 2010-08-16
Age : 33
Location : GTA

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
50/61  (50/61)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  DiceMaster on Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:04 pm

The member 'Artimus DeLonde' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 1

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Custer Thickett on Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:46 pm

Shrugging, Cuss says, "Ya right, Lord Hale. Luck may be on our side, but time sure isn't, no?"

When Osvald mentions tying up the horses with a loose knot, he laughs, "Ha! Don't be counting on that stubborn Ass just laying around. Best tie em up real good. He'll chew through the rope within a day, anyhow."

Cuss follows Dwan and Orbaugh along the path, slowly stepping quietly and hugging the shadows of the trees along the edge of the clearing.  He cautiously takes up a well covered position within range of his hand crossbows, cocking and loading both while he waits and listens for any pleas for help.

[Keeping stealth roll of 25]
[Perception 9]


Last edited by Custer Thickett on Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  DiceMaster on Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:46 pm

The member 'Custer Thickett' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 8

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Ao on Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:13 pm

There is a pronounced ringing I his ears as Dwan shifts into the form of a rat, his clumsy dwarves hands burying into the ground as they turn into shrewd claws.

The smells of the forest assail his nose, as he bounds down the hillside, aware of the pseudodragon scurrying after him.

Scents become powerful - the earthy mud filling your nostrils amidst the subtle nuances of beetles, worms and stagnant water...

...stagnant water? A foul smell wrinkles Dwans rat-nose, nearly stealing the breath from his lungs. Looking behind him, he can see that Orbaugh has not noticed, nor have the fellowship that flank the clearing in the treeline.

Dwan pauses, cautiously edging closer to the large emerald pool. As he does, there is no doubt - this water is far, far from potable. It is a toxic spring, loaded with something caustic.

The Druid has not seen or smelled anything of this nature before. And it is clear that he would not have, without his rat senses.

[...]

Dwan creeps through the mouth of the cave, the temperature dropping quickly as all light disappears, devoured by the hanging moss at the lip of the entry.

Orbaugh moves stealthily behind him.

[[cold, master!!]] hears Kellar in his mind, as the dragoon watches for Dwans return.

Dwan finds the initial antechamber of the cave is about four hundred feet deep, and just as wide. Though he cannot see far, it is clear that this enormous chamber slopes upward into the mountains, from whence the wide, fast-running, foul-smelling river pours.

He moves another fifteen feet in, when suddenly a movement upon the cave ceiling stops him...

Looking up, the pulse of his tiny heart quickens to a drum beat, his bones frozen in terror....

Drooping from the ceiling are a dozen long lizardlike tails, attached squarely to the bodies of what appear to be mottled chickens. As Dwan watches, horrified, one of the beasts stretches out, it's claws dug in to the mossy ceiling, spreading a wide span of rough, scaly bat wings...

Orbaugh sees the creatures at the same time. The tiny dragon squeaks, throwing his claws over his mouth...

[[run!!!]] Kellar hears in his mind....

=================

Ok guys, Dwan and Orbaugh are directly under a flock of very strange beasts, about the size of a small dog, with bat wings, lizards tails, and the bodies of a chicken.

There Are about 12 of them.

They have not seen Dwan nor Orbaugh yet. I'll allow you guys to back out, undetected, because of your good idea and sound sneaking.

Let me know what the rest of you plan to do, when Dwan and Orbaugh get out (if that's what they do) - otherwise, plan of action!

Exp:+50 all for the great recon idea
avatar
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 28
Location : ON

Character sheet
Armor Class::
Health:
1/1  (1/1)
Hit Dice::
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Dwan Bolduum on Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:47 pm

Seeing the creatures above, Dwan slowly turns around and makes his way along the wall for about 100 feet.   Once he is sure he is far enough away from the creatures, he takes off heading towards the entry of the cave.  Dwan tries to listen to see if any of the creatures are following but the blood pumping in his ears makes it nearly impossible hear anything.  

As the light at the end of the cave grows larger, Dwan gathers a surge of energy and sprints to the end of the cave.  As Dwan bursts through the opening he starts to revert his form to normal and turns a corner.   The motion looks clumsy and the shift of balance makes Dwan nearly fall into the pool.  Dwan continues to run up towards the agreed meeting place.

As he stops to gather his breath, his friends approach to ask what he has found in the cave.

No ogres in the cave, that I saw.  It's fairly safe around the entrance, but  about 400 feet in the cave opens up into an antechamber. It's a large room, almost too large to see the top.   In this room I saw about a dozen...

(Nature roll to see if Dwan recognizes the creatures) 17+3 20

If Dwan doesn't recognize the creatures:

chicken like creatures with reptilian tails.

if he does recognize the creatures he will identify them properly.

They were crawling on the ceiling, I was lucky enough to avoid notice.  

Also in the room was the source of that sickly green pool.  I don't know what it is, but I was able to detect that it is not safe.  Most likely what is in that pool and flowing from the cave, is caustic.

As far as the lighting goes, the cave is dark and has no other light source.  We may have to user our sun rods if we want to see these creatures as we fight them.

We could have any of us that can navigate the caves lead the way, while the rest hold on via rope. Once we enter the chamber, or at my signal we can light up a sun rod and try to take out as many of these creatures as possible.

Or we could just light up the rod before hand and approach with all of us having proper vision.


==============================

Dwan reports what he sees
Nature roll to see if he recognizes the creatures 17+3 20
Dwan suggests two plans of attack.


Last edited by Dwan Bolduum on Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Dwan Bolduum
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 224
Join date : 2015-01-29

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 14
Health:
57/57  (57/57)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  DiceMaster on Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:47 pm

The member 'Dwan Bolduum' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 17

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Ao on Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:22 am

[dwan, you recognize the beasts as Cockatrices;
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Cockatrice ]
avatar
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 28
Location : ON

Character sheet
Armor Class::
Health:
1/1  (1/1)
Hit Dice::
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Kellar on Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:35 am

"Run!" Orbaugh said in Kellar's mind. He felt the anxiety coming from Orbaugh as he followed Rat-Dwan back out of the cave. He watched Rat-Dwan turn back into Dwarf-Dwan and he give his report. Orbaugh curled up under Kellar's shadow and shivered. It's okay Orbaugh, you were brave. You helped Dwan make it back safely.

"So we're faced with raptors in the dark, or ogres in a camp. Wild animals aren't as organized as ogres. If we have torches that would provide enough light for us that can't see normally in the dark. Orbaugh can certainly lend me his vision as we move about. Are we agreed that we will move into the cave system and rout these birds?" Kellar waited for a response from the others before he began is preparations to head into the cave system.

Actions:
Perception Roll (Orbaugh)= 19+4= 23
Stealth Roll (Kellar)= 14+5= 19


Last edited by Kellar on Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Rollz n Actionz)
avatar
Kellar
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 485
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Wisconsin

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  DiceMaster on Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:35 am

The member 'Kellar' has done the following action : Dice Roller

#1 'D20' : 19, 1

--------------------------------

#2 'D20' : 14

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Artimus DeLonde on Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:16 pm

After some consideration, Artimus dashed the thought of pitting the two factions against each other, it seems their marriage malice and foul intent was a strong one, their time would be better spend trying to recover this compass or discovering its purpose or the Cyrists’ intent, beyond storming the free cities surrounding the small teeth.

Artimus pulled his hands from his brown leather gloves and tucked them into his belt rubbing them together, letting the air at them

He turned to the Elder ranger of the Hale clan,

Allô Mouzier Olefzon, Perhapz I can a ply your ear for a moment , Cie vous plait? You mentioned zhe Harperz, how did you come into contact wizh zhem, we have had zome dealingz wizh zome of zheir agentz, did zhey zuzpect zhe activitiez of zhe Cultiztz of Cyric?
You mentioned zhe brown landz, what do you know of zhat region? Perhapz zome hiztory would zhed zome light.

Zhis corpze zhey unearzhed, it zounded like it waz ancient, you mentioned zhe corpze zhat held zhe compazz waz different, dezpite itz age it ztill zmelt no? You zaid recently turned… did you mean like a fruit gone back or do you zuzpect zomezhing more zinizter.

I’ve heard tale zhat zhe godz cannot come to zhis realm zhemzelvez but can chooze an avatar, could zhis be one zaid avatar, long dead, or rezently turned to undeazh… Or waz zhis an orc of zum renown buried wizh zhis artifact...?

Artimus attention was taken from his questioning musing by a sickly sweet smell in their air. He turned and gazed over the placid waters of the unnaturally green pond.

“Olefzon what do you make of zhis pond… has it always been like this.”

=====================
Artimus inspects the pond without getting to close.

1d20
avatar
Artimus DeLonde
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 528
Join date : 2010-08-16
Age : 33
Location : GTA

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
50/61  (50/61)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  DiceMaster on Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:16 pm

The member 'Artimus DeLonde' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 5

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Ao on Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:21 pm

Olufsen nods at Artimus, the ranger watching as the fellowship prepare themselves for an assault of the cave.

“Recently turned, captain.” he starts. “As in, the walking dead, the animated unliving. Whoever discovered it had dismembered it back into unlife recently.”

Olufsen clears his throat.

“There are many tombs beneath the small teeth. The orc clans have warred and raged across southern Amn for thousands of years. Why the object of Keisan’s attention - this compass - was buried within the chest of a buried, necromantic greenskin is beyond me.”

The ranger walks over to the pond, leaning down and observing the gentle sapphire glow glistening almost imperceptibly across the surface.

“You nose is sound, dwarf. Or at least, the rat’s nose was. Something befouls this pond, though what it is, I do not know. Best to stay away.”

He addresses Artimus again, quickly.

“The harpers have always been friends to the rangers of the teeth. They are not well liked in Amn, and nor are we. And so, we are their eyes and ears in the south.”

[…]

The cool air from the cave entrance brushes your cheeks, as you descend into the mouth of the yawning cavern.

The light from outside guides your footsteps, as you stealthily follow the party members blessed with dark vision.

Those of you who can see in the dark see a landscape of twisted and contorted stone, where the earth has grown wild for many years. Natural ledges and crevices have formed, creating a challenging balancing act along the rocky path, as you follow the tainted stream.

Finally, you see the flock of Cockatrices roosting upon the cave ceiling. Their unnatural feathers and appendages are splayed as they flutter and strut along the roof.

You have the element of surprise.

========

Thanks to Dwan’s good sense and scouting, you guys have the drop on these bastards. Those of you without dark vision have gotten along fine following those that do, but now it is pitch black, and you’ll need a light source if you’re to attack.

Also, who is available to manage Olufsen? Id like to hand him off to be played (in combat, of course) by one of you. Anyone up to the task?

EXP: +20

Stats are up in The Lair
avatar
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 28
Location : ON

Character sheet
Armor Class::
Health:
1/1  (1/1)
Hit Dice::
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Artimus DeLonde on Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:40 pm

Air turned cool as it travelled slowly over ancient rock. It gently trickled over the party as they slunk through the caverns. As the granite cooled the air so did the air gently wear away the stone, as all things did. Even the softest thing was abrasive given enough time, inch by inch bite by bite over the eons.

The smell of minerals liberated from their ancient prisons, danced with exuberant joy and tasted like peat and milk and metal as the mist touched the tongue.

Artimus sensed the party come to a halt. He carefully loaded his heavy crossbow and set it on the ground beside him. He then carefully removed one of the canesters of lantern oil and prepaired the bolt with the flamable mixture.  Gripping the krakens fist he sent a message of co-ordination to those in the company save the elder hail.

"When we are ready I will heave my  lantern oil into their brood, if you have a need for coating on a bolt or arrow, tap me on the shoulder. I am ready to ztrike, doez anyone have a eazy method of shedding light on theze little beazts"

=========
Artimus Readies the canster to be thrown and will heave it to the ceiling when ready ,  if no response he will light a torch. and then throw it.
ranged attack 1d20+6 =  25
Damage?


Last edited by Artimus DeLonde on Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:56 am; edited 5 times in total
avatar
Artimus DeLonde
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 528
Join date : 2010-08-16
Age : 33
Location : GTA

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
50/61  (50/61)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  DiceMaster on Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:40 pm

The member 'Artimus DeLonde' has done the following action : Dice Roller

#1 'D20' : 19

--------------------------------

#2 'D10' : 3

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Kellar on Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:47 pm

Kellar had his lance ready before the others had prepared themselves. Orbaugh climbed to his shoulder and began looking into the dark. Orbaugh, share your vision with me, show me what is in the dark. I show you! Bird things in there, scary looking. Be safe!

"I'll take point if that's okay with everyone." He moved toward the front and looked back over his shoulder. "I can create some flame to set a few of them ablaze for some light. If anyone has another light source feel free to use it. Are you ready?" Kellar moved into the cave and waited for his vision to adjust Orbaugh's vision in the dark. Everything went gray.

His eyes shifted upward at the roosted birds. He found the center and then rested his lance on his shoulder. His golden scales shimmered and he fired a bolt of flame at a cockatrice (Alpha)! Spell Roll= 3+7= 10; No Damage "There's a light source, have at the bastards!" (Action surge used) Kellar drew another flame from within and hurled at another target (Beta) Spell Roll= 15+7= 22; Damage= 1+5= 6

Orbaugh, wait for them to descend before attacking. Be patient.

Kellar picked up his lance again and waited for the cockatrices to retaliate.

Actions:
Kellar used Firebolt x2, one hit, one miss
Kellar used Action Surge.
Kellar still had Blade Ward effective prior to engaging the enemy.


Last edited by Kellar on Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Rollz n Actionz)
avatar
Kellar
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 485
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Wisconsin

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Four

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum