Chapter Two

Page 15 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Custer Thickett on Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:13 pm

Custer stands up from behind the crates and slings his father's crossbow over his back, then retrieves his two hand crossbows.  He looks up at the Galleon, Oiy, me Golden Lady, we've sure put ya up to it for getting us out of this one, yeah?  He calls out to the one leaning over the railing, "Aye!  I'll bring em top side, but he's hurt real bad.  It'll take a moment, yeah?" (Does Cuss recognize any of them?)  Cuss starts walking across the deck, hoping his unease doesn't show in his step.  Mayhaps it's the cold sea mist making ya shiver, Cuss.

Cuss starts looking over the others on this ship as he walks towards the hatch.  Who's the closest match...  Kellar's too big.  Everybody else has a beard, except...  Cuss locks eyes with Artimus, "Eh, Cap'en, me thinks I'm going to need ya help with em.  Come down with me, yeah?"  Cuss winks.  While looking down the hull at the stern, Cuss moves his eyes to look past, trying to see if the militia had gotten their Schooner away.  He then turns and balances carefully while heading below, calling back up to the Galleon.  "A moment, yeah?  I have to wake em up and mayhaps carry em.  He's lost a lot o blood.  Might be faster ya come down here, yeah?"

Once below deck, Cuss quickens his step.  He drops his bows on a table near the ladder up, and then retrieves his pack.  He pulls the string and opens it wide, yanking out K'Tesh's cloak.  He then dives in deeper, shuffling supplies.  He comes out with the bundle of K'Tesh's hair he saved, and various tools from his disguise kit.  He looks up hoping to see Artimus coming down the ladder.  He keeps his voice low, Oiy, I wanted to use his hair as thread to embroider his cloak after I got it re-sized for me, but I'd rather be living through the day, yeah?  Do ya have any of that black powder left down here?  Gonna need it for ya hands and face.  We better be quick about it, too.  Give me that rag around ya head.  I'm going to bundle this hair in the front of it to hide as much of ya face as I can, yeah?  The cloak oughta do the rest."  Cuss looks around, "Oiy, some blood'd be nice too."

[Rolling deception with disguise kit proficiency.  Using advantage assuming Artimus's assistance.  +6]
21 Whew!
================

Cuss is going to disguise Artimus to look similar to K'Tesh.  If we have enough powder to darken his skin, it would help.  If not, he will have to hide his hands and keep his head tilted to hide his face.  The cloak and hair should do well to fool them, if he can make up for the rest of it with an act.  Mayhaps showing himself in the disguise for only a moment, feigning serious injury. There should be a lot of dried blood left on the cloak from K'Tesh's gory neck injury.  Good luck with that, Arty.


Last edited by Custer Thickett on Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:26 pm; edited 4 times in total
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  DiceMaster on Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:13 pm

The member 'Custer Thickett' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 15, 2

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Kellar on Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:18 pm

As the Pistol neared the other ship, he slipped a bit further back into the doorway. Should stay out of sight, blue skinned person and all that, he thought. Fish? Soon enough, Orbaugh. Have some unsavory people to deal with first. Then savory fish? Yes, then fish. Kellar's answer earned him a nuzzle in his chin from the fierce pseudodragon as they slunk away from the door as he stowed his javelin and drew his Battle Axe.

Close quarters, we have a chance then. Maybe grab one of them and use them as a shield, he whispered to himself. From beyond the doorway, Kellar can see Little One making his way toward the door he's standing away from. Can't quite make out what he's saying, he looks casual about it though. No threat just yet.

Actions:
Kellar waits in the shadows like a blue ninja hulk, to see if the thieves will be coming onto the deck to assist in bringing "K'Tesh" up to the deck.
If one of the thieves comes below deck, he'll attempt to remain hidden and grab the last one as silently as he can, hand over their mouth.
Stealth Roll= 18+5= 23; success!?


Last edited by Kellar on Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Rollz n Actionz)
avatar
Kellar
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 485
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Wisconsin

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  DiceMaster on Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:18 pm

The member 'Kellar' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 18

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Shorjahl on Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:57 pm

Shorjahl quickly followed Cuss belowdecks, and looked for any portholes or narrow windows from which he would be able to still target the galleon's crew or masts. Once he saw what Cuss was doing with Artimus, the arcanist calls upon his arcane trickery to soil, color, and alter the appearance of anything Cuss deems helpful to make the Cormyrian appear more like the deceased drow.

--------------

Just assisting with Cuss through prestidigitation.
avatar
Shorjahl
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 227
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 12
Health:
24/24  (24/24)
Hit Dice::
4/4  (4/4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Artimus DeLonde on Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:29 pm

Artimus caught half of the Custer's drift, like a Galleon half turned into a current. He wasn't sure exactly what the young Halfling’s plan but he knew there was a scheme afoot.

Aritmus nodded knowingly before disappearing below decks behind Thickett.

Euh, yez we zhere iz at leazt a barrel, if not two mon amie, but why would we ....

Artimus checked the eyes of the Custer and Shorjahl as they leered at him like A roast duck on the Feast of the Moon

Oh, you mean to dizguise ME as zhiz K'tezh... one moment, what manner of man would need black... oh non, non non non non non.

A few words of protest later, Custer and Shorjahl were busy inking the mariner’s skin with black powder and hull tar.

Artimus stood there, blankfaced and unimpressed.

I'm the captain you know. You only tar a captain in a mutiny. iz thiz a mutiny?

Savoie looked on, with a visage of clear disappointment at this risky venture.

you look ridiculouz Delonde... you're az much a dark elf and I'm a danzing pig.

Bertrand, chimed in looking genuinely worried.  

Don't go dying Art, you still owe us backpay.
 
Artimus keels over in practice, pulling his shirt apart revealing what looks to be a very serious wound across his broad chest. Open and deep. To any present it would seem the cavernous gape could not be a true wound. A injury that severe would kill a man in minutes.  With his hand the tarred captain spread blood over his face and chest.

Zavoy, Bertand, arm you with bowz and zet about helping zail the zhip. Zavoie, you are me now.

He said, placing the resplendent Captain's hat on Savoie's dark haired head and handing him his surcoat.

Don't let it go to your head, oui?


Turning to the pair of disguisers Artimus signalled.
I am ready
as he tried to cloak his own nerves at this wild move and his role in the gambit . If he played near death, he wouldn't have to fake his voice or mannerisms , it seemed the safest bet.

Bluff

Artimus put his arms over the two dissimulators shoulder’s, giving half his weight fall upon them, while letting it appear that he had heaped all of it there.
1d20 + 2  15 Not too bad


Last edited by Artimus DeLonde on Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:27 pm; edited 7 times in total
avatar
Artimus DeLonde
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 528
Join date : 2010-08-16
Age : 33
Location : GTA

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
50/61  (50/61)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  DiceMaster on Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:29 pm

The member 'Artimus DeLonde' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 13

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Ao on Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:32 pm

Seaspray blasts over the deck as Trois Pistoles breaks through the harbour mouth alongside the galleon, the lighthouse streaking past.

Wind whips across the deck, the distant blue horizon beckoning as Savoie emerges from belowdeck with the captain’s hat.

Shorjahl, from the lower decks, peeks up at the galleon through a porthole. The men atop level their crossbows, their commander ready to loose.

He looks unnerved.

Wind whips in the Shadow Thief’s hair as he calls down to you, the boats flying across the water surface, cutting through waves at over 8 knots.

“Show us K’Tesh in five seconds, or I’ll light you up with arrows and fire.” he shouts threateningly, the sun framing his figure in perfect silhouette.

The crew’s jaws slacken when they see Artimus emerge above deck.

[The Artimus-Drow Conspiracy results]

The captain looks changed - his hair a muss and tangle and his skin an inky black. A gaping chest wound has him leaning against Custer, and naturally the mariner feigns a dramatic fall upon the deck.

The Shadow thieves above mutter something incredulous amongst themselves.

And then, they lower their weapons.

“Shar’s buttocks, Alfon will kill us all if he doesn’t live. But we can’t stop. Those militia dogs are at our heels. Keep him alive, and follow us - we’ll put in for port at the Little Fingers. Won’t be more than an hour.”

They disappear over the edge of the rail, their sails full in the wind.

========================

Ok guys,

Custer, you recognize the name ‘Alfon’. He is the prime shadow of the Esmelteran chapter - the shadow thief that all shadow thieves in the region defer to. You find it…odd…that K’Tesh’s death would be a blow to that individual though… that is surprising to you.

You have no idea what the ‘Little Fingers’ are.

What will it be lads? Follow the galleon into their mysterious port? Turn back? Start shooting?

Stay tuned….

Exp: +20 to Art, cuss, kell and shorjahl

PS - It troubles me that this is the second time that Artimus (Dan) has been forced to dress up as a drow to fool the enemy in one of my campaigns. The last time, he actually cut off the poor wretch's ears and face to pull it off. This time, at least it was just the hair...
avatar
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 28
Location : ON

Character sheet
Armor Class::
Health:
1/1  (1/1)
Hit Dice::
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Dwan Bolduum on Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:49 am

Dwan waits at the helm keeping the Pistoles parallel with the galleon.

I'm starting to get the hang of this.

Dwan watches as the interaction takes place in front of him. He keeps a close eye on the archers along the rail scanning for threats.
As the group descends below deck Dwan realizes that he is now the only person on deck. Dwan glances up at the crew of the galleon, making eye contact with one of the archers.

Er um... Nice weather we're havin' today. The silence of the cuts deep.

Dwan focuses his gaze back forward to better navigate the ship. A few minutes later the group comes back up from below deck with an injured drow No... Is that Artimus? Dwan locks his gaze back on the horizon and keeps his mouth shut.

==============

Dwan will stay at the helm and keep the Pistoles in line with the galleon.
Seeing the deception, Dwan will not ready any actions or make any hostile moves, he will fight or follow as the group decides.
avatar
Dwan Bolduum
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 224
Join date : 2015-01-29

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 14
Health:
57/57  (57/57)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Custer Thickett on Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:08 pm

Custer kneels beside Artimus where he collapsed on the deck, laying a hand upon his neck in feigned care for a gravely injured Drow.  He cranes his neck to look up at the rails of the Galleon where the Shadows are lowering their weapons.  Confused and contemplative, he mouths, 'Alfon?' in response to their retreat.  

Cuss looks to Shorjahl and Kellar, tilting his head in suggestion that they come closer.  He looks down at Artimus, "Well done, K'Tesh.  Well done."  Once the others are close, save Osvald in the rigging and Dwan at the helm, Custer continues with a low voice so as not to carry it on the wind, "That Alfon is the Prime.  The boss Shadow of these parts.  Iffen he's to be upset at K'Tesh's demise, might be they have something bigger than the sack of Esmeltaran planned, yeah?  Shorjahl, you said you overheard K'Tesh say 'it'll be over in an hour,' no?  Me thinks that's enough to guess on his knowing about the attack.  Mayhaps we should follow these boys to these Little Fingers to see where this all goes, yeah?  I do not know what or where they are, so iffen we kill em all now, might be we will be in for a bigger surprise than the suffering of me city, me thinks."  Custer's look turns sour as he thinks on K'Tesh's associate at the Sands.  'Talk to ya father,' he said.  "I just worry that we'll find Trader's Glory there."  Then what?

...

In the middle of the following discussion, Custer interjects with a question to Kellar, "Has our little friend learned to fly? If so, mayhaps he can carry a message to the militia in the schooner behind us, yeah?"
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Shorjahl on Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:24 pm

Shorjahl waits for the galleon to be definitely out of earshot before coming back above decks. Once he hears Cuss' plan he nods gravely. "I'm sure the Shadows were at least complicit, if not partially responsible, in the sacking of the city. The whole affair has put a rotten taste in my mouth," he glowers darkly at the ship as it breaks out into the sea. "I can manage to destroy their ship easily enough, and propel us away, if the need arises."

He looks back at the city, and cracks his knuckles into a fist. "I just wish there wasn't so much killing involved." He turns to face the party, a sad smile parting his dark beard. "Nice work there you two," to Cuss and Artimus. "I can hardly tell the difference myself, heh."

-------------------

Follow yo.
"I figured, since I already run this far, I might as well keep on goin'. So that's what I did. I kep' goin'."
avatar
Shorjahl
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 227
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 12
Health:
24/24  (24/24)
Hit Dice::
4/4  (4/4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Osvald Hale on Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:36 pm

Osvald remains in his perch, keeping a watchful eye on the other vessel...

=====

Perception check on the other ship. 4+4-=8

Sorry for the quick one, traveling today.


Last edited by Osvald Hale on Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Osvald Hale
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 268
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Toronto, Canada

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
41/41  (41/41)
Hit Dice::
4/4  (4/4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  DiceMaster on Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:36 pm

The member 'Osvald Hale' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 4

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Kellar on Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:24 pm

Kellar approaches Custer as the halfling was speaking and responded, No, he can't fly yet, our former resident dwarf left us before we could properly set his wings and fully heal them.

As it stands, I'm not all for this hurry up and wait business. But considering that we're traveling down this path, we may as well see it through, he said. I'll collect up the weapons I had strewn about the ship and stow them for now, he concluded.

Kellar looks at Artimus, and then back at Custer, Not a bad rush job, what happens when they get up close to us and see that he's not K'Tesh, he questioned. He lets the question hang in the air as he moves about the deck, collecting the weapons.
avatar
Kellar
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 485
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Wisconsin

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Custer Thickett on Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:49 pm

...I'll collect up the weapons I had strewn about the ship and stow them for now

Custer replies, "Er, might not want to do that quite yet. Considering the Militia chasing them, I doubt they will consider our deployment of arms any more threatening than they already have, no?

...Not a bad rush job, what happens when they get up close to us and see that he's not K'Tesh.

Custer smiles, "With any luck, neither will happen. But if they do find out he's not K'Tesh, then I hopes they never get close, yeah?" Custer winks and shrugs.
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Kellar on Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:16 pm

Kellar shakes his head at Little One. If I risked my life on hopes I wouldn't be standing here now.

I don't find it likely that you'll be throwing javelins after we dock, they're twice your height, unless you're going to use it as a pike after you drop your bolters. I can leave the weapons if you'd like, but it gives me something to do while I wait for our ship to make it's destination, he said.[/b]

Kellar steps closer to Little One and towers over him, casting a shadow, In the event your father's ship is there, what then? If this becomes a family affair, I hope for our sake his allegiance is to his son and not his larger family. (OOC: the hope is meant to sound sarcastic, poking fun at Custer's free thinking on Luck and Hope.

He walks away and stows the weapons and keeps himself busy.

Actions:
Kellar will continue to stow weapons unless he and Custer are going to have words. Then he'll stay and perform verbal judo on Custer! LOL
avatar
Kellar
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 485
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Wisconsin

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Custer Thickett on Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:14 pm

Custer tilts his head sideways as he looks up at Kellar looming over him.  "I'm not saying we will, or that it is likely."  Custer swallows hard as he thinks on the man he didn't recognize at the Sands claiming to be in the employment of Lincoln Thickett.  He had to be lying to me, right?  "I just worry too much is all.  Be that as it may, doan go hanging hopes on what me father may or may not do."
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Kellar on Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:12 am

You're right to be worried Little One. We're headed into enemy territory, he said. Kellar stepped away, removing the shadow over Custer. All the things we've done up to this point, to end up in the company of thieves... or worse.

After Kellar removes the weapons from the deck and places the javelins on the inside of the door that leads under the deck, he approaches the new captain of the Pistol.

Perhaps you can help me, do you have any extra oars, say twelve to fifteen feet in length, he asked Savoy. Kellar looked to the sky in thought with a squint and corrected himself, Well, something that has no rot, it can be soaked in oil or tar, be four to five inches in thickness, it matters not as long as its integrity is sound. he concluded. He turned to walk away and then stopped, Also any draw knives you might have, I found a hatchet earlier that I could use as well. Thanks.

Actions:

Kellar asked Savoy for some lumber from the Pistol, and a couple woodworking tools.
avatar
Kellar
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 485
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Wisconsin

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Custer Thickett on Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:49 am

After Kellar walks away, Custer turns his attention to Shorjahl and Artimus. "Well, iffen we gonna follow em, then we might need be getting word to Pelegar. Would be a shame if he were to think we betrayed em before he catches up to us."
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Ao on Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:37 am

The masts groan as Dwan pulls trois pistoles away from the galleon slightly, following the hulking craft in its wake.

The men atop the galleon step away from the rails, and you can see them begin to toil upon the ship, trimming sails and setting a course.

Nearly an hour later, you look back towards the port of Esmeltaran. It has disappeared from sight, and there is still no sign of Pelegar and his men...

[...]

The sun begins to dip down toward the horizon. You carry along the river Esmel, staring out at the wild country miles away, on shore.

Waterfowl flock atop your boat, and there is an uneasy silence as the crewmembers quietly keep the boat trimmed.

After a time, the Galleon forks towards a channel. It takes nearly an hour, but soon you are away from the main body of water, in a riverway that is only perhaps half a mile wide...

Tall, wild forest grows on both sides. And you see not trade vessels pass you by...

================

Ok guys sorry for the short one got home mucho late from waork last night and crashed.

Everybody gets +50 xp because i suck

Explain to me preparations, distance kept from the galleon, and the strategy ydou plan on employing if they seek to dock somewhere.

Also, theres an opportunity to turn back here, if youd like. It would be unlikely that theyd have any way of maneuvering the galleon around quickly enough to follow you.

Ao
avatar
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 28
Location : ON

Character sheet
Armor Class::
Health:
1/1  (1/1)
Hit Dice::
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Custer Thickett on Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:39 pm

Custer works with the jib sheet attached to the clew of the stay-sail.  He trims the sail, pulling the curve shallow in the wind to reduce drag.  He looks back to Savoy for a nod of approval when he is confident in the smooth sheet's straight edge shape.  He adjust the drag per any suggestion from the crew, and then ties the sheet taught and steps forward to peer over the bow of Trois Pistoles.  

When they near the channel, He turns back and walks down the deck to addresses Artimus, Savoy, Dwan, and any others near the Helm.  He rambles as is his style when nervous, "Not more than an hour, yeah?  Narrow channel like this, time's about right, then we have to be close, yeah?  If we are going to take them before we get there, then we need to act now and hope the river doesn't fork.  Mayhaps leave a couple alive to ask directions if that happens, no?  What do we do?  Either way this works out, it is only going to work with a bit of a plan, no?"


Last edited by Custer Thickett on Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : stern bow, whatevs)
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Artimus DeLonde on Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:27 pm

Blackened, Disheveled and bewigged, Artimus laid for a moment, wondering how he'd got himself into this position. The mariner racked with a dizzying De Ja Vue found a measure of solace remembering the fact he wasn't wearing another man’s severed face and pointed ears.  This was comforting even in the face of his prostrate body position.

The rouse having seemed to have worked Artimus motioned for the aid of his companions to aid him back below decks to “rest” before the birds began to peck at him.

" I don't relizh zhe idea of following zhe zhievez into zheir den. We may be zailing into an overwhelming force... I zhink az Kellar doez, we make out move before we arrive. Climb zhe tranzom and take zhem by force now zheir guard iz down, extract information from zhe crew.  Zhe narrow channel will prevent zhem from firing zhier gunz at zhe Pistole , and reduce any arrow fire we might zuztain from zhe broadzide. Our gambit won't hold up long when we make dock...  Iz zhere an angle I do not zee?"

Artimus consults his seafaring knowledge and knowledge of the region as to their destination.

"Cuzter, do you have any conception of zhiz regionz, or where we could be zailing?”Artimus Consulted Shorjahl and his Arcane instruments. " “ Zhorjahl,  I have zeen you do amazing thingz, can a man wizh your talentz have a power to, zay blow a hole in zhe rear of a vezzel,  it would go along way to eazily board a vezzel.  It’z lezz zubtle zhat climbing, but it would be effective, Non?


=============================

knowledge check natural 20


Last edited by Artimus DeLonde on Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
Artimus DeLonde
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 528
Join date : 2010-08-16
Age : 33
Location : GTA

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
50/61  (50/61)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  DiceMaster on Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:27 pm

The member 'Artimus DeLonde' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 20

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Osvald Hale on Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:01 pm

When his survey of the horizon yields nothing but the dark, brooding forest, Osvald turns and descends to the deck, then into the cabin below where the party talks.

Listening for a moment, he ranger chimes in after Artimus.

"Let's remember why we set after them in the first place. The city will starve. We can't sink the vessel outright, the city needs the goods onboard, and without knowing what we're sailing into, well.... There's at least two dozen men on board that ship, and no telling how many more at their destination. I doubt they'll let us take it back, even if K'tesh asks real nice." his brow furrows, and Osvald leans against a stack of crates. ""...The shadows are involved somehow, but we need to do what we set out to do before we go chance another lead, much as it pains me to say so. I want justice for Esmelteran and it's folk just as much as you all but... Well... No need for justice if they've all starved." He sighs wearily,
"Besides... I don't like the idea of us walking into the snake pit, when we've got a chance to grab the tail right in front of us. The shore is a sharp bank of trees far ahead as I could see. If we could get onboard, force their steering toward the bank and then disable it... We could beach them into the tree line and they'd be stranded. Then, we'd have time to capture someone who knows something worth hearing, and even if any of 'em do escape us on foot, that forest is wild country... We'd have plenty of time to turn around and make our escape the other way, or sail out to sea well before they'd reach their encampment. Pelegar and the guard should even have time to catch up and collect the stolen goods as well."


Osvald looks around to the others for their thoughts.

"However way we go about it, I say our best chance is to act now. Hit 'em fast, and do enough damage to force them to sail headlong into those trees. The river is quiet and conditions look good ahead, we can stop the galleon here without starving the city."

=====

Osvald states his thoughts.
avatar
Osvald Hale
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 268
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Toronto, Canada

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
41/41  (41/41)
Hit Dice::
4/4  (4/4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Custer Thickett on Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:15 pm

Custer follows the crew from the helm down below deck.  He sits atop the ladder so he can peek his head above deck, but still bend his neck to contribute to conversation below deck.  

Custer answers Artimus, "Not so much, but it's a Lake with a few rivers.  Only so many places, yeah?"  

Following Osvald, he says, "Kellar's javelins give me an idea.  I gots a grappling hook and we have plenty of rope.  If we could tie one on each end of a long strong length, might be we could hook the Galleon in a good sturdy spot, then impale a tree ashore.  Won't hold but a moment before something pulls loose on either end or the rope snaps, mayhaps, but we'd only need enough of a yank to pull the front of the ship off course so that they have to correct.  I could time a shot from the nest and to try to injure or expire the one at their helm to delay that correction.  Bad, Good, No?"
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Osvald Hale on Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:21 pm

"You may be onto something, Cuss... Perhaps in conjunction with another gust spell from Shorjahl to force them into the bank once they're off course? "

Osvald looks to the wizard,

"Or could you impact the front of the hull and make them think they've hit a rock or something to distract them for a moment while we take out the helms man and steerage crew? If Dwan can turn into something that flies he might be able to be our inside man. He cleared out the deck here without much effort after all..."
avatar
Osvald Hale
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 268
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Toronto, Canada

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
41/41  (41/41)
Hit Dice::
4/4  (4/4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Shorjahl on Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:23 pm

Shorjahl went belowdecks as the galleon pulled away, content to sit in one of the crew's quarters as he contemplated, rested, and mentally focused upon his spellforms. He'd been exhausted the past few days, but he had tapped into a greater amount of strength than he ever thought possible. To be able to move the ship, kill dozens of enemy soldiers, the thoughts swirled like a torrent in the darkness of his mind. He began to fear that the Mage's Curse was upon him - that ever growing need for more power, that lust for dominance over the natural forces of the world. But what of it? What harm could come if he were more capable? What possible ramifications could there be, if someone as ardently committed to justice and good as he, became more endowed with magical prowess?

The sound of conversation pulled him from his meditation, and he realized he was sitting soaked with cold sweat. A quick puff of arcane energy removed the residue from his body and clothes, and he stood casually and smiled politely at anyone who regarded him.

As the others spoke back and forth, and he was eventually directly addressed by Artimus, he replied. "I believe I can completely remove the galleon's sails, if not their masts entirely, in a matter of a few seconds." He scratched at his beard, and rubbed his nose with the back of a knuckle as he waited for the others to react. "I would need some cover, and I'd need to be close to their ship, maybe twenty paces." The arcanist walked to the nearest porthole, looking out at the galleon. "Artimus, do you think we could haul that ship back around with us into the city?" He turned to look at the captain, and gave a sly, humble grin. "With some arcane assistance, of course."

In response to Osvald and Cuss, "Possibly, although I'd wager that a ship of that size and momentum, even the strongest rope and tree would snap in a heartbeat."

---------------------------

Shorjahl proposes that we get our ship right up behind the galleon. I will cast Cloud of Daggers, which is a 10' sphere that I can move around to destroy the sails and the masts. Once that's done, he can direct it down into the densest pockets of men, and since he just needs line of effect, it should be easy to chew his way around the top deck of the ship and everybody aboard, without actually damaging the belowdecks supplies.

If nobody contests, then this is the action that takes place.
avatar
Shorjahl
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 227
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 12
Health:
24/24  (24/24)
Hit Dice::
4/4  (4/4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Custer Thickett on Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:46 pm

Custer scratches his bare chin as Shorjahl scratches his beard.  Mayhaps I can take a shot on their captain then.  Wouldn't want to kill him though.  "We'll, I'll be in the nest to take an early shot all the same.  Shouldn't somebody use the hook to grab on?  If we don't board, then there's going to be a lot of arrows to dodge.  What was that he meant by fire, do ya think?  I had enough fire for this moon yesterday."

After Artimus answers Shorjahl about towing the Galleon, Custer butts in with, "Well, if ya just went for their ropes and sails, might be we could patch her up with spare materials below their deck during the tow.  Might be we could get her under her own power again out in the lake."

Once it appears to Custer the discussion is over, he heads up the shroud with his father's bow slung across his back. Once he reaches the nest where the one legged man is keeping watch, Custer climbs in and sits with is back against the railing so as to be hidden from view. Maybe their didn't see me come up. He looks up at the bearded sailor staring down at him, putting a finger to his lips, "Mayhaps they'll forget I'm up here. Le me know when we are close to em, yeah?"

=========

Custer is going to sit in the nest for an early shot on either their Captain boss mob, or the helmsmen, which ever is in range and visible.
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Custer Thickett on Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:09 pm

Cuss sits, fondling his father's light crossbow, making sure it is ready to fire.  When Roland says they are close and then Custer begins to hear Shorjahl's chime, Custer will brace himself with his left arm as he spins over onto his knees.  He will peak up over the nest, raise the crossbow in both hands, check the wind in the sails, adjust, hold his breath, and then loose his single deadly shot.

He will watch the flight of the shot, yelp or curse as appropriate, then duck back below the edge of the crows nest as he cocks and loads another quarrel in the groove.

[Rolling for my stealth and attack withheld action.  Firing at Captain.  If he is not a visible target in range, then helmsman.]

[Rolling stealth +7]
24

[Rolling light-crossbow +5, sneak attack assassinate, range 120.]
15


Last edited by Custer Thickett on Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  DiceMaster on Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:09 pm

The member 'Custer Thickett' has done the following action : Dice Roller

#1 'D20' : 17

--------------------------------

#2 'D20' : 2

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Custer Thickett on Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:09 pm

[missed a die]
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  DiceMaster on Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:09 pm

The member 'Custer Thickett' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 10

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Ao on Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:33 pm

Trois Pistoles moves carefully, drifting to behind the transom of the galleon as it continues down the river.

The wind is coming from the north, making the waves choppy, and misting spray up onto the deck. Overhead, an Amnian Troubler bird swoops low and lands on the top of the mast - its bright red chest the herald of impending bloodshed.

Savoie whistles low, a haunting old sailor tune from the Sea of Stars.

An unaccounted-for bottle of Sembian wine rolls across the deck, as the fellowship formulates their plan…

[…]

[Artimus, Knowledge check];

The mariner has been wracking his brain about this area. And, it occurs to him slowly, that he has in fact delivered a package to the ‘Little Fingers’ before. It was three years past, and at the time he was at the mercy of Verdi Di Vicci, running errands like a fool. But indeed, on a misty night they made port there.

Little Fingers is an old Amnian castle, that changed hands many times in the last 500 years of war between halflings, men, and orcs. While technically a military holding of Esmeltaran, Little Fingers is home to a chapter of Shadow Thieves that harbours and trades in smuggled goods, and traders without documentation.

From what the captain recalls, it is well fortified, and would certainly house several hundred men. Not an ideal place for a head-on assault.

=============================

Ok guys, I hear that you’re thinking of dismantling the galleon right here and now. I need that plan fleshed out a little bit more.

Shorjahl, Cloud Of Daggers states:

“You fill the air with spinning daggers in a cube 5 feet on each side, centered on a point you choose within range. A creature takes 4d4 slashing damage when it enters the spell’s area for the first time on a turn or starts its turn there.”

This leads me to believe that the spell is cast on a square (similar to the Entangle spell); it cannot be moved around freely from my understanding.This makes sense; it's 4D6 damage no-save, and so being able to simply sweep a battlefield with that bad boy would be DEVASTATINNNNG!

So, you would have to cast multiple instances of the spell on each sail to rend it apart.

Furthermore, each sail is approximately 90 feet tall. So a 5 foot x 5 foot hole would not do -too much-…I’ll rule it’ll lose 20% speed, if you elect to go that route.


I will allow any attacks in this next round (or whichever round you end up attacking) to be made at advantage, for the surprise generated by Custer’s deception. This can be a ranged or melee attack (or disadvantage for an enemy saving vs. a spell).

Please be explicit on your tactics, noting that with people sputtering around on the deck atop, you can’t really see them unless you’re in the crow’s nest.

So, to summarize, I’m going to need some clear-cut tactics to stop this enormous boat. And you have one post rotation to make it happen, until I’ll assume you’ve taken too long and the boat will land in Little Fingers and we’ll have to go about this another way.

So, please make all rolls this post rotation. Custer, you can keep your rolls from last rotation if you like

As an aside, I know this is a complicated situation so I’ll make myself available in the chat. Also, Shorjahl if you’ve got any further information on Cloud of Daggers and its’ intended use, please bring it to my attention.

EDIT: ALTHOUGH! I just had a thought Shorj - you could probably target the Cloud of Daggers on the spot where the sail is attached to the mast at the top... the sail would fall, or at the very least be unmanageable... You would still need to cast four instances of the spell on each mast though...

Cheers guys,

+20 EXP to shorj, Kell (he was going to post but I stopped him), custer, osvald and artimus
avatar
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 28
Location : ON

Character sheet
Armor Class::
Health:
1/1  (1/1)
Hit Dice::
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Dwan Bolduum on Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:27 am

Dwan looks on quietly as Custer makes his way up to the crow's nest and loads his crossbow. Dwan removes one of his hands from the wheel to slip his scepter out from his belt.

More blood, Dwan whispers.  Selune, are these truly the champions you asked me to find?  

As Dwan finishes the thought the faint outline moon slips out from behind the clouds to appear in the dusk sky. A smile creeps over Dwan's face. Then lend me some of your power.

Dwan focuses on the energy from the moon and channels it into his scepter, the carved runes glowing  softly with a silvery light. Dwan holds the energy in and waits for his companions to strike first before releasing the energy.

==============================================

Dwan gathers energy and prepares the Moonbeam spell. He waits until everyone attacks (or until post rotation is over) before casting, as the effect causes a beam of silvery light to appear.

Moonbeam: lvl 2 spell, 120ft range, summons a cylinder of light that has a 5ft radius and 40ft height. Any creature that enters or starts turn in beam takes 2d10 (5) radiant damage, or half if it makes a DC 13 Constitution check.  
-Also any shape changers revert to their original form. (probably not relevant)

Dwan probably can only target the back 3rd of the galleon. He will focus his light on the helmsman if able, if not he will target any visible target near the back of the Galleon.

OOC: sorry for lack of posts this week, just had a couple of school projects to focus on.


Last edited by Dwan Bolduum on Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Dwan Bolduum
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 224
Join date : 2015-01-29

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 14
Health:
57/57  (57/57)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  DiceMaster on Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:27 am

The member 'Dwan Bolduum' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D10' : 4, 1

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Shorjahl on Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:10 pm

Just going to talk out of character here.

Shorjahl will get to the farthest tip of the ship that has a porthole. He's basically going to be slinging spells, so he doesn't want to get shot to death with arrows. Once he's in range, he wants to place the Shatter spell (10' radius sphere) at the highest point of the mast possible (hoping to do damage to the more spindly bits and sails rather than the guts of the ship), in between the main mast and the one mast closer to him. Basically, a bomb blast in between the main mast and another mast to maximize damage.

Since I'm preparing the spells and they are a standard action, perhaps I'd be allowed to get off two, in which case I'd do the same thing to the other side of the main mast, or whichever masts were the least damaged at that point. But, I want to keep one of my level 2 spells in reserve in case of an emergency. Also, if some bad guys die in the process, cool.

Will roll for my damage, and my percentile here. Let's call "high" for successful collateral damage, and "low" for unsuccessful collateral damage. Listed in chronological order below:

First blast: 15 dmg, high percent
Second: 15 dmg, low percent


Last edited by Shorjahl on Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Shorjahl
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 227
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 12
Health:
24/24  (24/24)
Hit Dice::
4/4  (4/4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  DiceMaster on Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:10 pm

The member 'Shorjahl' has done the following action : Dice Roller

#1 'D8' : 8, 1, 6

--------------------------------

#2 'D100' : 82

--------------------------------

#3 'D8' : 1, 7, 6

--------------------------------

#4 'D100' : 25

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Custer Thickett on Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:24 pm

Cuss's bolt arches in the wind, whistling past the rigging of both ships to strike the helmsman Reuse in the center of the back of his head, wholly disappearing inside, and killing him instantly.
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Artimus DeLonde on Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:00 pm

Artimus, Standing in the visage of man now dead, remembered The oldest and strongest emotion of men who killed and pillaged for selfish gain, of men who sailed the sea and looked to the horizon for innocents to burn.

It was fear..

...and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of what lies beyond and the costs of sins committed on this fleshy plane.

Pushing down his own trepidation, He moved to the front of his Esmelterian sloop and motioned to Savoy to close the distance between they and the stern of the towering vessel.

Savoy Stepped too and closed the distance.  

Artimus taking a deep breath, steeled his heart for as foolhearty an action as there could be.

He took three pounding strides and leapt for the Transom of massive Galleon like man trying to vault a great grey whale.

*Critical success*

He Hung in the air for prayed for wings. Something ushered him forth that was impossible and certain. He felt like a peregrine swooping for prey, swift and leathal.

10+6 16 Assumed success.

Somehow he closed the gap, grasping the ornate wooden fascia of the ship.
The mariner struggled up the stern vaulting the rear Gunwale and Moved just behind the helmsman, where he could be well seen.


Swallowing tactic, prudence and sanity Artimus chose to become death.
(hiding his accent as best he could)


Intimidation/Bluff  17+6 23

I AM K'TESH!! YOU LET ME DIE, DIE LIKE A RAT ON THE STINKING SEA.

I died slowly, begging, not one of you said a word to your gods, none of you whispered a secret prayer or shed a tear.

I have been blessed by Lloth,Queen of Spiders, with the shadows that stride from world to world to sow death and madness on you all!. I HAVE SEEN the edge of the OBLIVION; peered over the rim of the Demonweb Pits, into a fathomless chaos of eternal night! You will fall with me into death. LOOK UPON ME AND DESPAIR!



==========================

Ok guys,  I took a big risk. I'm glad it paid off, and didn't leave me bobbing in the water....
Im hoping that this performance will incite the crew to run. abandon ship and generally be distracted from the idea that we're behind any of this attack
Wooo
Athletics 20
climb 10+6
Intimidation\Bluff 17+6 23[/b]


Last edited by Artimus DeLonde on Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:08 pm; edited 6 times in total
avatar
Artimus DeLonde
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 528
Join date : 2010-08-16
Age : 33
Location : GTA

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
50/61  (50/61)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  DiceMaster on Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:00 pm

The member 'Artimus DeLonde' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 20, 10, 17

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Kellar on Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:19 pm

Hmmm. That's an interesting weapon... Kellar thought, as he looked at the cannon on the deck of the Pistol. He started inspecting it, looking down the barrel of tube on wheels. He looked around and saw some ammunition and he remembered he saw some larger casks back inside the ship.

Kellar dashed downstairs and grabbed a barrel and ran back to the cannon. He hurriedly set the cask down and ripped the lid from it and tossed its contents inside the tube. He grabbed the torch looking thing and forced it down to the end.

With one mighty hand he snagged a cannonball from the stack and pushed it into tube. He could hear a dull metal on metal rub as the ammunition found its resting place on the powder inside. THWOK!

Kellar's head snapped around, and he located the source of the noise, it had to be Custer.

BOOM!

BOOM!

He turned again and saw the destruction erupt over the enemy ship! Shorjahl... SHORJAHL! NEED A LIGHT!

Kellar's feet dug into the deck as he shoved the cannon into place, he stopped and used the mechanism at the back to tilt the tube up toward one of the masts. Orbaugh, hide under my shield! Loud noises! Eeep!

Shorjahl produced a small puff of light at the end of the cannon, then... ssszzz BOOM!
avatar
Kellar
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 485
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Wisconsin

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  DiceMaster on Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:19 pm

The member 'Kellar' has done the following action : Dice Roller

#1 'D20' : 3

--------------------------------

#2 'D20' : 1

--------------------------------

#3 'D10' : 5, 10, 8

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Ao on Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:53 am

The faint *chink* of Custers crossbow fires in tandem with the sonic BOOM of Shorjahl's spell ripping atop the deck of the galleon.

In the dusky sky, upon the rushing river, splinters of wood shower down over the galleon like a hail, as the massive craft keels hard.

Shouts of confusion and terror echo in your ears, another glorious BOOM tearing through another mast.

From the crows nest, Osvald can see the boat pitch and groan under the alarming shift, as two masts come tearing down, ripping sails asunder and crashing into the deck and crushing three men in a bloody mess.

The helmsman falls to the deck. The crewmen shout in panic as the wheel begins to spin wildly.

Dwan's heart catches in his throat as the great galleon turns, pitching four more men over the deck and into the water below.

[dwan needs to maneuver the boat or it will be impacted by the galleon!!]

The third mast is caught in the tumble of the second. The boat pitches again, and the great oak mast comes crashing over the rail and into the water with a splash that soaks the deck, running over the sides like a waterfall.

The last remaining sail is cleated precariously, the wind catching it unevenly and heeling the boat hard to starboard as the wheel spins.

[...]

Artimus emerges on the galleon's deck, soaked from the splash, hobbling along with ghostly fervor.

Only a half-dozen men are still atop the galleon, reeling in the confusion. They shout, pointing at him. The cloaked shadow is panicking, grabbing at the helm.

But the five others shriek in terror as Artimus shambles towards them -

"Sweet gods! This ship! This voyage! It is cursed!"

In utter horror, the five men turn away from the fake drow and begin running across the deck.

*BOOM!!!!!*

A cannon ball sails over their heads, and they shriek again, scattering like rats and diving over the side of the massive ship.

The cloaked shadow curses, casting his hands out towards a line located on the deck below. Fire erupts from his fingertips, scalding the line. It burns through instantly, and suddenly the last remaining sail comes falling down onto the deck of the galleon.

The massive boat groans again, righting itself from the dramatic pitch.... But still careening dangerously quickly towards the rocky shore...

Again, the cloaked shadow whirls, staring into Artimus' eyes.

"You... You don't fool me. You're a bold one. Perhaps your friends will slay me, but you die first."

He extends his hands, fire crackling in his palm...

====================

Ok guys, lay of the land. The galleon is stopped thanks to shorjahls awesome spell. Three of four masts are down, one still remains but the sail was cut down by the last remaining shadow.

It is no longer being crewed, as Artimus scared off all of the lower ranking shadows along with Kellars cannon ball.

The great hulking ship is floating derelict towards the shore at great speed, thanks to its inertia and the roaring river. It will make impact with the rocks in a few minutes, and will likely sink.

One other thing - Should Artimus desire to raise that last sail again, he won't be able to on his own. He needs at least one other person to help him hoist it. And another to man the helm, with two to man the sail.

Artimus is about to receive a fireball to the face, from the last remaining shadow on deck.

Dwan, you must roll a dexterity check. Anything less than a 15 means the heeling galleon cracks across the hull of trois pistoles. That's not a good thing. If you can think of any creative way of improving your chances, I'll give you advantage. You be the judge of if you deserve it.

How are you going to stop this boat from crashing upon the shore, heroes?

Exp: +20 to shorj, cuss, art, kell, Dwan and Artimus

avatar
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 28
Location : ON

Character sheet
Armor Class::
Health:
1/1  (1/1)
Hit Dice::
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Custer Thickett on Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:47 am

Custer huddles in the crowsnest, busy cocking his bow and laying a quarrel in its flight groove.  He listens to the settling of timbers, ropes, and cloth sails along with the thunderous booms of Shorjahl's spells and Kellar's cannon and the splashes of the sails into the river.  The cacophony was dazing, but Custer remained focused and fast, his mind set to the tempo of battle.  He whirled to his knees and brought the loaded bow up to the edge of the nest with this eyes, and there observed the galleon careening from the chaos, its crew scattering, and its captain burning rigging with flames shooting from his hands.  Another mage?

He had little more time to ponder, as the man turned to threaten, Artimus?  Custer brushed the question aside, adjusted for the wind dragging the jig between him and the target, then loosed his bolt.  

[Rolling ranged sneak attack on Shadow Captain. +5]
19


Last edited by Custer Thickett on Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:47 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  DiceMaster on Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:47 am

The member 'Custer Thickett' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 4, 14

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Dwan Bolduum on Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:39 am

Dwan's heart catches in his throat as the great galleon turns, pitching four more men over the deck and into the water below.

Dwan snaps back into focus, Shit! He thinks as he sees the galleon turning toward it's starboard side.  There's no room on the river.  A gap starts to form between the galleon and river on the port side of the Trois Pistoles. Dwan eyes the gap, the Pistoles's trajectory, and the black powder keg near the starboard side. Dwan turns the wheel to port as a plan forms in his head.

By Moradin's Beard we might have a chance! Kellar! Take one of those torches and stick it into that barrel there, he points towards the black powder keg on the starboard side of deck. Not lit mind you! On my count I want you to roll that barrel off the side and immediately take cover.

Dwan recalls inspecting the ship prior to disembarking that there is a cannon below deck as well. Now were those wick's 3 counts? Well only one way to find out.

Once Dwan sees that Kellar is in position he calls out, Ready? On confirmation Dwan casts an instance of Druidcraft in where he hopes is the wick of the starboard cannon.

1...

NOW! Dwan shouts at Kellar.

2...

3
 Dwan casts another instance of Druidcraft on the torch of the fallen barrel and turns the wheel hard to starboard.  

Two consecutive BOOMs resound from the side of the Pistoles, the second explosion exponentially louder. A wave of concussive force sends sends boards flying flying from the side of the Trois Pistoles (definitely doing damage) and pushes the ship towards port side.

***DEX CHECK***
19 with advantage!

Dwan laughs like a madman and grins furiously as the maneuver pays off. The Trois Pistoles puts the galleon on it's starboard side, narrowly fitting between the rocky shore and the galleon.

========================================

TLDR: Dwan nearly blows up the ship to successfully avoid a collision with the galleon!


Last edited by Dwan Bolduum on Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Gonna need new pants after that one.)
avatar
Dwan Bolduum
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 224
Join date : 2015-01-29

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 14
Health:
57/57  (57/57)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  DiceMaster on Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:39 am

The member 'Dwan Bolduum' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 19, 7

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Osvald Hale on Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:16 am

Osvald sputtered grumbling curses from his perch on the troops pistols, his friends were too damn dangerous.

Every time he slung around the mast to take a shot, another concussive impact swept over the vessel, bucking it wildly and showering the teetering ranger with hundreds of splinters and larger chucks of shrapnel. Tiny cuts had blossomed red along his exposed hand and shoulder that protruded slightly from his cover behind the mast.

But, for all his grief, the attack this far had been wildly successful...

Osvald senses the incandescent light of arcane fire, smells sailcloth burning, and cautiously peeks his head around the mast.

Spying his target at the end of a furious spout of flame, Osvald mystically marks him for death.

The huntsman dips another of Kellars modified arrows into the lantern, and in the breath between the bucking of the ship upon the current, he looses his arrow--it impacts into target squarely with a concussive crack but before Osvald spies if the man is still standing, He spots something tumble off the side of the Trois Pistoles, an--CRACK

=====

okay, Osvald was forced to remain in cover by the damage being thrown around at the other ship, transferred hunters mark to the magic user on the galleon, and firing an arrow off with advantage.

He'd like to try and help Artimus but the Trios Pistoles is now maneuvering away thanks to Dwans buck-wild tactics.
awesome posts so far guys!


Last edited by Osvald Hale on Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Osvald Hale
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 268
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Toronto, Canada

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
41/41  (41/41)
Hit Dice::
4/4  (4/4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  DiceMaster on Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:16 am

The member 'Osvald Hale' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 12, 11

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Custer Thickett on Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:06 pm

Custer smiles as he watches Osvald's heavy arrow make it's mark, "Oiy, that was a goo..."

Suddenly, the ship jolts in the concussion of a close blast, and the crows nest throws Cuss. Feeling his feet leave the wood floor, he reaches for the edge of the nest as he rotates in the air. He manages to catch it with one hand, which careens him into the outside of the nest with a soft thud. The crossbow in his other hand slips, but he catches the shoulder strap between his fingers.

"Shot." Cuss finishes his thought aloud, then starts stretching his legs for the shroud, trying to hook his feet in the rope.
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum