Chapter Two

Page 14 of 16 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Osvald Hale on Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:20 pm

Osvald dismisses the thanks of the Sailor.

"Let's live through this and you can thank me with a bottle of that wine."

He says before plunging into the water.

...

Dagger in his teeth, Osvald hoists himself up the sea-weathered stern of the ship, through the port-hole, and into the dark interior of the vessel.

Dropping into the shadows beside DeLonde, he scans the interior. (Perception Check, 1, Fail.)

Skulking, the ranger moves through the hold in the shadows, briny water puddling behind him as he pads around softly.

His focused stealth is broken by a sudden quip from Artimus:

"I beleieve itz time we zwab the deck, non?"

With a sigh Osvald stands, but can't help but grin: Maybe this sailor wouldn't be such bad company after all. Dropping the dagger from his mouth, catching it in his open left hand and sliding it back into it's sheath at his belt. Osvald pulls a loose end of cloth knotted beside his partially severed ear, freeing the arrows tied into in his quiver, and takes up his bow.

"Lead the way."

...

Osvald will stop part way up the stairs, remaining in partial cover in the hold below. When he has his first chance to loose an arrow at the nearest enemy he'll take the shot...

The arrow tears a path through the air, dropping the brigand instantly.

=====

Perception on the interior failed (RPing it as Artimus distracting.)

16 + 8 = 24 to hit against foe.


Last edited by Osvald Hale on Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
Osvald Hale
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 268
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Toronto, Canada

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
41/41  (41/41)
Hit Dice::
4/4  (4/4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  DiceMaster on Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:20 pm

The member 'Osvald Hale' has done the following action : Dice Roller

#1 'D20' : 1

--------------------------------

#2 'D20' : 16

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Kellar on Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:58 pm

Kellar sees Cuss remove the larger crossbow from his back and steady his aim at one of the would-be pirates on board Artimus's ship. TWOK! as the bolt flew from the crossbow. Kellar took that as his chance to run forward with his javelin and find a faux-pirate standing near the side...

With great strides that changed to a sideways trot and eventual plant and toss of the javelin, Kellar released the javelin toward his target! The chain unraveled from the pouch under his belt. He listened for the eventual stick of javelin through flesh, before he snapped the chain and yanked the faux-pirate overboard!

The sound Kellar was listening for never happened...

He looked at the deck of the ship and the faux-pirates were discombobulated from the blast from the new Dwarf, Dwan. Kellar's javelin sailed harmlessly over the head of the faux-pirate he was targeting. With a yank on the chain, the javelin stopped its flight and came back toward Kellar.

He picked up his stride again and moved down the dock alongside the ship, closing in on the gangplank Dwan mentioned earlier. Every few steps he pulled on the chain attached to the javelin, and Orbaugh busied himself near the chain pouch, feeding the chain back in with his tiny clawed hands. Thank you, Orbaugh. This wet! Don't stink now.

Actions:

Kellar missed his javelin toss at one of the faux-pirates and moved closer to the Pistol, converging on the gangplank.


Last edited by Kellar on Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Rollz n no Actionz)
avatar
Kellar
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 485
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Wisconsin

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  DiceMaster on Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:58 pm

The member 'Kellar' has done the following action : Dice Roller

#1 'D20' : 5

--------------------------------

#2 'D6' : 3

--------------------------------

#3 'D20' : 16

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Artimus DeLonde on Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:28 pm

a fatal flight met it's mark as a knife to it's point.

The Ranger's shot had killed the man,

Hale himself was gone. Hidden in the breach of the stair. Like he had never been there. The only man that had seen him was dead.

avatar
Artimus DeLonde
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 528
Join date : 2010-08-16
Age : 33
Location : GTA

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
50/61  (50/61)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Ao on Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:34 am

As Artimus utters his one-liners from the cabin, a thunderous blast rips across the deck of Trois Pistoles, sending the boom swinging across the deck, rigging and sheets trailing, as four ruffians go tearing through the air.

[Saves vs Dwan’s thunderblast are all failed Sad ]

They go reeling out over the deck rail, cracking limbs off of the wooden guard and tearing splinters out into Lake Esmel with them.

The bolts and arrows from Osvald and Custer drop their charges, as captain DeLonde kicks a ruffian over the side.

Kellar and Shorjahl charge the boat.

[…]

[Ruffians, morale check… failed]

Three of the brigands still stand on deck, staring at the rampaging Kellar. They swoon watching as their allies fall into the sea, and die wordlessly with arrows torn through their vitals.

“Oh holy shitbird!” screams one, deafeningly, throwing his arms up in the air. The other two stare at him, and then at the party. One of them turns tail and runs, jumping over the siderail into the frigid water below.

Bottles and broken lanterns and crates litter the deck. The sails flap aimlessly in irons, the rigging blowing back and forth. Four good bottles of Sembian wine roll about, bumping precariously against the starboard rail.

The combat is over before it even started, the would-be looters standing in the same way that men would with pants around their ankles.

Kellar arrives on the deck, trailing after the dwarf. It seems that the threat aboard Trois Pistoles is done, now.

But in the distance, the four-master’s sails are filled with wind, and it begins keeling as tears through the harbour, arrows flying to and fro as it crashes past the dock ward….

======================

Ok guys, 2 ruffians still remain on deck. They have surrendered.

An impressive round of combat, lol. You guys utterly destroyed them.

But there are bigger fish to fry. The four-master is sailing on through the harbour…

Let me know what your plan is, and how you’re dealing with the 2 ruffians left aboard.

EXP: +30 for full party post, and +100 each for subduing the combat.
avatar
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 28
Location : ON

Character sheet
Armor Class::
Health:
1/1  (1/1)
Hit Dice::
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Custer Thickett on Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:31 am

Custer starts up the gangplank after Kellar, but seeing that things were under control on deck, he pivots on his heels and heads back onto the dock.  He turns for the post where the ship was tied off, and lays his crossbows next to it.  He loosens the knot and unspools the rope.  Once free, he loops it in expert fashion, and tosses it up on the ship.  "Come on, fellas!  We can't let em get too far ahead!"  He then retrieves his bows and dashes to the other end, doing the same where it is tied off there.  

Dashing back to the gang plank, he makes it up and on the deck just before the board falls loose.  He drops to his knees as he spins, laying his loaded bows down, and catching the end of the plank before it slid off the ship all the way into the water.  It is much heavier than he expected, and he begins sliding off the deck along with it.  "Ah!  Help!"
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Shorjahl on Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:40 pm

Shorjahl glares at the two ruffians still aboard the Trois Pistoles. His cold azure eyes simmer menacingly, and heat and vibrations pour off of him and emanate from his bracer. "Go for a swim," is all he says, his voice magically amplified and modified to sound even more threatening.

As Cuss struggles to lift the plank, the arcanist quickly grabs it from the other side and helps the hin pull it aboard the ship. He looks to his smaller companion to ensure he's alright, then returns to the farthest point on the ship's prow. "Bring me to within forty paces of that ship, and I can disable it..." he turns to look back at the ship manned by the Shadows, "...probably," he mutters to himself.

-----------------------------------------------

Intimidate with advantage (I'm a scary mage yo, roll with it) to make the other guys leave: 17
Once we're within 120' I can start magic missiling the enemy ship, and since it never misses I want to try to hit rudders, masts, anything that will make the ship unable to move.


Last edited by Shorjahl on Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Shorjahl
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 227
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 12
Health:
24/24  (24/24)
Hit Dice::
4/4  (4/4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  DiceMaster on Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:40 pm

The member 'Shorjahl' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 3, 17

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Kellar on Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:33 pm

Kellar arrives on board the ship and hears Shorjahl's voice boom across the deck toward two remaining faux-pirates.

He turned to them, I'd listen if I were you. Kellar nods toward the side of the ship, pointing them to their destination. Intimidation Check= 18+2= 20

After the last two jump over the side, Kellar looks for extra weapons. (Need some artimus help here for what kind of weapons or gear cavaliers use to board another ship).

Artimus, do you have any extra weapons, like spears, hooks, axes, that sort of thing, he questioned while looking around the deck of the ship.

Orbaugh, climb up the rope here and see what you can see. Orbaugh climb! Help Master! Fish? Kellar wondered for a moment... You're hungry for fish? In Kellar's mind he felt a soft hum and purr. Yes! Like much!

Actions:

Kellar will point the faux-pirates in the right direction and look for ranged weapons.


Last edited by Kellar on Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Rollz n Actionz)
avatar
Kellar
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 485
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Wisconsin

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  DiceMaster on Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:33 pm

The member 'Kellar' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 18

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Osvald Hale on Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:25 pm

Hearing Shorjahl's voice boom loudly above, Osvald throws his longbow over his shoulder and vaults up the rest of the stairs to the deck.

Cuss and Shorjahl drag the plank aboard, and it lands heavily and the ship slowly drifts from the dock.

Osvald glances beyond the prow and sees the Galleon in nearly ready to drop sail and leave the harbour. Cursing, he rushes to the rigging and begins climbing, calling down to Shorjahl who has taken a stand at the very front of the Trois Pistoles.

"Shorjahl! I'll keep you covered best I can!" he cries out as he reaches the main top.

Osvald uses the point of his dagger to wedge open the thick knot lashing the stowed main sail to the yard while the ship is kept in port. When it's loose enough, he begins to hastily saw through the damp cordage. In a few moments the main sail unfurls with a deep flutter.

"Cuss! Grab that loose line!" He yells down, pointing with his dagger at the falling, swinging free end of the rope he just severed before sheathing his blade and turning to ascend the mast itself toward the top sail.

Already, the ship was beginning to buck forward beneath him, but Osvald trusted the mariner DeLonde would get the ship under control... Or he hoped, at least.

The swaying amplified by the distance from the ship bobbing beneath him, Osvald ascended his way to the main topmast, and threw his leg over the yard to straddle it like a horse. Freeing his hands while he worked free the two knots holding the sail closed.

Taking a moment to glance over the harbour between breaths, he surveys the departing Four Master ship. (Perception check with advantage from height--looking for how many men and who is in charge.)

Cursing again, he takes hold of the slack main mast rigging and loops it once around his forearm, swinging his leg back from the yard and pushing off the mast, rappelling down. His own body acts as a counter weight and the top-sail partially unfurls as he descends, but the balance is all wrong and Osvald hears the rope scream as it feeds through its moorings too quickly! He plummets down to the main top and lands on his side with a loud thuds.

"Augh... You never were a sailor, Osvald." He grunts to himself as he takes a knee, and looks down to the party scurrying hurriedly on the deck below.

(Here he calls down to the party what he has seen on the other ship.)

Wedging his body against the mast, Osvald takes up his bow and prepares to fire on the other vessel when in range.

'Here goes nothing.' He thinks, baffled yet again how drastic a turn his quiet life of drinking and hunting has taken. The sea air in his face, Osvald readies himself for battle.

=====

Osvald has freed the sails but it was a hasty job, and they won't do much good until Artimus and the others can set them properly from below.

perception check on the big ship ahead. 18+ 4 = 22

Taking up position on the Main top/Fighting top/lower crows nest/the platform between the two sails, whatever you want to call it, to give supporting fire for the boarding action.

From the pics Arty posted I will assume this position is ~40 feet above the deck, some of my shots might be at range disadvantage... so Osvald will focus his fire first at anyone directly attacking us, and secondly at any enemy who is actively working in the rigging of the enemy ship to get it moving.

OOC: I am so excited for this fight, you have no idea!


Last edited by Osvald Hale on Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Osvald Hale
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 268
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Toronto, Canada

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
41/41  (41/41)
Hit Dice::
4/4  (4/4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  DiceMaster on Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:25 pm

The member 'Osvald Hale' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 8

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Osvald Hale on Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:26 pm

Forgot my second d20 from advantage
avatar
Osvald Hale
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 268
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Toronto, Canada

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
41/41  (41/41)
Hit Dice::
4/4  (4/4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  DiceMaster on Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:26 pm

The member 'Osvald Hale' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 18

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Custer Thickett on Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:56 pm

Custer stretches his back and sighs, "Thank ya, Shorjy. It was gonna pull me in." Cuss retrieves his bows and heads for the gunwhale behind Shorjahl. He points to the bowsprit, "Doan just stand there, loosen the jib, yeah?" Cuss looks up the forestay, and spots the rope and pully for the halyard. He drops his pack in the center of the gunwhale and carefully sets his loaded bows atop it. He then runs back down the deck and loosens the rope where it is tied to the mast, calling up to Shorjahl. "Faster, man! Faster! We need the staysail for tacking out into the harbor, yeah?" As soon as Shorjahl has the lateen sail untied, Cuss pulls and runs with the halyard, raising the jib high and flapping in the wind. He ties it off and then grabs up at the foot of the jib, following the bottom of the staysail to the clew, and then pulling it against the wind until the sail pulls taught. The force of the wind lifts him from the deck and nearly throws him into the water as the ship lurches forward into the harbor. "Whoa!" He claws at the mast with is left hand, fighting with the jib sheet in his right. "Somebody help me tie it off, yeah? Oiy, this hurts!"
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Shorjahl on Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:00 pm

Shorjahl absentmindedly reaches out with his bracered hand, using gusts of arcane energy to press down on the sail and rope that lifted Cuss up above the deck. "Artimus, do you think we can gain on it?!" He shouts over the din of battle in the city and the crash of the tumultuous sea in the dock.
avatar
Shorjahl
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 227
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 12
Health:
24/24  (24/24)
Hit Dice::
4/4  (4/4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Custer Thickett on Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:50 pm

Cuss's strain turns to a smile as the clew nears the mast and he is provided with enough slack to tie off the jib sheet. "Nevermind, me thinks I gots it afterall!" Finished, he again stretches and pops his back as he looks up at the tight staysail pulling the ship into the harbor. Getting stronger, Cuss. Getting stronger.

He then looks back to see if Kellar and the others need help tying off the main sail. If not, he heads back to the gunwhale and retrieves his gear to stow below deck. He comes back topside with two of his hand crossbows, his father's light crossbow, and a loop of rope fitted with his grappling hook. "Captain, shall I tie this off on the bowsprit and try to hook the Galleon?"

============

Once Pistoles is full sail, Cuss will defer to Artimus for orders.
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Artimus DeLonde on Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:04 am

The Captain reunited with his ship, breathed a sigh of relief with the vessel out of peril.

There was a flurry of activity as the novice crew stepped too with some haste. Their hearts were in the right place even if the riggings weren't quite sound.

Seeing the makeshift crew step too Artimus reflexively started narrating the dance of the ship in the form of orders to set the ship to full sail. As the mainsail shot up Lord Hale plummeted down in a less than graceful collision with the ground.

“Not the worzt work I've zeen Mazter Hale, We'll make a Zailor of you yet!”

“Roland~!”
Artimus called up to the sky.

Captain?  A voice answered from up in the crow’s nest.  "Are they gone?"

“Yez Roland….zhey're gone, where iz firzt officer Zavoie and Bertrand?”

“Uhh, well you know the Lieutenant Sir, he was giving them a what for but Bertrand got himself beneath one of their blades... Savoy surrendered, he went below with Bertrand... cursing up something foul and I...”

"You hid?" Artimus interrupted

"Aye Capt'n I hid"

"Roland zheze are our new friendz.
Zhere'z zhe blue ztrongman Kellar. The mouzhy quick one, zhat'z Cuzter Zhickett. Zhere'z zhe zhape zhifting dwarf Dwan. Zhe hooded Ranger who looks like an anxiouz ferrett gnawed at his head while he zlept, Lord Osvald, who rivalz your eyez... and zhe quiet one. Zhorjahl I zhink who I am juzt now dizcovering iz not to be trifled wizh. You zee zhat four mazter... zhe zhip of zhe line zhere.... we're going to catch it.  Help zheze fine men rig zhe zhip.  I'll get prizonerz."


Everyone zhiz iz crewman Roland, he'z a one legged zcamp and a devil of a look out. He knowz thesze waterwayz better than a Ezmelteranian whore knowz lize.

As Artimus spoke he helped Custer secure the preventer line of the Jib.
“Indeed if you can make zhe zhot tie it off, if zhingz get hairy we can cut zhe line. Good Cut Zhickett!  The Mariner remarked, impressed at the cut of Custer's Jib rigging.

Artimus turned to Shorjahl who looked sternly out into the harbor.
 … yez if zhere'z any zhip zhat can catch up, it’z zhiz one... “

“And remember Mon Amie...A cœur vaillant rien impozzible!”

To Kellar,

Aye Kellar, hmmm I believe zhere'z zhree harpoonz in zhe armory... zhey're antiquez but zhey hold no zentiment.  You’ll find zome large fizhing jigz and more rope zhan you could ever need. Black powder, zome half and half bladez and perhapz a hand axe or two. Make uze of anyzhing you can find Mon Bleu Dragoon.

Zhe lieutenant knowz better zhan I...

Artimus disappeared below deck to find his Crew, prayed silently that they men were more concerned with the wine than with his hurting his shipmates.

Roland
----------
[/font][/color][/size]


Last edited by Artimus DeLonde on Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Artimus DeLonde
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 528
Join date : 2010-08-16
Age : 33
Location : GTA

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
50/61  (50/61)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Ao on Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:47 am

The sails are flapping hard as Trois Pistoles floats away from the dock, in irons*

[*for you non-nautical folks, irons is when you point your boat directly into the wind, so that the sails cannot catch it, and you do not move]

The gangplank secured, the ragtag group looks out over the port and sees that the docks have been overtaken by militiamen. Horses charge through the streets, the war-wagon running down thieves as the disorganized looters scatter like so many ants.

Off on the western side of the dock, you can see Pelegar’s group fighting their way aboard a schooner. It looks like they mean to pursue the galleon.

But the four-master is well underway.

It’s sails are full, puffed out like the chest of a nobleman. And it is moving.

The waves are cut beneath its’ bow, and it tears towards the harbour mouth where an old wooden lighthouse gives berth to a half-mile wide channel, leading out from Lake Esmel up into the river.

Gulls swoop overhead, the sun beating down upon the deck of Trois Pistoles as Artimus emerges from the cabin with another crewman, and another irate Cormyrian…who you assume is ‘First Officer Savoie’ by his swagger alone.

“And who are zese dogs!?” he cries out, looking astonished across the deck.

[…]

Osvald stares at the four-master from his vantage point [perception].

He can see that the galleon is approximately 1500 feet away, and gaining open water quickly. From this distance, he can see two dozen men milling about the deck, manning the sails and toiling about.

A tall, cloaked man stands alongside a navigator at the helm. Osvald cannot be certain, but this appears to be the commanding officer of these Shadow Thieves.

=====================

Ok guys, so you’re getting oriented on the Trois Pistoles here.

The galleon is about 1500 feet away, and moving quickly.

Here’s the deal, Artimus, you know that Trois Pistoles, with a good clip of wind (like the one you’ve got going right now) can move about 700 feet per minute (or, about 8 knots per hour).

The Galleon is a bigger boat, and slower to gain speed. Without getting complex and mathematical about it, it will reach 8 knots in about 3 post rotations…which means if you haven’t caught up to it by then, you’ll be chasing it out up the river, onto open water… Not necessarily a deal-breaker, but further away from the assistance of Pelegar and his men, once they get their affairs in order on their schooner.

So, here’s how we’re going to cut it, lads. I need you guys to each select and roll for a ‘duty’ to help get the boat up to speed (but, don’t roll for the crew, Artimus. Let’s assume they’re taking care of some other, abstracted tasks)

———JOBS:

Mates are getting the ship prepared for confrontation! This is a highly variable role, in which you’ll describe how you’re prepping the ship and make an appropriate check.

Captain is commanding and co-ordinating everyone, and informing the helmsman about the ‘line'. Roll a CHA check (with advantage if its Artimus, for being the actual captain of this ship).
a. Less than 10: Well behind the galleon, undershot it by a considerable sum.
b. 10+: Catching the galleon just at the rear
c. 15+: Meeting the galleon at its’ bow
d. 20+: Meeting the galleon at its’ bow, with enough leeway to comfortably maneuver Trois Pistoles alongside it.

A Lookout - Is watching for wreckage or other stuff in the water. Need a perception check on this one. Any result of 15+ confers advantage to the helmsman (you may make the 2nd roll for the helmsman, if he has already posted.

The Helmsman is manning the helm, and steering the boat. Go with an WIS check on this one, to chart an appropriate sail trim. There is only 1 helmsman
Less than 10: Slow start
10+: Up to half speed
15+: Up to full 8 knot cruising speed
20+ Caught a real rip of wind! Great speed

avatar
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 28
Location : ON

Character sheet
Armor Class::
Health:
1/1  (1/1)
Hit Dice::
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Kellar on Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:40 am

Kellar listened to Artimus as best he could, he picked out ...harpoons, half blades, black powder, hand axes, rope. I guess that's plenty to get prepped, he muttered as he went about the ship, collecting harpoons and hand axes first. (Kellar will assume the role of Mate).

Kellar lined up harpoons from a central point on the Pistol so he could easily reach them and throw with careless fervor. He then took the few hand axes and half blades he found and placed them at what he felt were common points of the ship, along the rails. Always a weapon within reach...

Kellar lugged some rope toward the center of the deck and started making making sections of rope about four inches long, and each section was severely frayed and then twisted to make a wick. Orbaugh, find me a lamp, bring it here. Okay! It bright, right? Yes it is, be quick, and I'll get some fish when we're done! With that Orbaugh scampered off through a door while Kellar finished out eight wicks.

Orbaugh, snag some parchment if there is any too! Kellar could feel the, what could only be assumed as an eye roll, from Orbaugh. Okay, I bring! Hmm. Fish. Kellar laid down two harpoons on the deck next to his work area and waited for Orbaugh.

Within a few moments, Orbaugh returned with lantern he was dragging from his maw, and a piece of parchment stuck to his tail...

Kellar couldn't help but chuckle at the little dragon work at accomplishing his task to aid his master!

He then turned to Lord Hale and said, "Hale, give me six arrows. You may want to have a tinder box or lamp near you that's lit..."

Shoot... need line. Kellar left to find the fishing tackle, and removed the reel from the rod. Oh yeah, need black powder too, he said to himself. He found it and brought it back to the deck, and set it down carefully next to the parchment and Orbaugh. He roughly measured out eight sections that he could roll up, with a flap at the top, and a sealed bottom. He made the sections and then placed each wick he made, in the oil from the lantern Orbaugh brought to him, and then laid each wick inside the parchment tubes, with a three inch end sticking out loosely.

Now the tricky part, he said quietly. He took the horn of black powder and filled the parchment tubes about three-fourths of the way to the top. He then took the fishing line and began wrapping the top flap down on the tube and then started running line over the side of the tube and the shaft of the arrows he received from Lord Hale. Kellar quickly but carefully finished out the remaining arrows and brought them to Lord Hale and said, okay, you'll want to be careful with these, see this, he asked as he pointed at the wick on the sides of the arrows. Those are wicks, and inside those are black powder, he said with a grin. Just light them and fire them from your bow, the wicks are soaked in oil so they'll fly with a flame sure enough, he continued.

There wasn't enough powder for the harpoons, but I think I can manage enough, he said to Osvald as he laughed and nodded at all the harpoons at the center of the Pistol. Dexterity Roll= 2+3= 5 OOC: figured because of the roll, only had enough powder to make the arrows, and not the harpoons.

Actions:

Kellar found black powder, OH MY!
Kellar will use his knowledge as a soldier and dragon hunter to layout the ship to have the most weapons available at hand. If Lord Hale is able to donate six arrows, he'll get them back with a modest upgrade, it'll be AO who determines what their new damage might be!  Intelligence Check= 16+1= 17
Hauling weapons, rope, making stuff, etc. Athletics Roll= 14+7= 21


Last edited by Kellar on Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:49 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Rollz n Actionz, and I R Gud @ Math...)
avatar
Kellar
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 485
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Wisconsin

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  DiceMaster on Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:40 am

The member 'Kellar' has done the following action : Dice Roller

#1 'D20' : 16

--------------------------------

#2 'D20' : 2

--------------------------------

#3 'D20' : 14

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Osvald Hale on Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:54 am

With a consternated grumble, Osvald passes 6 arrows to Orbaugh who rapidly scampers away with them back down the rigging.

...

When the PseudoDragon returns clutching the modified arrows in his clawed hand Osvalds grin blooms into a wide, wide smile.

'Gods be good, blue man!' He thought happily, patting Orbaugh on his scaly head.

"Tell your master I owe him a drink of the strong stuff." He chuckles.

Turning his eyes back to the departing Galleon and the path ahead, The ranger takes up the role of Lookout.

The harbour is littered with debris from the sacking and subsequent looting of the city, Osvalds keen eyes peel the path ahead.
avatar
Osvald Hale
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 268
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Toronto, Canada

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
41/41  (41/41)
Hit Dice::
4/4  (4/4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Dwan Bolduum on Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:31 am

==Once the battle is over==

Dwan looks about the ship where once ten men stood he now sees bodies laying on deck and cracks in the railing where men flew overboard. Maybe they survived, at least two of them were smart enough to surrender.

We are an efficient bunch, Dwan declares with a smile on his face as he pulls the cloth out of his ears. Now how are we going to stop the other ship?

As if on queue Artimus springs into action and starts giving orders to get the ship prepared to leave the dock. As everyone is darting around getting different tasks done Dwan can't help to notice that he is standing by idly. First time on a ship of this size, try not to embarrass yourself.  

Dwan looks up as he hears the canvas flapping in the wind, he looks to the galleon and sees that it is quickly gaining distance on the Trois Pistoles.

Batten your britches, boys, its time to get this chase underway! Dwan shouts across the deck as he runs to the helm.

Its just like my old fishing dingy... I hope.

***rolling WIS for Helm***
4 + 3 = 7
Slow start

=======================================

Dwan takes the Helm and is focusing on getting some wind in the sails so that the ship can start moving.
OOC:He has a decent Wisdom modifier but these rolls!


Last edited by Dwan Bolduum on Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:35 am; edited 2 times in total
avatar
Dwan Bolduum
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 224
Join date : 2015-01-29

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 14
Health:
57/57  (57/57)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  DiceMaster on Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:31 am

The member 'Dwan Bolduum' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 4

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Custer Thickett on Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:31 pm

And who are zese dogs!?

Cuss cuts his stare to Dwan, The dog... Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit.  Cuss reaches up to scratch his head, but ends up bumping himself with the crossbow in his hand.  Ouch!  "Dag nabbit!"  He reels from the blow and then turns away from the group, marching to the bow in frustration.  

Cuss sets the crossbow on the ground and busies himself tying off the end of his rope fixed with a grappling hook to the bowsprit, all while intelligibly mumbling to himself.  This rotted rat trap better get within 50 feet of it for me to have a chance to hook on.  Cuss looks up across the water at the Galleon, and then turns his head to look up at the jib flapping in the wind.  I had the damn thing set, what in the hells.  He levels his stare at Dwan again, sawing at the helm, fighting to catch the wind.  Custer shakes his head in frustration, and turns his attention to Kellar, who was busy spreading weapons around the deck.  Golden Lady, please doan let them Shadows be jumping down on our deck, lest they'll kill us with our own blades.

Cuss observes the smoldering city behind the ship, I'm sorry I failed ya yesterday, Esmeltaran.  I hopes ya find a better place in ya next lives, with people more fit ta protect ya than me and mine.  Cuss snorts a short sob, and wipes away a tear with his hand freed of the coiled rope he had laid in the center of the gunwhale.  For the first time in two days, he heard Agata speak to him.  'You did better than most, love.  This is no time for remorse.  Waukeen needs you.  I need you.'  Cuss turns back to the harbor mouth, tears freely flowing down his cheeks.  Thank ya, me little kitten.  Thank ya.  

Cuss licks a finger and sticks it up into the wind, feeling one side start to numb, marking the direction of the wind.  He pivots his head and yells back to Dwan.  "Helm!  Turn port, intah the wind.  The lateen staysail will catch these irons."  When he feels the ship start to slide starboard, he turns to face the stern and cups his hand over his mouth to carry his voice, "The other way, ya dirty daft dog!"  For a dog, he can't hear worth a copper coin.

==============

Cuss mixed a little mate into his post, but is rolling the lookout role to help Dwan catch the wind.  My mod sucks, so here goes nothing. +1
8


Last edited by Custer Thickett on Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  DiceMaster on Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:31 pm

The member 'Custer Thickett' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 7

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

the Slipfin and the Whale

Post  Artimus DeLonde on Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:57 pm

Artimus slipped away to his cabin retrieving  the half amulet from its secret appointment and his best captaining hat.

and what a hat it was. **Describe hat** (whoever describes the hat best wins!)

The Mariner returned to the deck in fine form, drawing a full measure of breath he called out to the crew.

Alright men, we take to open waterz az zlipfin chazing a whale, we will be fazt, we will be fierce and we will win.  Bellement et hardiment!

Prepare to maneuver a wide ztarboard tacking,  Come about, zet heading 35 degreez norzh by norzh eazt. We'll 'beat' 'cloze reached', make zhe zwing in a zingle turn.

We're blezzed by terrain and agility, zhe channel iz more zhan wide enough. But we muzt overtake zhem before zhey hit zheir full pace.


Lieutenant, zee zhe all zhiz gear iz ztowed zmartly, we have little time before zhiz getz rough.

Kellar will need into our armoury, make anyzhing ready he needz.


Artimus stood aside Dwan as he took the helm. The Dwarf moved with confidence gripping the aged dark stained wheel. The first turns were steady but he quickly went awry turning far past the true heading.

The Captain heard Custer's voice over the wind adivising course. The halfling was not wrong and Artmius notes his knowhow, with a still smile. Custer'svoice was less grating each time he heard it...


Belay that,he responded.We will have zhem!


The ship leached starboard, sails straining under the air. Easy Master Dwarf, zlow handz are better, I will zay ‘mark’ az you've reached the mark, now turn port zoftly.
================================================================

Artimus Studies they’re progress and the pinnacle to determine the optimal place to cut in.
1d20+1+4 Navigation = 15 (pass)!
Captain-ing 1d20 +2+4 x2 = 22  Meeting the galleon at its’ bow with comfort to pull alongside!!


Last edited by Artimus DeLonde on Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:51 pm; edited 12 times in total
avatar
Artimus DeLonde
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 528
Join date : 2010-08-16
Age : 33
Location : GTA

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
50/61  (50/61)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  DiceMaster on Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:57 pm

The member 'Artimus DeLonde' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 10, 10, 16

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Shorjahl on Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:01 pm

Shorjahl sees the galleon in the distance, his hooded brows furrowing together grimly. His bearded jaw clenches and he turns to look at the spectacle behind him, the others busying themselves on the deck, this new Captain ordering some hidden crewmen around the ship. The arcanist strained his head to the shoulder, cracking his neck loudly. With a quick, ardent stride, he paced toward the back of the vessel, absentmindedly moving out of the way of the commotion atop the swaying deck.

So many lives lost, and so much damage. The crashing tide of guilt threatened to swallow him into darkness again, bolstered and strengthened by the dark whispers at the bottom of his pack. No. He clenched his fists and popped his neck again, he wouldn't have another loss today. He turned his back on the city, and looked up at the flapping sails as they finally caught the wind. Artimus, as annoying and daft as he was, knew how to pilot a ship.

Shorjahl smiled grimly, "Let's give this bucket a shove. Captain," the title was tinged with sarcasm, "Prepare for a strong forward gust!" The arcanist closed his eyes, and raised both hands to shoulder height, palms out. His leather traveling gear and knee-length robe began flapping furiously away from him, as the bracer began to glow and chime in a low, steady, tranquil pace. With a slight shove forward, all of Shorjahl's muscles tensed, his fingers popped, and his bracer's pitch lowered in timber - sending reverberations throughout the wooden deck.

A sudden, strong wind began pulsing from the arcanist's hands, straight into the center of the sails. He remained locked in this position, urging as much force forward, drawing upon the deep well of energy of the world, and channeling into the ship's speed. All that was at the back of his mind was that he wouldn't fail again.

------------------------------------------

Gust of Wind Spell: can hold with concentration up to 1 minute. It produces a strong, steady, line of wind (60' by 10') that can be angled however I'd like, as long as it is emanating from me. Shorjahl will place it the most efficient direction for movement on the sails, probably with a bit of trial and error. It produces a wind strong enough to knock things down, push people, etc - so arguably stronger than natural wind. Bam suckas.
avatar
Shorjahl
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 227
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 12
Health:
24/24  (24/24)
Hit Dice::
4/4  (4/4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Osvald Hale on Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:28 pm

As Orbaugh skitters away to help Kellar with the preparations, Osvald calls after him to return with a lit lantern.

.....

Lantern in hand, Osvald hooks it's carrying handle into a knot of rope at chest height for easy access during the battle.

Feeling the boat lurch sideways beneath him, he turns his attention back to the Galleon. Dwan had overturned, but Cuss and Artimus were already yelling out corrections for him.

Shielding his eyes with his hand, Osvald grips a line with his other hand and leans out, scanning the water way.

Perception 6+4. = 10

The harbour was a mess of debris, and though none posed a significant threat to he ship, Osvald spied no clear path through.

=====

No adv. for  Helmsman, bummer.


Last edited by Osvald Hale on Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
Osvald Hale
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 268
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Toronto, Canada

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
41/41  (41/41)
Hit Dice::
4/4  (4/4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  DiceMaster on Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:28 pm

The member 'Osvald Hale' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 5, 6

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Custer Thickett on Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:26 pm

Custer stumbles to spread his feet apart to brace himself against the sudden lurch of the boat from Shorjahl's efforts.  Cuss whoops a holler, "Yeah!  Ya slicker than snot on a brass buckler, yeah?!"  

Cuss looks towards the Galleon.  Realizing that they would soon be in range for volleys of arrows, Cuss turns back toward the crew.  He calls out, "Wait!  Doan throw the empty crates overboard!  We can use em for some cover, no?  Least, I will be."  Custer lays down his bows inside the coil of rope on the gunwhale, and heads back down the deck to gather a couple of crates to stack in front of his position, hoping they will offer him some protection.  Once satisfied with their placement, he busies himself loading all three of his crossbows and laying them inside one of the sideways turned crates.  

==============

Cuss will take up position at the bow on the gunwhale(forecastle) behind a stack of crates emptied of wine by the thugs.
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Ao on Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:49 pm

Weapons and munitions pitch about the sides of the ship precariously, as Trois Pistoles cuts into the wind.

Dwan slides around at the helm, the turgid waves crashing upon the bow and swinging the boom around. Even at Artimus’ theatrical conducting, the tiller is stubborn and the ticklers upon the sails dance flippantly.

[Custer & Osvald, *lookout* results]

The huntsman looks out over lake Esmel with a sparrow’s eye, but the roiling of the water and the glare of the sun catches him unawares. Below, Custer narrowly avoids a mishap with the jib, as the boat inadvertantly tacks on a bad wave.

All the while, the Galleon’s sails blow ahead, taunting the fellowship with its wide stern as it hauls through the water, nearing the harbour mouth…

[…]

[Artimus, navigation & Captaining]

The Cormyrian barks his orders, Dwan adjusting accordingly. The line of the boat is correct, but the sails refuse to catch…

[Shorjahl, spell results:]

Suddenly, as if by the grace of the Gods, the sails fill out. The boom swings over as the mage stands atop the deck, the bracer chiming hauntingly between the crashes of waves.

Water sprays in Shorjahl’s face, but his concentration is unbroken. Trois Pistoles emerges from its rut, cutting a clean line toward the galleon.

In hot pursuit.

[…]

Dwan finds his footing, gripping tightly to the helm and guiding the boat through the spray.

[META:
*Shorjahl’s brilliantly timed wind spell improves Dwan’s result from ‘slow start’ to ‘up to half speed’. Artimus’ expertly positioned navigating and line, combined with the reality of the initial speed, nets you out to a result of ‘Catching the Galleon right at its middle]

Arcane wind blows hard against the sails, and the light 60’ sloop cuts across the wave tops, as if by flight.

Custer crouches behind a stack of crates, as Kellar brandishes his harpoons and Osvald keeps sight from his perch.

[…]

Suddenly, you are upon them.

The great, groaning, gallant sides of the galleon come into focus, and within minutes Trois Pistoles finds itself within 200 feet.

Osvald can see the light house to the starboard side, Trois Pistoles cutting a clean line to the midsection of the boat on a broad reach.

Fortune, and magic, favors you. This will not be easy, but your prey is in sight.

From the side of the galleon, a dozen silhouettes step up to the rails. They draw back bows and crossbows as your craft whips towards them, Shorjahl’s spell beginning to fade, but the true wind catching in the sails all the same.

At Artimus’ prompting, Dwan brings the boat about by 45 degrees, settling on a parallel course as arrows and crossbow bolts begin to rain down from the sky.

You can hear them falling in the water on portside, a few thunking harmlessly off of the wooden gunwales.

Warning shots.

=============================

Ok guys! With a little magic from Shorjahl, and some good captaining, you guys have made a solid effort.

Trois pistoles is hauling ass, sidling up next to the Galleon. In moments, you’ll be right beside them.

A few notes - they are firing down upon you, and next round you’ll be within 100 feet of the side of the boat.

Keep in mind, the Galleon is a much larger craft than Trois Pistoles, and so the rails (top of the boat) is about 30 feet higher than yours. Only the crows nest area (which is 90 feet in the air, where osvald is) is obviously higher.

Therefore, all of you fire ranged weapons at the 12 archers on the side of the boat at disadvantage, while they get advantage. The reverse is true for Osvald, or anyone in the crows nest section (can accommodate no more than 3 of you at a time, and makes you a very easy target for any AoE effects or attacks.

I’m going to need a dexterity check from Dwan, to bring the boat alongside the galleon:
*10+: You’re 40 feet away
*15+: You’re 25 feet away
*20+: You’re within 10 feet

Artimus, you can make another Captaining check to grant advantage to Dwan on his helming role, but you cannot attack if doing so.

Stats for the archers are up in the lair. Assume they are 180 feet away this round (don’t forget, disadvantage if you’re in long range)

EXP: +30 for total party post, +20 for late DM posts this week!
avatar
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 28
Location : ON

Character sheet
Armor Class::
Health:
1/1  (1/1)
Hit Dice::
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Custer Thickett on Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:58 am

Custer spots the arrows in their flight, and ducks around the side of his crates, kneeling as he listens to them splash and thud.  Oiy, this is bad.  He would not soon forget the archers in the gatehouse, and this seemed much worse.  Gots to do something, Cuss.  Anything.

Cuss steps out from behind the crate, showing himself in plain view of the galleon.  He keeps the arches of his feet raised, ready to dodge another flight of arrows by jumping back into cover.  He puffs out his chest and sucks in air, then shouts across the water, "The hells are ya doin, fools?!  We're with ya!  K'Tesh is below deck, and he's hurt real bad!  We needs to bring em on board!  He woan make it much longer!"

[Cuss uses dodge, attacks against him are at disadvantage.]

[Rolling deception, +4]
19

========
Cuss is trying to fool the Shadows to buy time for the approach, or maybe even get on board before the fight breaks out.


Last edited by Custer Thickett on Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:58 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  DiceMaster on Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:58 am

The member 'Custer Thickett' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 15

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Ao on Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:01 pm

[cuss, great idea, but you are nearly 200 feet away across a churning Great Lake with hearty winds. They could probably only hear you if you were within 20 feet. I'll let you pocket that persuasion roll for later though!]
avatar
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 28
Location : ON

Character sheet
Armor Class::
Health:
1/1  (1/1)
Hit Dice::
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Shorjahl on Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:58 pm

Shorjahl's arms quiver and tremble as he wills every last ounce of magic from the spellform, until finally it diminishes. As the arrows plunk into the side of the ship, he moves quickly to an area with the most cover. "Where can I target that will disable the ship the easiest? The sails? The rudder?!" He shouts out to no one in particular, hoping that someone will answer. He begins examining the ship, attempting to deduce what he can tell from the physics of the craft, and how to disable it at range.

-------------------------------------------------

So roll Int for logic to figure out how to do it. I'll roll with advantage assuming someone shouts out an answer. (24 either way, as 19 was my first roll)

Once we are within 120' of whatever that element is, I will begin targeting it with magic missile until it breaks (preparing to attack to launch immediately). I want to cause the least amount of permanent damage to the ship and its cargo (that's the whole point we're going after this thing, right?)


Last edited by Shorjahl on Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Shorjahl
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 227
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 12
Health:
24/24  (24/24)
Hit Dice::
4/4  (4/4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  DiceMaster on Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:58 pm

The member 'Shorjahl' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 19, 4

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Osvald Hale on Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:24 pm

Osvald takes up one of Kellars 'modified' arrows as he waits to get into range of the much larger ship.

He takes cover behind the mast as he waits, hearing the enemy's arrows impacting ever closer to him and his friends. Cuss shouts something at the other vessel but his words are lost in the wind.

When the other ship looms within range, Osvald flips open the latern cover, and let's the wick catch.

Quickly, he pops out from behind the mast and let's his sparking arrow fly into the largest mass of enemy archers aligned along the side of the ship, before ducking back behind the mast for cover.

He claps his arrow hand over his marred ear and waits for the boom.

=====

Waiting to fire until Dwan and Artinus get us into range. Firing with height advantage against the largest cluster of enemies lined up along the edge of the Galleon.

16 + 8 = 24 kapow!

Not knowing the effects of the modified arrows yet, I'll hold off on posting in the Lair until you fill in the blanks Ao, even if the explosive effect is only minor, Osvalds arrow should still strike+Probably would kill whomever he targeted at the center of the grouping.


Last edited by Osvald Hale on Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
Osvald Hale
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 268
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Toronto, Canada

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
41/41  (41/41)
Hit Dice::
4/4  (4/4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  DiceMaster on Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:24 pm

The member 'Osvald Hale' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 16, 6

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Artimus DeLonde on Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:15 pm

Artimus continues captaining the Vessel as it closes on the fleeing behemoth.

"Eazy Doez it Mon amie, We will pull along zide zhe ship nice and cazual."
========================
Captaining 1d20 x2 +6  = 15

Sorry for the quick on lads


Last edited by Artimus DeLonde on Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
Artimus DeLonde
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 528
Join date : 2010-08-16
Age : 33
Location : GTA

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
50/61  (50/61)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  DiceMaster on Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:15 pm

The member 'Artimus DeLonde' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 9, 6

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Kellar on Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:40 pm

Kellar looks to the air as he sees the arrows volleyed from the other ship fall harmlessly short. He casually walked to the entrance of the captain's quarters and leaned in the doorway, listening for the arrows to eventually strike the deck of the Pistol. Perfectly good waste of arrows and bolts, he said aloud.

He removed a ration from his pack and ate a few bites and gave some to Orbaugh, who reluctantly took a few nibbles. Not fish. I know, we'll get fish soon enough, I promise.

Kellar drew his shield from his back and linked a couple chains together and connected it a javelin and his belt.

Actions:
Kellar will remain in cover until the Pistol gets close to the other ship. He'll then make his first ranged attack to pick off an archer (hopefully)
avatar
Kellar
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 485
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Wisconsin

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Dwan Bolduum on Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:59 pm

Nope nothing like fishing on Arran, Dwan thinks as he turns the wheel with futility.

With the wind blowing right at us we'll never be able to close in on the ship. A wave catches the Trois Pistoles and turns the ship sideways.Why did I think I could drive this thing.

Dwan feels the wind rustle through his hair as Shorjahl conjures up his gale of wind.

Dwan listens closely as Artimus gives him tips on how to guide the ship.

Eazy Doez it Mon amie, We will pull along zide zhe ship nice and cazual.

**Rolling Dex to get party along side ship [17+0 = 17]**

Dwan lines up the Pistoles behind the Galleon, using it's wake to reduce the impact of the waves. With quick and subtle moves Dwan directs the ship to the port side of the Galleon, he can hear the shouts coming from the opposing ship and the clatter of bolts and arrows skittering across deck



Last edited by Dwan Bolduum on Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Dwan Bolduum
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 224
Join date : 2015-01-29

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 14
Health:
57/57  (57/57)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  DiceMaster on Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:59 pm

The member 'Dwan Bolduum' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 12

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Dwan Bolduum on Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:03 pm

Rolling advantage die for Dex
avatar
Dwan Bolduum
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 224
Join date : 2015-01-29

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 14
Health:
57/57  (57/57)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  DiceMaster on Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:03 pm

The member 'Dwan Bolduum' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 17

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Custer Thickett on Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:57 pm

If another flight of arrows streaks towards the ship, Cuss will spin and dive behind his creates.  He grabs his father's light crossbow and holds it against his chest.  Once much close to the galleon, he shouts again, "I said, we're with ya!  K'Tesh is below deck, and he's hurt real bad!  We needs to bring em on board, ya fools!  He woan make it much longer!  Do ya have a healer for em?"
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Ao on Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:27 pm

The Trois Pistoles careens through the waves, the galleon coming up hard. Wind whips through your hair, as Osvald prepares his volley from the crow’s nest, and Shorjahl’s bracers chime with arcane energy.

Artimus’ word echo out across the deck, spray misting your faces, as you close in on 100’.

Shorjahl’s hands begin to crackle with energy, as he looks for vulnerable parts of the ship…

[Shorjahl, INT check;]

The rudder is submerged fully underwater. It’s possible that he could destroy it with enough magic missile into the lake at the stern, but the galleon might continue full-speed without the capacity to steer…which would likely end disastrously for the Shadow Thieves…and the supplies.

The masts are high up, and damaging them will not be easily done. They are thick lumber, and even from this distance Shorjahl can tell that it would take an excessive amount of concussive force to begin tumbling them…far more than he has the capacity for.

The sails, then, are the most logical target. Flame would be the most potent weapon, for certain. Magic missile could blow some holes through them, likely slowing the progress of the galleon. But without a dramatically tearing or burning the sails, it’s unlikely that they would stop the boat altogether…

Even still, there are four sails to deal with.

[…]

Another volley of arrows rains down upon the boat, ripping through sails and cracking off of the hull. Custer is shouting in the seaspray, trying to bluff them. But from this distance, it is clear the silhouetted men atop the galleon cannot hear him…

Dwan, soaked from the waves, grips tightly to the helm. He catches a harsh gust, and Trois Pistoles swoops in at mid-point to the galleon, 25 feet away…

*CRACK*!

Osvald looses an arrow, and it careens into the line of archers, a concussive blast heard as the arrow strikes dead-on into an archer.

Bits of the unfortunate gentleman fall into the lake, his corpse tumbling after…

[…]

As the boat closes in, Custer shouts up his bluff. The halfling’s voice carries on the breeze, as the unrelenting assault rains down on them.

[Custer, Deception results:]

Suddenly, the fire halts for a moment. As Trois Pistoles settles alongside the galleon, the lighthouse whipping past them, a man appears over the rail of the galleon.

“STOP YOU FOOLS!” he shouts to his men, looking down at the boat.

“Bring up K’Tesh! Show him to us! Or we’ll fill you full of arrows and burn your ship into ash!”

========================

OK guys,

Custer’s bluff has bought you a second, to orient your ship alongside the galleon.

Dwan, in the moment that the boat is not under duress right now, I’ll allow you to maneuver Trois Pistoles up to 10’ away from the galleon’s side for free. Let me know your exact distance.

There are still 11 archers looking over the side of the rail, a ragged band of men with dark cloaks and bandanas. They’re readying actions against you, and I’m going to give them 2 attacks each (to reflect striking first) if they sense that you guys are bluffing or you begin to attack.

(NOTE: Even if you all-out attack this round and kill many of them, they’re still going to strike first, so there’ll be at least 12 attacks coming down at you (retconned for before you strike)

I’m going to let the fact that Osvald waxed one of them go for now. Chalk it up to a chaotic band of bloodthirsty thieves recognizing one of their own.

Further acts of aggression though, or a failure to produce K’Tesh, is going to result in a hellfire of arrows up your grill.

So, let’s discuss the cover situation right now:

If you go ‘below deck’, obviously you can’t be hurt by arrow fire…but you can’t attack either
If you stay on deck, you will not get any cover saves (for hiding behind crates or boxes or whatever) because of the angle they’re firing down at you from... Unless Dwan maneuvers the boat out to at least 50’ away from the Galleon. If he does, you can claim half-cover.
The crow’s nest will grant Osvald 1/2 cover, and any others (up to 2) that get up there.

Same rules apply as before. They’ll have advantage for firing down on you, you’ll have disadvantage for firing upward.

Except for those in the crow’s nest (40’ above their deck, approx.) where you’ll have advantage, and they’ll have disadvantage.

OK guys, delicate situation.

Also, Im uploading stats for the ‘leader’ guy right now.

cheers
-Ao

EXP: +30 for full party post
avatar
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 28
Location : ON

Character sheet
Armor Class::
Health:
1/1  (1/1)
Hit Dice::
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 16 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum