Chapter One

Page 12 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  DiceMaster on Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:29 am

The member 'Custer Thickett' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 18

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Shorjahl on Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:06 pm

Shorjahl follows Cuss' lead and tries to move as quietly as possible, practically shuffling with every step.

---------------

Stealth 6


Last edited by Shorjahl on Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Shorjahl
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 227
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 12
Health:
24/24  (24/24)
Hit Dice::
4/4  (4/4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  DiceMaster on Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:06 pm

The member 'Shorjahl' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 4

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Forgeless Kilik on Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:00 pm

The sight of the priest made Kilik's blood run hot, but that was a fight for another day.

Pushing back with the others to the room with the odd gem, he sought for any way a miner's craft might help make the place more easily defensible. As he prodded at various nooks and tested the stability of stones large and small, his eyes were repeatedly drawn to the orc skull with the gem inside it.

He licked his lips as he thought back to an old dwarven proverb: To refuse a gift once is polite, but twice a grave offense. It seems like such a waste, though... he murmured in the language of his people an' it's nae gonna do any good down 'ere, now is it?

----------------------------
Actions:

Guidance + Stonecunning on how to most safely remove the gem: 23

Once he's satisfied with the room, Kilik is getting ready to rest.

[Note: Kilik is not taking the gem, but is becoming increasingly inclined toward doing so once we break camp and are ready to push onwards.]


Last edited by Forgeless Kilik on Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Forgeless Kilik
Warrior

Posts : 91
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
33/33  (33/33)
Hit Dice::
3/3  (3/3)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  DiceMaster on Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:00 pm

The member 'Forgeless Kilik' has done the following action : Dice Roller

#1 'D20' : 15

--------------------------------

#2 'D4' : 3

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Shorjahl on Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:04 pm

Shorjahl murmurs in broken dwarven, "I'd recommend not touching anything, master Kilik. Evil energies consume this crypt, I'd hate for us to come this far only to die by some trap or foul orcish invention." He leans gently against a wall, careful he isn't touching anything himself.
avatar
Shorjahl
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 227
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 12
Health:
24/24  (24/24)
Hit Dice::
4/4  (4/4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Ao on Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:31 pm

[ok guys so just so in understanding you've retreated back in to the crypt itself, and not deeper into he mountain. Yes?]
avatar
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 28
Location : ON

Character sheet
Armor Class::
Health:
1/1  (1/1)
Hit Dice::
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Custer Thickett on Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:34 pm

[Question, was there another way to go from the room with the river, large mound, and broken stone door?]
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Kellar on Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:01 pm

OOC: Group retreated to the room with the jewel and have a short rest, Kilik looked at possible jewel removal. I want to say that we're going to head back into the mountain but we're resting at the moment.
avatar
Kellar
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 485
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Wisconsin

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Ao on Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:12 pm

[cuss: yes, deeper into the mountain by way of following the river]
avatar
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 28
Location : ON

Character sheet
Armor Class::
Health:
1/1  (1/1)
Hit Dice::
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Shorjahl on Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:37 pm

[Yeah I made a roll just to figure out which way / which room was best to avoid these guys. Shorjahl needs to rest or he's pretty much wasted. If we get in a big group fight he's for sure dead. I know Kilik was down to his last spell if not expended as well. And with Anna not posting it has been difficult to win these fights without going all out. So, that's why I suggested we go back inside, rest a bit, try to regain some of our spells, or find a different way out. Fighting 15-odd baddies right now is not a good idea.]
avatar
Shorjahl
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 227
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 12
Health:
24/24  (24/24)
Hit Dice::
4/4  (4/4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Custer Thickett on Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:59 pm

[ok, but if there were two directions of which one was to go back into the crypt, Custer would oppose going back in. Cuss is convinced that the Orcs and Kesian will be coming into the tomb after them. He would say that going into the crypt to rest would just be to wait for the impending attack. He'd rather find a place to rest deeper in the cave. He will travel with the rest of the group which ever way they choose.]
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Shorjahl on Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:59 pm

[Totally. I thought it was just a linear path.]
avatar
Shorjahl
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 227
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 12
Health:
24/24  (24/24)
Hit Dice::
4/4  (4/4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Ao on Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:24 pm

[OK guys I need definitive action. Kilik's post has already related that you went back in to the "Gem" room of bones. The final question is...are you staying to rest in the room of bones? Or are you trying to go deeper into th emountain and find a place to rest? And how long are you planning on resting for? Short rest? Or 8 hour long rest?]
avatar
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 28
Location : ON

Character sheet
Armor Class::
Health:
1/1  (1/1)
Hit Dice::
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Forgeless Kilik on Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:31 pm

[My understanding was that the "deeper into the mountain" option involved returning to the crypt and opening the stone door, and that's what my post was based on. If the "follow the river" option works for everybody else, I'm on board with that (which would render going back to the gem room an unnecessary detour).

I totally agree that a full-strength orc raiding party is not a thing we can even think about confronting right now. I'd be in favor of pushing on via the river for a bit and looking for a reasonably safe place in which we can rest.]
avatar
Forgeless Kilik
Warrior

Posts : 91
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
33/33  (33/33)
Hit Dice::
3/3  (3/3)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Shorjahl on Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:07 pm

[Agree with Kilik.]
avatar
Shorjahl
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 227
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 12
Health:
24/24  (24/24)
Hit Dice::
4/4  (4/4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Kellar on Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:26 pm

OOC: let's follow the river then, I agree with Kilik and Shorjahl.
avatar
Kellar
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 485
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Wisconsin

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Osvald Hale on Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:47 am

[Osvald agrees, follow the river to a suitable i.e. Concealed/defensible resting place.]


The ranger grumbles to himself as the party sloshes back down the twisting waterway, weary and wet.
avatar
Osvald Hale
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 268
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Toronto, Canada

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
41/41  (41/41)
Hit Dice::
4/4  (4/4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Ao on Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:26 pm

Hurriedly, the fellowship turns away from the opening, walking back up the slow-moving waterway.

The depths of the mountain beckons you as you walk past the mouth of the quiet crypt, finding your way eventually onshore in the light of Custer’s torch.

After moments of searching, a deep cave tunnel reveals itself, twisting deeper into the mountain cairn.

The fellowship enters…

[…]

Rocky outcroppings and sharp descents dot the way, heavy stalagmites hanging overhead. Into the heart of the mountain the fellowship walks, the chittering of bats and the dripping of water echoing through chamber after chamber of rock and tunnel.

You sense a dramatic wind working its way through the passage ahead, and the tunnel that you were walking through suddenly terminates on a large, open natural platform.

The platform extends out over a massive pit, perhaps a mile in diameter, that winds down into the depths of the earth. You can see the cavern ceiling 100 feet above your head, and a crude path winds devilishly down the spiralling descent into the dark…

===============

Ok guys, this position is the most defensible that you have found. You’ve been walking for perhaps half an hour.

This chamber is enormous. A mile in diameter. And the platform that you’re on does circle around for a short time until it re-enters the cave wall, presumably into another path through the mountain.

However, there is a great spiralling rocky outcropping that begins its descent down into the enormous, seemingly bottomless pit. Your eyes cannot even comprehend how deep it would be. It is truly an unexpected marvel.

EXP: +20 to Kilik, Shor, Cuss, Kell and Osvald.

Ok guys, I need to know how long you’re resting for (if you’re resting here). Afterward, are you continuing along the path deeper into the mountain? Are you going to start scaling the rocky outcropping down into this infinite pit? Are you turning around to go back to where the crypt chamber/tunnel to the orcs is?

Let me know

-Ao
avatar
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 28
Location : ON

Character sheet
Armor Class::
Health:
1/1  (1/1)
Hit Dice::
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Custer Thickett on Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:45 pm

Custer removes his pack and leans it against the wall on a dry spot of ground.  He stretches out his arms and yawns.  He then takes his waterskin from his belt and takes a swish of the cold mountain water within.  He then pours a little on his face, and shakes it off.  Replacing the waterskin, he announces, "I'll take the first watch, fellas.  I only have one torch left in me gear.  How do the rest of ya fair?  Oh, and I have need of a hand axe on my watch."  

Custer walks back up the path in the tunnel they came out of, looking for a good place to wedge his fresh torch.  He liked being able to see any shadows as a warning that they may have been followed.  It takes him some time to wedge some rocks on top of it in a crevasse on the wall so as to hold it in place.  Satisfied, he returned to the room and took stock of his burned torches.  Five, six...  Six stakes.  Normally, in such a situation, Cuss would use the wood to build a small fire.  In this brisk and drafty chamber, a fire may be a wiser choice than a trap, but Kesian's likely in pursuit made Custer nervous.

Before working on the stakes, Cuss took a crowbar into the water with him.  He used it to poke at the loose gravel beneath the water in the passageway to the room, looking for any likely locations he may be able to bore a shallow hole with it and the hammer to be able to wedge a spike into.  Every time he felt he found a good spot, he would poke and dig with the crowbar at an angle so that the stakes would lean towards the direction they approached the room from.  When the ground was tough, he would use his wrapped hammer to strike the crowbar, Thwump, Thwump.  Once he had both his crowbars wedged in places he liked, Custer would take the borrowed hand axe to the end of a spent torch to fashion a point on one end.  When ready, he would use his mouth to hold the torch, his left hand to mark where the crowbar meets the ground underwater, and his right to pull it free.  He would then shove the spike in place beneath the surface of the water and repeat, until he had all six stakes deployed across the entrance beneath the water.  

[Rolling tools proficiency for fashioning a trap +7 *sleight of hand*]
13

After some time working, Custer is convinced that his trap is set, and retires back to the main room.  Custer puts his gear away, and returns the hand axe.  Custer then helps himself to a ration and some more water while he leans up against the wall, thinking.  Who was that Halfling on those banners, love?  Agata replied, 'He's evil, Cuss.' Custer respondes, Mayhaps, but he also looked powerful, and Kesian said that Grol will lead his Clan to victory in the Halfling's name, so he must be important.  Do you think I favor him at all?  There was a pause before Agata replied, 'Sometimes you disgust me.'  Custer's face showed shock, Harsh words, my love.  I'm not aiming for godhood, you know that.  I just thought it might impress Kesian.  Agata said nothing.

Custer considered how much time had passed since he started working on his trap.  Eh, I got a little time yet.  He fetches a small mirror, scissors, soap, and a jar of makeup from his gear.  Custer uses the dim light of the burning torch to try to reshape his cut and brows to better match the one Kesian called Cryic.  He then used his makeup to apply some shadowing to change the angles of his face.  In the light, he was sure it would end up being a sloppy job, but if it only made Kesian hesitate for a moment, that is all he would need to put an arrow in the man's eye.

[Rolling disguise kit proficiency +6 *deception*]
15

Once convinced he could pass for the likeness of the worshiped Hin, Cuss woke up the next one on watch.  "Come on, lug.  Me eyes won't stay open much longer.  Don't go wading back out through the tunnel we came in where i have that torch burning.  I put some stakes under the water.  If you see a shadow pass in front of the light in there, wake me up."


Last edited by Custer Thickett on Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:54 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : double checked PHB for how to roll the kits and had my bonuses wrong)
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  DiceMaster on Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:45 pm

The member 'Custer Thickett' has done the following action : Dice Roller

#1 'D20' : 6

--------------------------------

#2 'D20' : 9

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Shorjahl on Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:40 pm

Shorjahl curiously looked over the endless chasm, levitating a small pebble and illuminating it with his bright, white, sterile light. It floated thirty feet out over the pit, truly demonstrating the enormity of the crevasse. "This must be a way to access deep into the heart of the mountain, or even the underdark below." He levitates the rock back to its place, and it snuffs out back into darkness.

He sits wearily as he watches Custer prepare what he will with his traps, looking for anything that could be flammable. He does his best to start a fire, snaking in a small tendril of arcane heat into a bundle, hoping that it will take and generate at least a bit of merriment, of not true warmth in this dark and infinite place.

"What do you make of this, Kilik?" Shorjahl's voice is low, hoarse, his haunted expression softened by his amazement at the beauty of the world. The natural explorer within him was almost happy again - but the fear of death and the guilt of killing so many was weighing heavily upon the arcane one.

Once secure, Shorjahl would eat voraciously, restoring the much-needed energy he consumed today. "I will interrupt my sleep and take third watch, I mind not." He would promptly lay down, curling up his cloak (now dry and clean due to prestidigitation) and sleep.

--------------------------------------

I need a full rest, which I think is 6 hours? In order to not be a sack of useless meat. Also, if we rest I think we level up. After sleep, I'd suggest we go to search that "western" corridor in Urukath's chamber, as well as to scout out if the orc camp is still at the mouth of the cavern. I'm not sure how long that will take or what distances we're talking, so maybe not.

How long, if realistic, will it take for us to get straight back to where we need to be with the horn? If I need to roll, here's an Int check.

Int: 24


Last edited by Shorjahl on Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
Shorjahl
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 227
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 12
Health:
24/24  (24/24)
Hit Dice::
4/4  (4/4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  DiceMaster on Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:40 pm

The member 'Shorjahl' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 19

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Forgeless Kilik on Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:08 pm

Kilik marveled at the scope of the expanse before them, letting out a low whistle of appreciation Now, that be a hole!

He raised an eyebrow at Shorjahl I left me set o' wings at home, alas...we should probably stick to the path and follow the tunnels yonder. But first he groaned as he rolled his head in a circle to loosen his stiff neck some prayers of thanks to the Watcher-Over-Wanderers be in order. An' I do me best prayin' with me eyes shut.

-------------------------------------------------------
Actions:

Kilik makes ready to spend the evening here, taking the second watch after Custer.
avatar
Forgeless Kilik
Warrior

Posts : 91
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
33/33  (33/33)
Hit Dice::
3/3  (3/3)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Kellar on Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:14 pm

Kellar inspects the cavernous area they've entered. This is amazing, it's too bad that I'm almost too tired to care, he said.

I'm with the Master Dwarf, we should be heading up and out, instead of down deeper into this place, Kellar continued.

Orbaugh, perhaps get some rest, it's been an exciting day.

With that, Kellar dropped his pack on the ground and he leaned against the rock hewn wall with his lance against the wall, and the Uni-Spear across his lap.

I'll take fourth watch as needed, wake me first if there's something you detect, I'll be ready. Orbaugh here, will be ready.

Kellar and Orbaugh rest after drinking some water and having a bit of food.

Actions:
*Kellar would take a long rest, need to recuperate from all the action of the day.
avatar
Kellar
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 485
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Wisconsin

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Ao on Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:37 pm

The wind in the caverns blows fitfully as the fellowship sleeps in darkness, taking their turn in shifts and feeling energy flow back into their bones. Exhaustion hits you as you lay your head down, and in moments you drift into a heavy sleep.

[...6 hours]

The rest feels mercilessly short. But it will do.

When you awaken, the breadth and scope of the cavern - almost unnerving in its colossal dimension - reminds you of the long road ahead.

==================

OK guys you've rested for 6 hours without incident. Shorjahl, your inclination is that it will take at least 10 hours to get back r once you actually get out of this place and back into the brown lands. That's without incident, of course...

You've got approximately 18 hours left until the Esrelembar comes, and Maleil dies. According to the legend.

I was tempted to move the storyline forward more pronouncedly, but this is an important juncture and I'd like you guys to really commit to a specific path.

EXP: +20 to shor, cuss kell and kilik
avatar
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 28
Location : ON

Character sheet
Armor Class::
Health:
1/1  (1/1)
Hit Dice::
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Custer Thickett on Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:04 am

Custer was back in the hall with the tapestries, standing on the long table.

Along the length of the table stood dark-skinned Orcs, still as statues. They were adorned with ornate midnight-black cloaks, and held long-spears twice their height with blades the length of Custer's arm. They looked directly forward at their counterpart across the table. They did not blink, cough, or speak. The only movement was the heaving of their chests, the flutter of their cloaks in the draft, and the slight mist of their breath.

At the far end of the table, Custer could see the remains of the door Kilik had smashed to timbers. Bits of splintered wood were still hanging from the mangled frame. In front of the door stood Grol and Kesian, abreast. They stared at him, but much like Urukath, only dark empty holes remained where their eyes once were. However, unlike the Blackbriar chieftain, their eyes were bleeding. Crimson rivers flowing down the front of their bodies.

Custer struggled to speak, but his mouth would not move. Then, he heard sinister laughter. Faint, far away, but getting closer and louder every moment. He was surrounded by it, and could not tell from which way the laughter came, until he caught movement out of the corner of his eye. It was the tapestry. The Halfling on the banner was laughing at him.

...

Custer awoke covered in a cold sweat. He did not move. Slowly, he opened his eyes and stared into the darkness above him. His lips peeled apart as he spoke, "He laughed."
...

[Will post more later or tomorrow]
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Shorjahl on Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:15 pm

Shorjahl's gray eyes open after his second shift of sleep, taking a deep breath of the cool cavernous air. He sits upright, feeling (and looking) like a new man. He spryly hops onto the balls of his feet, gathering his things, multiple elements and small knick knacks from his watch floating into his pack with arcane energy, his bracer nearly imperceptibly chiming.

"We have less than a day to get back, and at least a ten hour journey - considering we come across nothing to impede us." He stands up, cracking his neck, back, and fingers with a satisfied sigh. The vigor he'd displayed a day ago has returned, the shadows come from his eyes and the color back in his beard-covered cheeks.

"If we move deeper into this cavern, it could lead us anywhere within the mountain. We could be down here for days, even weeks - I don't want to die when we're so close to succeeding in our journey, nor take a detour into the underdark." He paces a bit, as if sermonizing to the group. "So as far as I can deduce - we have two applicable paths. The first, we return back out the way we came, fight or convince the Orcs if necessary to let us clear." He stops and turns, his eyes furrowing at the prospect of combat.

"Second, we enter Urukath's crypt once again, and we attempt to travel westward through the corridor in his final resting chamber. I'm not one to trust my intuition, but my instinct tells me that that path is the ideal one."

-----------------------------

If nobody disagrees, Shorjahl will lead the party back into the crypt, into Urukath's chamber, and to that one western corridor we elected not to go down.
avatar
Shorjahl
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 227
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 12
Health:
24/24  (24/24)
Hit Dice::
4/4  (4/4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Custer Thickett on Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:50 pm

Custer is relieved to hear Shorjahl's voice. He now knew that he had not been taken in the night after all. He sits up on his bedroll, and scoots back so that he can lean against his pack for support. He uses his blanket to blot at the sweat on his face so as not to smear his mask. When Shorjahl offers his options, Custer uses his left hand to point to the other side of the ledge. "Nay, there is another path over there. Mayhaps Master Kilik can take a good look to see if it may lead up and out. There is also the path down and around, but I don't see how that'd be getting us any closer to a soft bed."
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Shorjahl on Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:05 pm

Shorjahl crosses his arms, looking across the narrow ledge and out to the path in the distant darkness. "As I said Cuss, I think that path could just lead deeper into the mountain. There's nothing here that demonstrates - at least to my untrained eye - that that path or down would lead us anywhere but farther from our destination."

He unfolds his arms, running his fingers along his beard in thought. "The path in Urukath's burial chamber was definitely artificially constructed, leading me to believe it has some final point out. This is just the natural flow of the mountain, something I'd rather not entangle with." He waves toward the path, somewhat dismissively.

----------------------

Action still stands.
avatar
Shorjahl
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 227
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 12
Health:
24/24  (24/24)
Hit Dice::
4/4  (4/4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Custer Thickett on Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:12 pm

Custer rubs one of his eyes with his left hand, and looks at Kilik then back to Shorjahl.  "Well, if it were to go deeper into the mountain, then ya right.  Tell me, Shorjy, just how many unmapped mountains have ya wandered under lately?  Maybe me skulls a bit thick, but somebody once told me that iffin I ever find meself lost underground, ask a dwarf for directions."
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Shorjahl on Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:13 pm

Shorjahl smiles, besides himself, and looks for Kilik to weigh in.
avatar
Shorjahl
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 227
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 12
Health:
24/24  (24/24)
Hit Dice::
4/4  (4/4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Forgeless Kilik on Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:08 pm

Well, here we be, then. he rubbed his thick fingers over his brows.

We be called into the world to "blaze fresh trails", in the language o' my people. An' there's not much about that dusty orc crypt that strikes me as fresh. Here we got us a dark tunnel ahead, and an orc horde behind, an' that to me seems like a question o' faith. I know ye don't share me own long history with the Watchful Eye, but he's ne'er led me wrong, even though the roads we walked have sometimes been hard. Cruel hard. He fell quiet for a moment as his eyes darkened in memory.

...but if yer askin' me, he pointed to the tunnel ahead that there looks like a trail just a-waitin' to be blazed. I can't promise that it will lead us to where we're lookin' to go, but if my experience of Marthammor Duin is anything to learn from, it should lead us to where we need to be.
avatar
Forgeless Kilik
Warrior

Posts : 91
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
33/33  (33/33)
Hit Dice::
3/3  (3/3)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Shorjahl on Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:11 pm

Shorjahl nods firmly. "Then let's not waste any more time." He grabs his pack and prepares to leave toward the darkened passage indicated by Kilik, lighting up a sizeable stone and causing it to hover arcanely several feet in front of him.

---------------

Going along the ledge to the unexplored passage, definitely not the down passage.
avatar
Shorjahl
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 227
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 12
Health:
24/24  (24/24)
Hit Dice::
4/4  (4/4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Custer Thickett on Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:57 pm

Custer throws his blanket off and stands up into a long stretch and yawn.  He then fetches his waterskin for a drink, and begins rolling up his gear.  Once stowed away as Osvald showed him, Cuss slings the pack over his shoulders without much struggle at all.  The mountain way, heh.  Custer tucks his last unlit torch in his belt, and starts off after the party.  Custer will again take up the rear so that he may listen for followers behind.  He is less concerned about this, however, since their rest went uninterrupted and his trap lays in wait behind them.

Once the group begins to file into the passageway, Custer will say to those in front of him, Go on ahead, I'll catch up.  Have some quick business with this pit.  Custer walks up to the edge and relieves himself with a sigh.  I hope I get lucky and hit K'Tesh on the head.

...

[action: marching in rear no stealth or active perception rolls.]
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Ao on Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:38 am

Shorjahl's bracer illuminates the way as Kilik guides you through the mountain tunnels, the enormous pit-chamber fading away.

The rocks are cast with the dullish blue hue of the bracer, pitch black unfolding in the distance. Sediment falls from above, and the sound of bats flapping in the distance is a near constant interruption to your thoughts.

[...]

After a time, you come to a luminescent cavern. A glowing moss grows upon the rocks here, and a small waterfall that drains into a pitch dark pool bubbles and gurgles loudly through the echoing chamber.

As Shorjah's glowing rock flows past the water, you can see the skeleton of an adventurer laying aside the pool, long stripped of his skin by whatever beasts call this mountain home...

You continue on.

[...]

It has been nearly an hour of winding through the dark heart of the mountain, when you round a bend and are greeted with a distant circle of blue sky. The cave mouth opens one hundred feet ahead, back into the overland of the small teeth.

As you clamber up to the exit, however, a menacing sound echoes from deep within the network of caves behind you.

An inhuman, unpleasant roar. Echoing through the chambers, as if angered by something, or someone.

Or perhaps, you.

[...]

As you crest the cave mouth into the open air, you can feel the sun beating down on your cheeks. Momentarily you are blinded by the brightness, but soon you can see that you stand upon a massive cliff face, descending hundreds of feet down into the treetops of the brown lands.

For miles you can see the extensive mountain range, and the breathtaking sight of forest and sky on the horizon. Birds circle overhead, and morning mist clings to the treetops.

But there is no enviable path in sight. Indeed, you cannot walk for more than twenty feet before the sturdy earth becomes a sharp incline down the sheer cliff face.

==============================

Ok guys, so you're probably half a mile off the ground. The cliff face is sheer as hell, and you're going to need some excellent climbing rolls in order to not fall and break your faces.

If you elect to climb down, then you need climbing supplies (rope, pitons, etc) and an established system for doing so. There are a handful of ledges that you might be able to descend at a time. Let's say, a reliable one every 80 feet or so.

I'll accept DEX or STR checks for this bit. I'll need one check from each of you. If you're wearing armor heavier than leather, you'll be taking a -3 on these checks. If you fall...things don't look good.

Otherwise, you're free to return back into the tunnels and look for another way out.

Time's ticking.

EXP: +20 shor, kell, cuss, kilik

(LET ME STRESS: Properly describing how you go about this is crucial. Your DC will be based on how well you describe your planning and efforts and failsafes. Poor planning...very high DC.)
avatar
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 28
Location : ON

Character sheet
Armor Class::
Health:
1/1  (1/1)
Hit Dice::
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Custer Thickett on Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:02 am

Custer leans forward to look down the cliff face, and spits. "Hells of a day to only have three of me ten pitons left in me pack."  Custer puts his hands on his hips and shakes his head.  He looks up and down the cliff, then pivots and looks back at the cave mouth, and inspects the mountain around it.  "Mayhaps to get down, we must first go up."  Custer points to the mountain above the cave.  "There might be an easier way down on the other side."  Custer shrugs.
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Kellar on Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:36 pm

I hate to say it, but I'm not going down that. I've dealt with enough cliffs, climbing and heights to know that without equipment, it's a lost cause, Kellar said.

If we move fast enough and quiet enough, we get past that beast we heard. Lord Hale, perhaps you know what that thing is making all that racket, questioned Kellar.

Shorjahl looks better, the Master Dwarf looks better, hell, we all look better for the most part. I'd say we sneak back to where the orcs are camped at, element of surprise and all, he continued.

Orbaugh, do you know what's making that noise through the tunnels?

Now, you might think I'm crazy, but as a dragoon, we've used smaller creatures to bait dragons. Maybe we can piss that creature off enough to chase us out of the tunnel into that camp, give the orcs something to play with, he finished.

Actions:
*Kellar would prefer to head back the way they came because of limited gear for climbing. In either case, he'll defer to the most popular course of action.
*If the group agrees with Kellar's idea about baiting the creature and running out into the orc camp, he'd like to work with Osvald and Cuss to develop a plan.
*If the group does not agree, Kellar will follow their instructions, even if he falls to his death.
avatar
Kellar
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 485
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Wisconsin

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Ao on Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:59 am

[OK guys. In response to Kellar, as a quick point, if you were to bait any creature back to the orc camp remember that it's about 1 hour worth of tunnel-walking away, to get back to that spot. Also, in this twisting network of caves you'll be fine navigating (with Kilik and Osvald, of course) unless you have to -run- for some reason.

Just wanted to make it clear that if you end up running with some evil subterranean creature, it would likely be difficult to find your way back to the orc camp at that level of speed and haste...if you could sustain that speed in the first place.

Smile]
avatar
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 28
Location : ON

Character sheet
Armor Class::
Health:
1/1  (1/1)
Hit Dice::
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Custer Thickett on Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:14 pm

Custer says, "Wells, I wouldn't be calling ya crazy, but ya are blue.  We don't really ave the time to be walking back down through that cave, fighting with dragons and Orcs.  We got one, maybe two, good options out ear.  Iffin ya don't want to try to climb up over the mouth of the cave to see if there is an easier way down, then, well, come over a moment look down the cliff with me."  Custer turns back to lean over the cliff a little to see down the face.  

He waits for Kellar or any others to join his inspection, then points down and says,  "Ya see that first ledge, and then the one below it?  Eighty feet between em at best.  I got three pitons.  That just means we have to be careful with the weight and all to catch somebody's fall.  We gots a few bundles of good hemp rope.  The way I see it is that we loop some together to give us a good sturdy double length to make the ledge, and descend one at a time. Armor and gear would have to be lowered separately. The rope would hold ya loaded on a descent, sure, but iffin ya fall and the rope has to snap to catch ya, well, the difference might be ya life." Custer has to pause to catch his breath before continuing, "We set two pitons at the top, about here," Custer points, "The first to descend will take the last piton and the hammer. When they makes the ledge, anchor the last piton and a separate rope down there. That will keep em safe on the ledge while we raise the rope and then lower the gear and each person in turn. The last one, which will be me, will pull up the pitons and whatnot. The person that just went down will need to hook the rope to the piton on the ledge, and then I'll slide the others down the rope so you can anchor a second at the ledge with the first, the two like we do up here. I'll show ya how to do it. Then, I'll have to free climb down, but iffin I fall the ropes will catch me after the drop. It'd be a good eighty or hundred foot fall, sure, but me being the lightest here I'm doubting I'll snap the ropes and pitons when I catch. Might snap me neck on the sudden stop, but at least ya'd have a body to bury rather than a pool of gore at the bottom to pee on, heh."

Custer pauses a moment to consider he'd be the one most at risk, and then continues, "Eh, me thinks we could do it, but when I try to do the numbers me head, well, not so good wit em. Figure each ledge is going to take an hour for the lot of us to make safely. It is a good bit of em to the bottom. Might be it'd take half as long to walk back, damned it. Whadya think, Shorjy?"

After Shorjahl weighs in, Custer will ask Kellar, "Recken Orgbaugh could just fly the horn back to Cherous from ear? We could afford time to be careful about all this iffin he could."
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Forgeless Kilik on Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:36 pm

Kilik broke into a cold sweat as he peered over the ledge. He'd spent the first several decades of his life comfortably underground in the halls of his fathers, and the last several decades in human cities above ground...but he'd always kept his feet firmly planted on the earth, when he could help it. His head swam, and the ground far below seemed to spin as Custer laid out his scheme for getting them to the bottom. Is this one o' yer little jokes, then? Ye got a strange sene o' humor, even for a god...

It's nae the safest path I've ever followed, but I reckon it's the one afore us now. It's a good plan he nodded to Custer or, as good a one as seems likely. We could criss-cross those tunnels for days tryin' to settle our minds, or we could put our backs into a climb and be rid o' this place. I don't like to think on it, and I'll have me eyes squeezed as tight as a elf's smile, but I say we go.

But we need more than ropes an' pitons to get down this wall. We need a favor or three from the Gods theyselves. I'll do what I can on that count - some quick words afore we try to teach ourselves to fly. An' don't worry he grinned dwarf blessin's don't hurt...much.

--------------------------------
Actions:
Kilik will go second-to-last, just before Custer. As each one goes over the edge (including him), he'll pray for Guidance to give them a +d4 on their first climbing check. (If the ledges are big enough for all of them to stand, he'd be planning on repeating this for each leg of the climb.)
avatar
Forgeless Kilik
Warrior

Posts : 91
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
33/33  (33/33)
Hit Dice::
3/3  (3/3)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Shorjahl on Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:49 pm

Shorjahl listens carefully to each of the points made by his companions. "I agree, we can't go back." He walks forward to the edge of the cliff. He sighs, clenching his jaw in frustration. "I might have a way to make it easier to descend. I can assist our weakest climbers, including myself, to descend to the bottom without incident. Once at the bottom, I can try to work something up to make your cliff face less sheer..." He ponders, scratching his beard and combing his fingers through his hair.

"I hope I don't kill us all." He smiles self consciously. "So, who're our worst climbers?"

----------------------------------------

Alright, so this is pretty darn complicated, but bear with me. Here's what I want to do:

I'll cast Levitate (second level spell), which can target friendly creatures/objects up to a total of 500 pounds (including myself.) We can move around at a slow pace, for 10 minutes. So for example, I weigh 185 + gear (around 200), I have another 300 pounds I could bring down there. That could be like Kilik and Cuss and all of our gear, or Anna and Osvald, or whatever. Whoever volunteers / the group decides, I'll carry down.

If nobody volunteers, let's go with Kilik, Cuss, and gear (I hope Osvald, Kellar, and Anna are all pretty strong climbers.)

Once we all float down and land gently on the bottom, I want to do a few more things:
* Roll Intelligence to find the best application of the spell Shatter.
* The point of the check is to see how I can make the stone face shatter to make it either much less sheer (like take a big chunk off so they can climb down at less of an angle) or just break a bunch of junk up to provide lots more ledges and make it easier to climb down.
* Shatter deals 3d8 damage (normally creatures make a Con save, creatures made of stone have disadvantage) in a 10 foot sphere. So, I want to plant that spell somewhere (Within 60 feet) and then blast that off, break the cliff, and help my buds climb down. Whew.

Here we go:

Intelligence: 13
Shatter damage: 10 (maybe super effective vs stone? I hope?)


Last edited by Shorjahl on Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
Shorjahl
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 227
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 12
Health:
24/24  (24/24)
Hit Dice::
4/4  (4/4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  DiceMaster on Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:49 pm

The member 'Shorjahl' has done the following action : Dice Roller

#1 'D20' : 8

--------------------------------

#2 'D8' : 1, 8, 1

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Kellar on Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:35 pm

Well, climbing down it is, sighed Kellar. He picked up a rock and dropped it to the nearest ledge they would be resting at next, and did so for the next few ledges. (Perception Check= 9+1= 10)

Yeah little one, I see what you're pointing at, Kellar commented. I'm listening for the clank of the rock on the ledges, gives me a bit of an idea about fall height. Eyes can be deceiving when looking straight on, er, straight down at things, he concluded.

Shorjahl, if you're going to make things fly, I'd just rather make my own way down instead of having nothing to grasp at if I happen to fall. No offense, he said.

Orbaugh, you'll need to stick close to me on the descent here.

I don't mind making my way down first, if I get within 20 feet of the ledge, I should be able to land safely no problem, said Kellar.

Kellar began undoing his armor and gear and bound it together into a tidy grouping for transport by Shorjahl.

Actions: (ho boy!)
*Kellar will perform a perception check to determine approximate distances for his own peace of mind.
*Kellar will offer to lead down the side begrudgingly, with a tow line attached to his waste. Athletics Roll= 3+4=7
*Kellar will perform a leap from 20 feet from the sheer cliff to the ledge surface (more dramatic of course!) Athletics Roll= 12+4=16


Last edited by Kellar on Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:37 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Rollz n Actionz)
avatar
Kellar
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 485
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Wisconsin

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  DiceMaster on Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:35 pm

The member 'Kellar' has done the following action : Dice Roller

#1 'D20' : 9

--------------------------------

#2 'D20' : 3

--------------------------------

#3 'D20' : 12

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Osvald Hale on Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:49 pm

Osvald looks out over the vast landscape below them, his homeland... He sighs. He'd missed it more then he realized.

'Gone too long, Osvald...'

He spits over the edge of the cliff, ruining his own moment.

"I can't say for certain what we heard in the tunnel, Kellar. But if I had to guess--I'd say some orcs opened that door in Urukath's tomb and found something that didn't like them. Or maybe they touched that Ruby. Hard to say."

He turns back to face the group as Cuss and Shorjahl outline their plans. The huntsmans face sours to a grimace at the thought of attempting the descent after all their hard travel...
Gods, he needed a drink.

"Alright. Something awoke down in the belly of that tomb, and I don't believe it was us who woke it. My gold is on Kiesan sending in a little search party after us... Yes, the camp would be less fortified, probably only left two or three orcs to mind the beasts... And that's a big problem if they can set em loose, which they almost certainly would..." Osvald grumbles, scratches his head. "...And if any of the search party survived, or whatever it was they woke comes up looking for trouble, we'd be trapped between a bad death and a not good one. Even if we make it past, any survivors could ride us down easily. We are here, in open air, and as far as the Orcs know, long gone. We just have to make it down to the ground. From there Orbaugh and I can lead us home."

The ranger takes a drought from his waterskin, wiping his mouth on a sleeve. Time was running short.

"Cuss, Shorjahl: I was raised in these mountains, I can climb--a little height doesn't bother the men of Hale. Give me a role in your plans and I'll do it." he said.

'...or die terribly.' he thought.

=====
Osvald will contribute the length of rope in his kit, and take any position in the descent plan that best suits him according to Shorjahl and Cuss.

Rolling DEX for climb if we attempt the damn thing

3 + 3, = 6 ...ouch


Last edited by Osvald Hale on Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Osvald Hale
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 268
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Toronto, Canada

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
41/41  (41/41)
Hit Dice::
4/4  (4/4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  DiceMaster on Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:49 pm

The member 'Osvald Hale' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 3

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Custer Thickett on Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:54 pm

Custer shows those that are climbing how to use the pitons.  He explains that one always needs to be in above or below somebody climbing, and for it to be planned so that you can retrieve and reuse each one.  "First one to go down needs to take the hammer with them to set the piton.  The last one keeps the crowbar.  Once the rope is tied below you, pry the piton out with this crowbar and slide it down the rope before tying it around ya.  All the same just the two would mean a long fall for the last climber, so me thinks you need to loop the third through the rope and twist it at the halfway mark, like this.  If the first one down lets out their own slack rather than gets lowered, then when ya get to the twist, find a spot to tap the piton in.  When the last one is coming down, they only need pry it out and twist for it to slide the pitons free to the last one below ya.  Got it?"

When Shorjahl explains what he intends to do, Custer offers using two or three packs lashed together so that he doesn't have to hold the weight with his arms.  

Later, when they are floating down, he will say Shorjahl, "Well, Shorjy, you were right in a fashion.  Sure am glad ya with us or we'd be somethings dinner by now I'm sure."  He will then ask, "Why can'ts ya just fly back up there and get the others?"
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Ao on Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:50 am

On the edge of the cliff, the wind blows terribly as the fellowship prepares for their daring descent.

In the distance, thick white clouds breeze across the cerulean sky. It is a picturesque day, a beautiful Amnian sunrise.

And yet, the precarious situation you find yourselves in becomes even more so as the sun shines in your eyes blindingly.

[…]

After a short time, Osvald, Kellar and Anna have attached their ropes and pitons per Custer’s specification.

Kilik begins his fervent prayers to Marthammor Duin, bestowing his aid upon the three climbers.

[+D4 each. Kellar, Osvald, Anna]
[+3, +4, +4 respectively]

Anna stands atop the cliff, anchoring the ropes as the huntsman and the dragoon prepare for their descent.

Meanwhile, Shorjahl prepares his levitate spell, gathering gear, a dwarf, and a halfling for their journey down the cliffside.

[…]

Osvald hangs precariously from the rope, sliding down carefully in search of an anchor point.

His descent is slow, and careful. The rocks beneath his hands are more crumbly than he anticipated, and at times his foothold turns to mud.

After 20 minutes of climbing, he finds himself 80 feet below the fellowship, on the open side of a cliff staring off into the horizon.

A flock of birds miles and miles off swoop above the treetops.

Would that they could do the same.

Finally, the huntsman finds himself on a precipice. He anchors the line, carefully, and awaits Kellar’s descent.

[…]

The dragoon puts his foot over the ledge, and begins rappelling down.

His intention is to make a heroic leap to Osvald’s position from 20 feet. Certainly, showing the cliff and the gods themselves that he fears not the elements.

[…]

In the meantime, Shorjahl casts his final incantation, and the bundle of wizard, halfling, and fiery red beard begin their cautious journey.

The feeling is of weightlessness. And hovering mere feet away from the sheer cliff wall is a dizzying affair.

The ground looks so, so far away.

[…]

Kellar is 40 feet down the mountain, when a sudden *pop* is heard.

[Kellar and Osvald, climbing checks (respectively), Failed and Failed]

Osvald’s heart sinks in a split second as the piton suddenly blasts free from the rock, striking his face in its rapid ascent as Kellar comes flailing down the cliff face from his precarious height.

The huntsman has no time to think, however, because the fickle platform he is perched upon collapses under the strain, and suddenly he is in free-fall down the cliff face as well.

The wind is sucked from your chests as you fly down the mountain side. You reach madly for the wall. For a foothold. For anything.

But you are moving too fast.

Your descent hastens, and soon your heart will break from your chest. Perhaps, mercifully, killing you before you land upon the ground.

[…]

A sudden explosion is heard.

[Shorjahl, Shatter!, 3d8 damage to the mountainside (1 cu. foot per damage radius): 11x11 foot blast]

The mountainside explodes in a shower of rock, shrapnel whistling through the air as it strikes the falling huntsman in the face.

[1D4 explosive damage to Osvald: 1 Damage]

The huntsman can scarcely feel it upon his numb skin, oxygen being deprived from his blood.

But a new feeling is felt imminently.

*CRACK*

Shorjahl’s spell has blown a massive crater in the side of the mountain, creating a rugged concave of rock.

Every bone in Osvald’s body seems to break as he lands in the crater, pain shooting through every limb. The sound is sickening, bringing a reflex of vomit into his mouth.

*CRACK*

A similar sound echoes out beside him as Kellar lands in the crater also, his armor bending and contorting into his body in the most painful way.

The wind is sucked from your chests.

[Osvald, fell 40 feet, 4D6 of damage: 15 DMG taken]
[Kellar, fell 60 feet, 6D6 of damage: 17 DMG]

[…]

Shorjahl and the others gingerly descend into the crater, the mangled bodies of the two warriors cradled in a jagged mess of rock and blood.

Custer glances upward, looking for a sign from Anna.

But she is not there.

===================|

OK guys. You’ve descended approximately 120 feet. You’re all standing in a small crater that Shorjahl made (completely saving your butts).

+20 EXP to Shorjahl for that stroke of genius.

There’s still plenty of distance to travel.

The good news is: it’s not as steep, and it’s rockier!

The bad news: 3 pitons and 2 lengths of rope are hanging like, 40 feet above you. And they’re anchored like, 120 feet above you. So to retrieve them would be nearly impossible without going back up to the top, or breaking the rope.

Same scenario as before. You can use STR or DEX rolls to usher yourselves down the mountain. Make sure you let me know how.

Well, except for those of you taking the cushy “levitate” method Wink

EXP: +20 to the whole party.

OK guys, Anna is nowhere to be seen. Who knows what happened to her at the top of the cliff…

avatar
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 28
Location : ON

Character sheet
Armor Class::
Health:
1/1  (1/1)
Hit Dice::
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Kellar on Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:16 pm

>SNAP!<

Was all Kellar heard, as he turned his head back toward to where the rope was previously attached. The sudden scrape of his boots along the mountainside wasn't enough to even push off of.

SONUVA-! Kellar yelled, and was quickly from the sight of the others, falling down the mountain.

ORBAUGH! CHEST! NOW! he screamed in his mind as he was falling, Orbaugh shifted and clawed his way to his chest. Kellar put both arms around him and tried to firmly hold Orbaugh, but remain limp for impact.

KATHOOOM!!!!

Rocks and debris flew from the mountainside, Kellar could see that it littered the sky. Almost beautiful, he thought, not a bad thing to see before dying. At least it wasn't in the mouth of a dragon.

*CRACK!* Osvald had just impacted!

Kellar held Orbaugh close, and watched the sky fall away from him, assured that his death was imminent.

*CRACK!* Kellar impacted a brief second after Osvald.

All Kellar could hear was the pounding of his heart against his ears, the ache and pain of freefall onto stone. He looked down and saw Orbaugh, feverishly nipping at his chin to get him to wake up.

Master! Master! Wake up! Wake! Up! Yes! He said as he danced on Kellar's chest, happy that his master was still alive.

Kellar could hear Osvald groaning, and he smelled a sour scent near him.Vomit. After the air returned to Kellar's lungs after a few moments, he tried to move his extremities. Left arm good, right arm (possibly dislocated), left left good, right leg (broken ankle), back is good. Everything really hurts though...

Kellar closed his eyes and began breathing deeply. Concentrating on the areas that hurt the most (arm and ankle). From the center of his chest, a rich blue color flowed along his skin toward the areas that were damaged severely. His body shook uncontrollably as the ripples of blue color flowed under his skin. (Second Wind Roll= 9+3= 12 hp recovered! The sickening crunch of re-positioned bones, tightening of ligaments, tendons and muscles could be heard.

Kellar began to breathe normal again, and his stopped shaking, the remaining ripples of blue color flowed from the center of his chest and began to rest over the areas that were damaged. He sat up and checked the wounds, they were a nice dark blue color now. Orbaugh bounced from shoulder to shoulder, checking the wounds of his master along with him. Great, now I'll get even more looks from people. Kellar still ached considerably, but however he came to still be alive, he was thankful.

Orbaugh, lets check on our friend here.


Last edited by Kellar on Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Rollz n Actionz)
avatar
Kellar
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 485
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Wisconsin

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum