Chapter One

Page 11 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Kellar on Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:47 pm

Kellar sees Shrojahl focusing on the spear.

I'll be at the ready, looks like three coffins up there as well, try not to disturb them, warned Kellar.

I'm not so sure the last one I killed will be, uh, un-killed, I guess, stated Kellar as he shrugs.

Orbaugh, let me know if you see any movements at all, I'll be at the ready as well.

Perception Roll= 16+1= 17!

Actions:
*Kellar will actively observe the area for any movement (Active Perception)
*If Kellar detects movement, he'll ready his lance for an attack and will warn the others.


Last edited by Kellar on Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Rollz n Actionz)
avatar
Kellar
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 485
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Wisconsin

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  DiceMaster on Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:47 pm

The member 'Kellar' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 16

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Custer Thickett on Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:40 pm

Custer stops walking, and tilts his head to the right.  "Did ya hear that growl?  Do ya think the wargs know another way in?"

...

Custer slowly and carefully lowers his pack from his shoulders, and leans it up against the wall of the hallway.  He puts the hammer and rope away as he listens to Kilik's prayer.  Custer did not know Dwarven, and so pretended he heard fill our bony bellies with brisket and beer.  When Kilik finished the prayer, Custer followed by whispering the Halfling saying, "Is é Dúthracht an máthair seans maith." Diligence is the mother of good luck.

Custer says, "I'll watch the rear.  Call out if you need me here."  He turns back the way they came, and quietly walks back up the hall 30 feet.  Custer looks for any spot on either wall he could rest or wedge his torch into.  If he doesn't find anything, then he will pile some rocks around the base of the torch to hold it upright on the ground.  Custer wants a light source behind them, so that if it went out or something crossed it to cast a shadow, he would be warned if his attention was the other direction.

Satisfied, Cuss walks back down the hall 20 feet and stops.  With his free hand, he pulls his scarf up over his mouth and nose.  Then, he pulls his cloak tight, spins his body in a thick cobweb to wrap it around him, leans against the wall, and tries his best to stay still and quiet.

[Rolling Stealth +7]
15

-----
[action: Setting torch 30 feet back down the hallway. Hiding in cobwebs 10 feet down the hallway from the entrance to the room.]


Last edited by Custer Thickett on Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:26 pm; edited 3 times in total
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  DiceMaster on Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:40 pm

The member 'Custer Thickett' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 8

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Osvald Hale on Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:01 pm

Osvald readys his bow, and circles a few feet around the side of Kilik and Shorjahl for a clear firing arc past them towards the dias.

'Careful now, Shorjahl...' Osvald hoped, recalling minutes ago the wizards weary face... 'We're almost out of here with all our bits still attached.,.'  

He said a silent prayer to no gods at all, especially them that may listen in such a forlorn place.

=====

Osvald will crouch bow at the ready, with an arrow nocked. Focusing his attention at the raised platform, Perception roll to notice any movement or sound as Shorjahl retrieves the spear.

Perception 6+4=10


Last edited by Osvald Hale on Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Osvald Hale
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 268
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Toronto, Canada

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
41/41  (41/41)
Hit Dice::
4/4  (4/4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  DiceMaster on Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:01 pm

The member 'Osvald Hale' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 6

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Ao on Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:09 pm

Shorjahl's arcane energy flows out from his hands, snaking towards the stone slab. The air becomes colder by the breath. The silence seems impenetrable.

The wizard feels his influence twist around the haft of the spear, and with great care it lifts the artifact a mere fraction above its resting place.

With speed so quick it betrays the fickle light from Shorjahl's bracelet, the skeleton upon the slab rises to its feet. Menacingly, it floats in the air with its arms outstretched, and a horribly cry echoes out through the chamber.

Before you can react, a deafening crack, and a brief blinding light explodes from atop the stone slab. The skeleton is shattered, a concussive force rending across the platform and crumbling the three sarcophagi into piles of rock, bones raining down from the ceiling like hail.

Shorjahl recoils from the explosion, watching the spear crashing violently into the northwest corner of the room. Well out of reach.

And now, atop the slab, stands the orc chieftain's specter you saw in the nexus. Slowly, its deathly luminescence dims as its form becomes corporeal. A nine foot-tall orc, with thin skin stretched across mealy bones, and hollow black eye sockets, stares down at you from the platform.

His armor is rotted and tattered. He reaches down, grabbing the sword from atop the stone slab and lifting it above his head.

"300 years..."

The orc's voice bellows across the chamber, clear and loud.

"300 years!"

He laughs, laughs deeply as he stares into your eyes.

Suddenly, the three stone piles of the desecrated coffins begin to move, and you watch in horror as rotted limbs begin to claw their way up.

Three ghouls emerge from the rubble, their flesh pale and withered nearly to dust. Long strands of paperthin hair hang in a dirty mess from their heads. They are female, though it is nearly impossible to tell.

"Vengeance. At last." The orc whispers, his throat gurgling into a scream as he charges from off the platform.

The ghouls hiss hungrily, and leap towards you.

============================

OK guys. The spear has been blown clean into the northwest corner of the room. Running to grab it is possible, of course, but its about 70 feet away from you and would require a double action...and probably net you an attack of opportunity against you from a ghoul.

Urukath and the 3 ghouls are about 50 and 30 feet away from you, respectively. A little further away from custer, who is lurking in the shadows and has not been noticed.

EXP: +20 Exp to cuss, osvald, kilik, kell and shor
avatar
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 28
Location : ON

Character sheet
Armor Class::
Health:
1/1  (1/1)
Hit Dice::
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Forgeless Kilik on Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:21 pm

Kilik steadied his nerves and advanced upon the undead, his low voice booming with the power of his faith.

Nay, ye shall not have yer vengeance, yer foul things, but only an ending at long last. The gaze of the Watchful Eye has turned upon ye, and sees ye for what ye are: petty, misbegotten filth skulkin' in the darkness. So flee in yer wretchedness, if ye would, or come forward for a taste o' righteous dwarven steel!

His hammer flared with a corona of brilliant light, and two of the ghouls hissed and drew back in fear.  Kilik stared hard at the Chieftan's dead eyes as he called back to his companions:

Let the cowardly things flee; they'll nae harm ye while I live. Our business be with these two foolish gits who doubt the power of the gods theyselves.

-----------------------------------------

Actions:

Moving 25' towards the enemy.
Turn Undead: DC 13 WIS save or turned for 1 minute or until damaged; Ara & Megir fail and are Turned; Urukath & Zsana are unaffected.
Reaction: If one of them hits me with a melee attack, Vengeance of the Storn (DC 13 DEX save or 2d8 thunder damage, half on save)


Last edited by Forgeless Kilik on Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
Forgeless Kilik
Warrior

Posts : 91
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
33/33  (33/33)
Hit Dice::
3/3  (3/3)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  DiceMaster on Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:21 pm

The member 'Forgeless Kilik' has done the following action : Dice Roller

#1 'D20' : 13

--------------------------------

#2 'D20' : 7

--------------------------------

#3 'D20' : 18

--------------------------------

#4 'D20' : 2

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Custer Thickett on Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:04 pm

Custer quietly strings his bow as Kilik moves forward.  Once Kilik has descended the stairs down into the room far enough to offer a clear shot over his head, Custer nocks an arrow.  He can see the center ghoul and the Orc very clearly charging forward on the dais above Kilik.  The ghoul appears focused on Kilik, and ready to attack him.  Custer draws and looses an arrow at it.  

[Rolling Sneak Attack on Zsana with Advantage. +5]
23

Custer's arrow whistles as it zips past the rest of the party in the hall, and over Kilik's head. The arrow strikes true with a dry thump as it wholly disappears in the chest of the ghoul.

Cuss presses his back flat against the hallway wall, hoping the webs and other party members still obscure him from the Orc's view.

[Using Cunning Action with Naturally Stealthy to roll Stealth. +7]
21


Last edited by Custer Thickett on Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  DiceMaster on Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:04 pm

The member 'Custer Thickett' has done the following action : Dice Roller

#1 'D20' : 17, 18

--------------------------------

#2 'D20' : 14

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Shorjahl on Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:32 pm

Seeing Kilik and Cusster's success against the undead nightmares, Shorjahl's bracer alights - his face contorting into a grimace of pain and exhaustion. The familiar chime emanates from his bracer as three condensed packets of arcane energy hurtle toward the two orc fiends not affected by Kilik's divinity.

Two of the missiles impact the ghoul, puncturing through her tattered body and causing her to crumble into the dusty cavern floor. The third missile strikes the orc chieftain in the head, sending up a cloud of detritus, ancient dust, and skin fragments.

--------------

Shorjahl backs away from Kilik, trying to get more protection from his comrades. He knows if it comes to melee, he's dead.

Magic Missile, 2 (for 7 magical damage) against the ghoul
Magic Missile 1 against the chieftain (for 4 magical damage.)


Last edited by Shorjahl on Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Shorjahl
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 227
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 12
Health:
24/24  (24/24)
Hit Dice::
4/4  (4/4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  DiceMaster on Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:32 pm

The member 'Shorjahl' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D4' : 3, 2, 3

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Kellar on Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:45 pm

Kellar sees Kilik and Shorjahl spring into action against the undead orcs standing at the center of the room.

Master Dwarf, keep them busy, I'm after the spear! Shouted Kellar

Orbaugh, stay close, hide under my shield again. Yes Master, I protect you under this shield!

Kellar sprints toward the location of where the spear flew! With one big bound and drop step, Kellar prepares a low squat to burst through the air  Athletics Roll= 5+4=9 (for the leap)

Actions:
*Kellar will double move to get to the horned spear in the corner.
*If Kellar makes it to the spear, he'll use his action surge to pick up the unicorn spear and ready to attack.
*If Kellar is interrupted, he'll prepare second wind to recover HP if he takes damage.


Last edited by Kellar on Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Rollz n Actionz)
avatar
Kellar
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 485
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Wisconsin

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  DiceMaster on Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:45 pm

The member 'Kellar' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 5

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Ao on Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:35 am

The two ghouls balk before Kilik, his divine radiance turning them back. Feverishly, they fall over one another, hissing and frothing at the mouth as they break their charge and go hurtling off into the dark corners of the room.

Urukath pays no heed, and he glides across the room swiftly baring his sword.

“DIE CLERIC.”

The unholy orc descends upon Kilik…

[…]

Kellar speeds toward the spear, watching as the ghoul in his way is turned by Kilik’s resolve.

Quickly, the dragoon makes his way into the northwestern corner of the room.

There, he sees the the horn. It glimmers faintly, despite the lack of light. Kellar can sense a surge of power emanating from the weapon…

[…]

The charging ghoul is shot to the ground with an arrow in its chest, Shorjahl’s arcane blast crackling over its chest.

The blinding flash of another magic missile connects with the orc chieftain as his sword slices through the air above the dwarf.

[Urukath longsword vs. Kilik, 20 (critical!)]
[(4+5) +2 damage = 11 damage]

The sword descends upon Kilik, crushing through his armor with a sickening sound as it cuts across his chest. The ghostly orc smiles, brandishing the sword around with a brutal flourish as he brings it back around for another swipe.

Urukath forces Kilik back, towering over the dwarf and moving him with expert footwork.

The orc stretches out his arm, rippling with undead might. Kilik can feel his life-force being wrenched from his body.

[Urukath, Life Drain vs. Kilik, 9 (miss)]

Strong of will, Kilik can feel Morthammor’s resilience from deep within.

===============

Ok guys. Kellar is 10 feet away from the spear. Urukath is upon Kilik. Please don’t forget that he takes half damage from nonmagical weapons that aren’t silvered.

EXP: +20 to kilik, kellar, shor and cuss
avatar
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 28
Location : ON

Character sheet
Armor Class::
Health:
1/1  (1/1)
Hit Dice::
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Forgeless Kilik on Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:11 am

Kilik gasped as the longsword scraped his ribs. He'd not felt a blow like that in many years, and the memories of desperate battles with orcs and goblins in the foothills of his homeland came flooding back as he felt his breath shorten with pain.

But now, as he had then, Marthammor Duin protected his servant. As the blade bit into Kilik, a concussive blast of holy thunder blew back at the foul deathless orc. A second wave followed followed with an ear-splitting boom as the dwarf swung his hammer in a mighty arc, the prayer upon his lips swallowed entirely by the peal of thunder that shook the cavern as it swept over Urukath.

He shouted encouragemnt to Kellar, but the divine ringing in his ears left his words soundless, and he doubted he was heard at all.

-----------------------------------
Actions:

Wrath of the Storm (from Urukath hitting me): made save; 4 thunder damage

Thunderwave: made save; 7 thunder damage


Last edited by Forgeless Kilik on Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Forgeless Kilik
Warrior

Posts : 91
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
33/33  (33/33)
Hit Dice::
3/3  (3/3)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  DiceMaster on Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:11 am

The member 'Forgeless Kilik' has done the following action : Dice Roller

#1 'D20' : 11

--------------------------------

#2 'D8' : 7, 2

--------------------------------

#3 'D20' : 16

--------------------------------

#4 'D8' : 8, 7

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Custer Thickett on Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:38 pm

Custer nocked another arrow.  As the thunder wave whooshed down the hall and past, Cuss pushed off the wall to set his feet for another shot.  The Orc clashed with Kilik, but was still Custer's view for a clean shot as it floated above higher ground.  He drew and loosed his arrow.

[Rolling Sneak Attack with Advantage against Urukath +5 ]
19

It whistled down the hall past Anna, Osvald, and Shorjahl.  It zipped over Kilik's head and struck the Orc hard in the neck with a loud crack, breaking in half as it ricocheted off the hard, undead skin, flesh, and bone.

Custer stepped forward 5 feet and knelt behind Anna, using her large profile for cover.  He nocked another arrow, and looked at her axe hanging motionless.  At least she makes for good cover.  Cuss had expected her to be timid in a fight with her own kin, but her silent stillness in this crypt was a surprise.  It made him far more uneasy than all the horror he had witnessed since breaking down the stone door.

[Rolling Stealth as Cunning Action and Naturally Stealthy +7]
13


Last edited by Custer Thickett on Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  DiceMaster on Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:38 pm

The member 'Custer Thickett' has done the following action : Dice Roller

#1 'D20' : 14, 9

--------------------------------

#2 'D20' : 6

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Osvald Hale on Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:10 pm

Osvald took a stride forward, to the bottom of the stairs as Kiliks thunder clap crashed through the chamber.

He fires an arrow toward Urukath, hoping to catch any opening in the giant Orcs armor--the thrum of his bow buried by the ringing in his ears.

=====

Move to bottom of stairs, firing an arrow at Urukath.

1 (fumbleicous!)


Last edited by Osvald Hale on Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Osvald Hale
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 268
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Toronto, Canada

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
41/41  (41/41)
Hit Dice::
4/4  (4/4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  DiceMaster on Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:10 pm

The member 'Osvald Hale' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 1

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Kellar on Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:57 pm

Kellar sees the spear laying in the corner and he stows his lance on his back and picks up the spear.

The sound of thunder roaring through the cavern and his ears surprisingly narrows his vision on the Warlord that struck Kilik.

The echoes ringing in his ears, he can see Kilik trying to say something, all Kellar can hear is the sound of his own heartbeat and the tension of the muscles in his legs.

Kellar crouches low, spear in both hands as he leaps into the air, toward the Warlord! Athletics Roll= 12+4=16!

I'll put you down for good! Kellar shouted as he flew through the air.

Kellar crashes into Urukath's chest, spear first, feeling the crunch of spear hitting armor and bone underneath! Attack Roll= 17+4=21 Hit!; Damage= 3+4+4= 11!

Actions:
*Kellar moves 10 feet to pick up the spear and stow his lance, and continues movement. He then uses Action Surge to attack with the spear.
*OOC- Uknown what the damage was from the spear, used 1d12+4 as the damage, didn't know the magical properties of the spear or damage!


Last edited by Kellar on Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Rollz n Actionz)
avatar
Kellar
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 485
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Wisconsin

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  DiceMaster on Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:57 pm

The member 'Kellar' has done the following action : Dice Roller

#1 'D20' : 12

--------------------------------

#2 'D20' : 17

--------------------------------

#3 'D6' : 4, 3

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Shorjahl on Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:48 pm

Shorjahl's mind swims with vertigo and nausea - memories of finding his bracer slamming into his overladen mind. He can hardly stand from exhaustion, the skin shredded beneath his fingernails, bleeding and dripping along the floor. His hands tremble, his posture stiff and hunched, as he shakily pulls the crossbow from its baldric at his hip.

He starts backing away as he sees Kilik take a devastating blow from the undead - it has been weeks since he's fired his crossbow in aggression. He took as careful aim as he could, his eyes watering and sweat beading on his brow - despite the cold. He pulls the trigger and hopes it finds its mark. The bolt whistles through the air - but in his reticence to hit Kilik, it goes high and clatters along the back wall.

---------

Actions: move back, draw crossbow, fire crossbow at Orc chief, miss. All outta spells.


Last edited by Shorjahl on Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Shorjahl
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 227
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 12
Health:
24/24  (24/24)
Hit Dice::
4/4  (4/4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  DiceMaster on Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:48 pm

The member 'Shorjahl' has done the following action : Dice Roller

#1 'D20' : 10

--------------------------------

#2 'D8' : 4

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Custer Thickett on Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:59 pm

Custer yells out, "Not the spear! We neee..."
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Ao on Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:01 am

An unholy cry echoes through the chamber as Kellar descends from above, the spear penetrating effotlessly through the ethereal body of Urukath.

The chieftain stares upward as the spear buries itself in the ground, the haft still sticking out through his back.

"Cursed..."

The words drip from his lips as he collapses over, the ghostly body disintegrating as it hits the ground.

Urukath's longsword clangs upon the ground, the hand attached to it blending into another plane.

From off in the darkness, you can hear the gnashing teeth of the ghouls silence.

Once again, the crypt has become quiet.

==================================

Ok guys, you completely annihilated that combat. But hey, that's ok! Kilik crushed with that turn undead roll, and everyone had some good stuff.

I actually didnt expect that spear-ful return from Kellar. When I looked up the stats I had assigned to that badboy I facepalmed a bit. But hey, the man deserved the victory.

(For those of you unaware, Kellar's post above had inaccurate damage. The spear did 1D6+3 damage, +3D6 damage on the first impact with Urukath. So he bit it hard, as it was magical and the damage need not be halved)

EXP: +320 to each of you for cleansing the tomb of Urukath.

A quick search of the room will reveal a variety of bones and other worthless knicknacks in urns and jars about the place. The sarcophagus' are collapsed piles of stone, and searching through them would take some time for sure.

Unless you plan on doing some more in-depth, specific searching, you uncover only Urukath's fallen longsword and the spear (in The Spoils, of course. You guys can agree on who gets it).

There is the stone door to the west, should you be inclined to open it. Or you might decide to return through from whence you came. Time is a-ticking...and you still need to return the horn to the sickly horse, if the legend is to be believed!

EXP: +20 Shor, Cuss, Kell, Kilik, Osvald
avatar
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 28
Location : ON

Character sheet
Armor Class::
Health:
1/1  (1/1)
Hit Dice::
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Custer Thickett on Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:15 am

"eed it for the horse.  By the Lady's luck, that worked!  Ya crazier than an outhouse rat!  Is the horn ok?"  Custer yells from the hallway.

...

Custer keeps an arrow nocked in his bow as he moves onto the steps overlooking the room.  Where'd them ghouls go?

...

Custer puts away his arrow and unstrings his bow.  He kneels below the stairs and says a quiet prayer of thanks as he palms the holy symbol of Waukeen hanging from his neck.  Custer rises and looks to Kilik.  "How ya fair, Dwarf?"

...

Custer climbs platform and claims one unbroken arrow.  He uses a dagger to pull the arrowhead off the other split shaft.  Custer points at the stone door with the dagger and says, "Kilik, do ya think that may give us a dry way out of this crypt?  I only have a handful of pitons left, but the crowbars might do the job."

...

Custer looks at Urukath's sword.  "Could fetch some good coin for this back home.  We could be splittin it, what say ya?"
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Forgeless Kilik on Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:56 pm

Kilik winced as his prodded at his ribs. Ay, that'll need some attendin' to.

We should be on our way...the ghouls will be back afore ye know it, an' spittin' mad.

The dwarf offered a quiet prayer of thanks in the language of his people, and felt his his wounds begin to heal as divine power surged through him in response. Thankee, holy Marthammor, ye got me through another scrape there, an' one I'll not soon be forgettin'. The pain subsided and his breathing steadied.

He blinked at Custer and the sword, and spat on the ground. I'll nae be carryin' cursed orcish steel; do what ye will with it.

Squinting at the sealed door, he shook his head and said I cannae tell what might lie beyond, but I've had enough o' surprises in this place. Let us retrace our steps and keep to our appointed meetin'.

------------------------------------

Actions:
Cure wounds on himself (last spell): regains 10 hp
Stonecunning (to see if it's likely that the other passage is an exit, based on what I know about tomb construction): 13


Last edited by Forgeless Kilik on Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Forgeless Kilik
Warrior

Posts : 91
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
33/33  (33/33)
Hit Dice::
3/3  (3/3)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  DiceMaster on Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:56 pm

The member 'Forgeless Kilik' has done the following action : Dice Roller

#1 'D8' : 7

--------------------------------

#2 'D20' : 8

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Shorjahl on Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:01 pm

Shorjahl nods in relief at the end of the foul creature. His legs buckle a bit and he steadies himself on the nearest shoulder he can find. "The dwarf speaks wisdom - we should head back out the way we came. By now, I presume, the wargs will have moved on. Who knows what dangers lie deeper in," he indicates the western passage with an exhausted nod of his head.

He rights himself, rubbing his face as if to wake himself up, mussing his beard and running his fingers back through his hair. "Let's go." Shorjahl begins walking out the way they came, nocking another bolt in his crossbow. He looks a man drained - almost translucent - as if he'd fade away. With effort, he raised his arm and lit the way with his chiming bracer.
avatar
Shorjahl
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 227
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 12
Health:
24/24  (24/24)
Hit Dice::
4/4  (4/4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Kellar on Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:35 pm

I'd prefer to not dally about here. As for the sword, I have no need of it, perhaps Lord Hale could use it? Questioned Kellar.

As for this spear, there's more to it than I thought, maybe that's what brought those foul creatures to life. If you don't mind, I'll keep it on my person for now until we make it back to town, he continued.

Let's head back the way we came, at least we know that way out, Kellar stated.

Orbaugh, you've been very brave, but perhaps you'd learn a thing or two from me when we're able to fully rest?
Like what Master? Orbaugh very brave, yes he is, brave!
I do not doubt your bravery Orbaugh!

Kellar stows the spear on his back, next to his lance and brandishes his axe in one hand, and a freshly lit torch in the other. Someone grab Anna, she's been catatonic since we encountered that eye-mouth... thing. Let's get out of here, he stated.

I'll guard our retreat, stay sharp, we may yet encounter something else on the way out, Kellar said as he fell in behind the rest of the group.

Actions:
*Kellar will fall in behind the group and keep Anna in front of him along the way.
*Kellar will actively check behind the group for noise or movement (Perception Check= 16)


Last edited by Kellar on Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Rollz n Actionz)
avatar
Kellar
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 485
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Wisconsin

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  DiceMaster on Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:35 pm

The member 'Kellar' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 16

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Custer Thickett on Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:12 pm

Custer looks at Kellar, "Hale?  Ya right."  Cuss picks up the sword and steps in front of Osvald.  He takes a knee and lays the sword across his arm in presentation, and lifts it to Osvald, "Lord Hale, I present ya the sword of Urukath Blackbrier."  I hope it isn't really cursed...

...

Cuss fetches the torch he left 30 feet up the hall they came through, and holds it high as he walks at the rear of the party.  He shouts forward, "If ya see a good size bone that isn't cursed, let me know.  I'm of mind to tie it to me rope and float it back outside to see if anything will a grab hold."


Last edited by Custer Thickett on Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Kellar on Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:16 pm

Kellar shrugs and rolls his eyes slightly at Cus' dramatic presentation to Osvald.

*sigh*

I suppose you're right little one, Kellar mutters.

Kellar nudges Cus's shoulder with his closed fist as they walk up the hall.
avatar
Kellar
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 485
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Wisconsin

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Custer Thickett on Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:30 pm

Custer looks at Kellar and feints a look of shock, then smiles as he brushes off his shoulder with his free hand. "Careful, there. Blue's not me color."
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Ao on Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:52 pm

[Hey guys, need a few to prep for tonight's post..and I'm exhausted. Will post in the morning. +20 XP bonus for everyone]
avatar
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 28
Location : ON

Character sheet
Armor Class::
Health:
1/1  (1/1)
Hit Dice::
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Osvald Hale on Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:07 pm

Osvald spits on the crypt floor as the Chieftan disintegrates into the ether.

"Regards from a son of Hale, may we meet again in hell."

...

Osvald throws his head back and laughs, firmly clamping one hand on Cuss shoulder and the other on the hilt of the sword.

"By all the gods of earth and stone, I thank ye for this prize, halfling. If only my ancestors could see me now--I believe they'd piss themselves with laughter..."

He tests the heft of the sword, looks down it's length. Despite his bravado, inwardly he swelled with pride. True, Urukath hadn't met his end at Osvalds own hand, but these companions were the closest thing the huntsman has had to friends in too many years... And loyalty was as good as blood in Osvalds eyes.

He retrieves some cloth from the edge of the Dias, some filthy Orcish banner, and tears a stip off, wrapping it carefully around the entire sword before slinging it between his back and pack, concealing the blade completely.

He hums a prayer-song to the dead as he does so.

'Find peace, Ausen. I hope these deeds done here today may return some honor to our name.'

Osvald looks around the crypt, at the stone slab in the wall.

"I agree. We've come this far, and barely. In my experience: it's best to run out before your luck does. I say we return up the passage, we know the route and can move quickly before we disturb whatever else slumbers here."

He moves back up the stairs towards weary Shorjahl and web-wrapped Cuss.

"You both look like hell. I suppose I'm rubbing off on you two," He says with a broad grin. "I just realized... Since the legend of the horn has proven thus far true... I've got a little elvish in me. Huh. Must be how I got so damn handsome." He says, throwing his head back with another hearty laugh, the fresh scars on his chin rippling in the torchlight.

'...and probably how I manage those parlour tricks of mine.'

His mind drifts for a moment to a friend, locked in a cage, in a cave. A different life.

'I'll seek you out one day, old friend--you damned stupid elf.'

=====

Osvald will take Urukths sword, and conceal it from sight amongst his gear, and agree that the party should go back the way they came.

OOC: hard fought, everyone! Good work.
avatar
Osvald Hale
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 268
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Toronto, Canada

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
41/41  (41/41)
Hit Dice::
4/4  (4/4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Ao on Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:36 pm

The fellowship ascends the staircase, leaving the crypt of Urukath, chieftain of the Blackbriars, to silence.

Custer’s torchlight lights the way as you wind yourselves out of the buried fortress into the network of catacombs above. The way is solemn and silent, following your footsteps through the twisting tunnels.

The large, fist-sized gem glimmers as you walk past it in the chamber of bones, the giant earthen pillars holding the ceiling aloft…

[…]

After a half hour, the cold air of the subterranean cavern reaches your nostrils as you ascend the final passage of the crypt.

Custer climbs over the shattered boulder at the entrance, emerging on the rocky island in the mountain that the domed crypt sits upon.

The small lake ripples with torchlight, and you can see the entryway that flows out to the valley beyond.

[…]

Waist-high in water, you have nearly arrived at the mouth of tunnel into the valley when the sight of torchlight catches your eyes.

As Custer rounds the corner, he can see clearly into the clearing where they once defeated the enchanted vines.

Now, there is a camp.

Torches burn alongside a large tent, where a dozen orcs toil alongside as many wargs.

==============

Ok guys, you have left the crypt and are upon the clearing where you first entered the mountainside.

Except now, there is an orc camp there. Perhaps they followed your trail to this point - it is unclear. They do not appear to be actively concerned with the entrance to the mountain that you are standing in (indeed, it looks like nothing more than a cave-mouth from which a small waterfall gurgles)

But, they are firmly entrenched. After watching for a few minutes, you can count 10 orcs, 4 wargs, in addition to whoever is in the large 10-foot diameter tent.

As an aside, the cavern where the crypt was does lead deeper into the mountain…this is not the only way out. But the other way is unknown…

I need specific instructions on how you plan on proceeding

EXP: +20 each (make sure to add it yourself!)
avatar
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 28
Location : ON

Character sheet
Armor Class::
Health:
1/1  (1/1)
Hit Dice::
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Forgeless Kilik on Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:05 pm

I do nae like our chances against that many, even if they are only orcs. Kilik whispered to the others.

The dwarf sighed heavily as he thought back to the stone door in the crypts below. The Finder-of-Trails set an unknown path 'afore me, an' I turned my steps an' fled back up familiar tunnels. That is nae our way, and does no honor to Marthammor Duin.

He muttered a quiet dwarven prayer, Forgive me, Great One, if I failed ye in this. Me bones ached, we thought our journey done, an' me tired eyes could nae read the signs ye set 'afore us. Onward, then; show me the path, an' I will follow.

He smoothed his fiery beard with a calloused hand as he turned his back on the cave mouth to address his companions. I see the hand of the Watcher-Over-Wanderers in this. he gestured at the camp beyond the waterfall. It seems our road leads further into darkness 'afore it returns to the light. We should finish what we begun in the crypts; I'll take dead orcs over livin', if I can help it. What say yer? Anybody itchin' to see the inside of an orcish cookpot?

---------------------------------------------
Actions:

Kilik is in favor of returning to the sealed passage in the crypt. Depending on how we think we're doing for time and where everybody else is at, he'd also be in favor of trying to take a short rest somewhere away from the cave mouth and easily defensible.
avatar
Forgeless Kilik
Warrior

Posts : 91
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
33/33  (33/33)
Hit Dice::
3/3  (3/3)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Ao on Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:48 pm

[As a side note, you have approximately 24 hours left until the Esrelembar. And you're looking at about 8-10 hours of travel through the foothills of the small teeth, and the brown lands.]
avatar
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 28
Location : ON

Character sheet
Armor Class::
Health:
1/1  (1/1)
Hit Dice::
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Custer Thickett on Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:24 pm

Custer holds his free hand up, open palm, to signal a stop.  He then dips the end of his torch in the water, the light reduced as the flame hisses and disappears.  Only the faint glow of Shorjahl's bracer remained, and that of the camp on the other end of the tunnel.

Custer lets his eyes adjust to the light and narrowed his eyes, trying to see if he recognized any of the Orcs from the Clan.

[Rolling Perception +1]
8

Custer turned to the party and brought his hand to his face, placing a finger over his lips to signal quiet.  He then waved them back up the tunnel.

...

Returned to the room, Custer follows Kilik's whisper with his own.  "Only if I'm fishing out the last helpins to fill me belly.  It's not the Orcs I worry about, but those wargs.  One can outsmart an Orc, but not..."  Custer pauses and looks at Anna.  Met with a blank stare, Custer continues, "the nose of a warg.  That is probably a hunting party from the Clan.  If Uru pravailed against Kesian, I doubts he would come to find us here.  Yet, we did mention to him that we were seeking this tomb.  They, " Custer points down the tunnel, "know we are here.  Time's a running out on us."


Last edited by Custer Thickett on Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  DiceMaster on Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:24 pm

The member 'Custer Thickett' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 7

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Kellar on Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:00 pm

Figures. Fall back to the room with the ruby, Kellar said to Cus after hearing the bad news.

I suggest we setup camp at the mouth of the tunnel leading to the room with the dead undead orcs, Kellar continued. That way we're not in the center of that room, but can make it easily defensible since we'd bottleneck them at that point.

Master Dwarf, you checked the supports of that room, is there a way we can tie rope to those supports and pull that down, should we need a hasty retreat? Kellar asked as he was dropping his pack onto the ground and grabbing a ration. We should get some food in our bellies while we can.

Here you go Orbaugh, need your strength.
Thanks! Orbaugh snatched a part of the ration from Kellar's hand and tuck himself down on the floor near him.

Little one, if you're interested in that ruby, maybe we could tie a rope around that and the supports and pull them at the same time?

Actions:
*Group falls back to the hallway opening on the other end of the ruby room, then Kellar will help prepare a makeshift trap to cover their escape if needed.

avatar
Kellar
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 485
Join date : 2014-09-15
Location : Wisconsin

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 18
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Custer Thickett on Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:13 pm

"Aye, a trap's a good idea, but we're on better ground for a fight right here. The passage is not only narrow, but waist deep with a modest current. Shorjahl, Osvald, and myself can take up positions on high ground or above the entrance. Anna, Kilik, and yourself line the shore here just out from the entrance, and we can take them as they come out of the tunnel. We have good size boulders over there, " Custer motions to the crumbled door, "We could either roll them into the entrance so as to trip them up underwater or line the shore with them to kick in as they try to come out of the water."

Custer looks up at Shorjahl. "I know it isn't a great plan, but we don'ts know for sure that there is another way out of this place if we take all the time to walk back down there. The stone door also didn't look all that easy to open, even if it can be. Cherous is waiting and Maleil doesn't have much time."

Custer follows Kellar's example and fetches a ration from his pack. He also fills an empty waterskin with the cold mountain water, and splashes some of it on his face.
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Ao on Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:34 am

The fellowship stands in the river way, discussing their options while they observe the Orc camp beyond the waterfall...

The orcs mill about, seemingly defensively. Though it is dark in the canyon, you can see several orcs patrolling the perimeter with weapons in their scabbards, or across their backs. There is no mounting of aggression, nor assault on your position. They seem to be fortifying where they stand, as if waiting or searching for something.

As Custer and Kellar speak, the main flap of the tent outside opens. A man struts out, only his silhouette visible from this distance.

But by his posture and movement, it is clear that it is Keisan.

==============

EXP: +20 to Kilik, Custer and kellar
avatar
Ao
The Unseen
The Unseen

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 28
Location : ON

Character sheet
Armor Class::
Health:
1/1  (1/1)
Hit Dice::
0/0  (0/0)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Shorjahl on Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:47 am

Shorjahl leans over, his breath heavy, his bracer dimming into darkness. He puts both hands on his knees, looking down between his feet as if he's about to be sick. "I don't like to admit when I'm defeated - but I am on the verge of fainting. My ability to summon the arcane is nearly diminished. Perhaps it is wise to retract into the cavern, find an isolated chamber, and rest there." He looks up at the party, the pain and exhaustion evident on his face. It's almost as if he's pleading. "At least, for a few hours."

-------------------------

If nobody objects, Shorjahl will lead the party back to the most secure cavern. I'll roll an Investigation and an Intelligence check to determine what "most secure" is.

Investigation: 24
Intelligence: 16


Last edited by Shorjahl on Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Shorjahl
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 227
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 12
Health:
24/24  (24/24)
Hit Dice::
4/4  (4/4)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  DiceMaster on Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:47 am

The member 'Shorjahl' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'D20' : 19, 11

DiceMaster
Winds of Fate

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Custer Thickett on Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:29 am

Custer poses as to be holding an invisible bow.  He draws and looses an invisible arrow at Kesian's silhouette, and quietly whistles the flight, ending with, "Pop."  Next time.

"Very well, Shorjy, by ya lead then.  Didn't need me tea getting wet again anyhow."  Custer will again form up at the rear of the party, and encourage quiet travel.  "They're going to be coming behind us soon, Shorjy.  By morning, for sure, or my name's not Custer Thi-ah... Cuss.

[Rolling stealth +7]
25


Last edited by Custer Thickett on Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:30 am; edited 2 times in total
avatar
Custer Thickett
Hero of Legend
Hero of Legend

Posts : 665
Join date : 2014-09-15

Character sheet
Armor Class:: 16
Health:
49/49  (49/49)
Hit Dice::
6/6  (6/6)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter One

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum